Speculation: Karlsson back in Ottawa/Montreal

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
BRENNAN: This time, Karlsson might be more inclined to consider Senators’ offer

While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens.

Only speculations of course ("a well-connected source"), and I would be really surprised to see him going back in Ottawa after last year debacle, at least while Dorion is the GM.

I think the NYR would be the best fit, but Montreal is an intriguing idea. The Habs would have to get rid of Petry for sure, but I'm pretty sure they could get a excellent offer for him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, I guess Hoffman is gone... But, yes there still is Dorion. The hockey world would be absolutely shocked if Karlsson returned to Ottawa.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Almost 30 million for weber price and karlsson is great on paper but the injury concerns with all three would make it a major gamble by MB. That being said if healthy Karlsson setting up Weber for that cannon of a shot it would be deadly especially on the PP

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Let me get this straight: after years of complaining about Weber and Price's contracts, Hab fans want to sign Karlsson for 70m+?

Remember it's not just the multiple groin injuries, he hasn't been the same since they removed a big chunk of his ankle. He's starting to remind me of how Peter Forsberg's career went.

Haven’t seen many fans complaining about Price and Weber’s contract. Especially Weber’s

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't see Karlsson returning to the Sens; montreal is a possibility; but I guess habs are looking to add offense up front

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Let me get this straight: after years of complaining about Weber and Price's contracts, Hab fans want to sign Karlsson for 70m+?

Remember it's not just the multiple groin injuries, he hasn't been the same since they removed a big chunk of his ankle. He's starting to remind me of how Peter Forsberg's career went.

To be fair, more complaining about Weber and Price's contracts came from other fans than Montreal fans.

Especially since Weber's contract probably isn't going to be as onerous long term as people seem to think. Price's contract is another story.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
having two huge contracts in weber and karlsson given the identity of the habs (young and rebuilding) don't think jives well.

I think their defense is decent they just need help up front

Yeah they've got a good thing going finally having depth at C. Trading for a young D and going for someone like Panarin makes more sense IMO.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
having two huge contracts in weber and karlsson given the identity of the habs (young and rebuilding) don't think jives well.

I think their defense is decent they just need help up front
Mete and Kulak are currently in the top 4. The Habs defense is a disaster. Their PP was also a disaster and Karlsson would help out a lot. If Erik Karlsson is interested to sign with the Habs, it would be stupid on their part not to sign him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Mete and Kulak are currently in the top 4. The Habs defense is a disaster. Their PP was also a disaster and Karlsson would help out a lot. If Erik Karlsson is interested to sign with the Habs, it would be stupid on their part not to sign him.

Karlsson is probably looking at a huge cap hit with term; it would be bad on habs' part to invest in it IMO

Reactions: atrud66

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think this is a spot where a source is telling the writer what he wants to hear more than anything else. EK65 isn't going back to Ottawa. He may go back east but it won't be Ottawa. This is the same guy that said that EK65 to Tampa was a done deal in July.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Karlsson is probably looking at a huge cap hit with term; it would be bad on habs' part to invest in it IMO
I disagree. He provides some much needed offense for the Habs. It's either that or do absolutely nothing with the cap space for a 3rd straight year.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Guy wants to be int he Northeast. If he values location over weather/money/ect Ottawa and Montreal make (at least a little bit) of sense.

I still think we'll see go to the Rangers or Islanders given the Sens/Melnyk's widely publicized penny pinching.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah they've got a good thing going finally having depth at C. Trading for a young D and going for someone like Panarin makes more sense IMO.

my thoughts exactly. habs sa/g on average was pretty decent also their sf/g on average was also decent; they need finishers up front IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00