News Article: Karlsson and Dorion/Melnyk didn't talk after November

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The no-trade list was requested in November. Karlsson's statement about only accepting market value was in December.
It was at the end of November when he said it.

I really do believe it was motivated by the Turris trade. You could hear the bitterness. That move was the first domino.

Reactions: Alex1234

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I really do believe it was motivated by the Turris trade. You could hear the bitterness. That move was the first domino.

Wasn't there a rumor that Melnyk also had some sort of incident with Turris in the first place (around the fact that Turris should take a hometown discount)? I mean, Turris straight up said that ownership was the reason he got traded. Then there was the whole Julie Turris - Dorion exchange. It probably became crystal clear to Karlsson that whatever happened to Turris was going to happen to him, so he then said that he wanted market value, which probably pissed off Melnyk again. Led to another incident, and Dorion knew he probably had to trade him. Then throughout the summer, Karlsson, like the rest of us, probably banked on ownership change to stay.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Well, I have nothing to add that hasn't been said, but that won't stop me.
what the team has said about the rebuild plans makes no sense on the face of it. If I have it all correct, I think we are supposed to believe that:
  • management made a big decision in February to go full rebuild.
  • held some town halls and told everyone that they would offer EK a contract on July 1. (although interestingly he did say "If Eric is still here".
  • offer contract on July 1. mission accomplished.
  • trade 1 day before training camp.
  • in the post trade news conference (and a post news conference correction) a statement was made that the team realized much after Feb. that "for a rebuild, Eric would get the biggest payback).
ok, so the guy who's entire life has been evaluating talent decides on a rebuild in February and doesn't realize until sometime much much later that "wait a minute, turns out we have this generational player on our team. I bet we can get a lot for him, not to mention how much we will have to pay him".

I don't even feel that the team's spin is internally logical, much less how any sane person would have handled this situation.

side note on someone's comment about EK clearly not going to take a home town discount.

as a fan, I like them of course, but for a player, forget it. take the money and run. guys will make there own decisions about quality of life, etc. but the big thing here is, generally these discounts are so that the team can go grab another star and fit them under the cap.

We are not a cap team and will not be in the foreseeable future. there is no reason for a player to take a discount.

off the top of my head, the only discount I would have taken if I was Eric and didn't mind playing for uncle Euge would be: ok, I'll play for 10, instead of 12, but I want a 10% share of the team. I don't even know if the cba allows that, but you get the idea.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

yeah, Nov 30th. Possible that they asked for the No trade list right after that as retaliation, but more likely that it came first or Karlsson is mis-remembering when the request for his no trade list was made. The rumours about him being asked for it didn't come out till Dec 9th or 10th.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Karlsson and Turris were best friends on the team, Turris being traded bugged him for the rest of the year.

SensFan613

Jun 16, 2006
Ottawa
Turris was definitely the last straw. When Turris was in town after the trade he hung out with Karlsson. I recall people seeing the two of them anId their wives out for dinner in serious conversation. I wonder what they talked about...Ian Mendes likely knows this for a fact but he offered it up as his best guess at to what happened. Karlsson saw Turris get the it's just business treatment and said ok if I am going to be treated like an asset then I want market and nothing less.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Well, I have nothing to add that hasn't been said, but that won't stop me.
what the team has said about the rebuild plans makes no sense on the face of it. If I have it all correct, I think we are supposed to believe that:
  • management made a big decision in February to go full rebuild.
  • held some town halls and told everyone that they would offer EK a contract on July 1. (although interestingly he did say "If Eric is still here".
  • offer contract on July 1. mission accomplished.
  • trade 1 day before training camp.
  • in the post trade news conference (and a post news conference correction) a statement was made that the team realized much after Feb. that "for a rebuild, Eric would get the biggest payback).
ok, so the guy who's entire life has been evaluating talent decides on a rebuild in February and doesn't realize until sometime much much later that "wait a minute, turns out we have this generational player on our team. I bet we can get a lot for him, not to mention how much we will have to pay him".

I don't even feel that the team's spin is internally logical, much less how any sane person would have handled this situation.

side note on someone's comment about EK clearly not going to take a home town discount.

as a fan, I like them of course, but for a player, forget it. take the money and run. guys will make there own decisions about quality of life, etc. but the big thing here is, generally these discounts are so that the team can go grab another star and fit them under the cap.

We are not a cap team and will not be in the foreseeable future. there is no reason for a player to take a discount.

off the top of my head, the only discount I would have taken if I was Eric and didn't mind playing for uncle Euge would be: ok, I'll play for 10, instead of 12, but I want a 10% share of the team. I don't even know if the cba allows that, but you get the idea.

Lol it's not just that. Dorion decides in November to go all in. Gives up our lotto first and then 2 months later in February he tears it down. Without the first.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Management should have known that anything less than Doughty's contract would be an insult.
The fact that they never took the time to talk to Karlsson or attempt to let him know what their plans were .....with or without him, tells you tons! This organization will continue to falter if this is how they treat valued players. Stone and Duchene are next on the block.
Hard to get behind them as a fan when they continue to screw up.
EK's words about the San Jose organization were a nice little jab at what Ottawa is lacking.
Must admit; I hope he wins the cup!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm legit starting to wonder if the $8mil per year number floating around in some circles really was the 'big' offer to Erik in July. Seems incredibly stupid, but everything this organization has done over the past year has been incredibly stupid.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'm legit starting to wonder if the $8mil per year number floating around in some circles really was the 'big' offer to Erik in July. Seems incredibly stupid, but everything this organization has done over the past year has been incredibly stupid.

Nah. I'm guessing their big offer was 11 x 8 . To them the extra year at 11 million was this insane massive big offer.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Hmm, I heard about an incident between Eugene and Karlsson taking place in the winter, but it sounded like the BS gossip you hear on occasion, even though it was coming from a reliable source.

I wonder if it was true and ultimately Eugene refused to let Dorion re-sign Karlsson, subsequently leaving him no option but to trade him.

If it's true, it would explain why they asked for the no-trade list, and why they were listening to offers at the deadline.
Care to share?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hilarious that people are in here defending it and getting butt hurt, when they know themselves that this group can not negotiate at all. Quite clearly the worst front office in the league.

What a joke forum full of shills. Listen to the most recent Spittin Chiclets how they talk about the last year. These are ex-NHLers who are plugged in. I guess you guys sitting on your mediocre IKEA armchair know better than these guys?

Joke community right now

Prove me wrong

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I read somewhere that Dreger said on the radio that he can confirm the offer was 8 x $11M. I can't seem to find it though. I don't think it was on Ottawa radio. It anyone has it please post.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I read somewhere that Dreger said on the radio that he can confirm the offer was 8 x $11M. I can't seem to find it though. I don't think it was on Ottawa radio. It anyone has it please post.

I've seen / heard 8*11 from several places at this point.

I've read most everything in here about which is decidedly negative about the offer and out in real life talking to guys at the office and having beers after playing myself the sentiment I hear runs about 75 / 25 in favour of f*** him if he won't sign for 88 million

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Another day, another lie gets exposed.
Do these lies count as incidents? Surprised nobody has bumped that thread recently with everything going on.

You're assuming that EK65, alone, is telling the truth ....... and everyone else are always telling lies.

Reactions: Variable26

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hmm, I heard about an incident between Eugene and Karlsson taking place in the winter, but it sounded like the BS gossip you hear on occasion, even though it was coming from a reliable source.

I wonder if it was true and ultimately Eugene refused to let Dorion re-sign Karlsson, subsequently leaving him no option but to trade him.

If it's true, it would explain why they asked for the no-trade list, and why they were listening to offers at the deadline.

At some point, near the beginning of the season, all players with LNCs are asked to update their list of teams.

This is routine and is done by all teams.

IF EM refused to let PD re-sign EK65, prior to the deadline .......... then he would have been traded at the deadline ......... because that was when they would have gotten the best return for him.

As he was not traded at the deadline, the decision to trade him was made after, as EM would have wanted EK65s salary off the books asap and also get the most for him.

Everyone in these threads claim the EM is a penny pinching miser, so why did he not order EK65 gone at the deadline?

Actions speak louder than words.

In order for the rumour that EM wanted EK65 traded prior to the deadline, relies heavily on everyone in the Senators management to be liars, and be lying all the time, from Febuary right through to training camp ......... all for the sake of a couple of thousand (at the most) season ticket sales.

I just don't buy the rumour that everyone here takes as the gospel truth.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Lol, they wanted to sign him so bad that they didn't talk to him for 6 months before offering a contract.

Why did they bother offering a contract then? What is the harm in talking? At the very least you find out exactly what his demands are and then can convey that to other GMs in trade talks if it helps move a deal along.

Sorry, but their is zero excuse for not trying. What if he was just posturing in the media and was willing to accept 9 million, but then after not being talked to for 6 months he decided that the team really didn't want him around and so he rejected an even higher offer.

So if he was willing to take $9 Million over 8 years ........ and they offered his (reportedly) $11 million over 8 years ........ you're saying he's stupid enough to walk away from $88 million?

Also ........ why do you assume that PD is the only one that should initiate contract talks??

Why didn't EK65s agent pick up his phone, and call PD and set up a meeting to talk?

When more to this story comes out, and it will, there will be enough blame to go around, and EK65 and his agent will have their share.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
You're assuming that EK65, alone, is telling the truth ....... and everyone else are always telling lies.
Why does management constantly contradict themselves? If they were telling truth this wouldn't happen.

Funny that you mention in the subsequent post that actions speak louder than words. Through these contradictions their own actions have resulted in me being cynical and not trusting them. I'm happy to trust them once they have earnt that trust again.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Why does management constantly contradict themselves? If they were telling truth this wouldn't happen.

Funny that you mention in the subsequent post that actions speak louder than words. Through these contradictions their own actions have resulted in me being cynical and not trusting them. I'm happy to trust them once they have earnt that trust again.

I agree that PD has extremely poor communication skills, in his second language, and often has to clarify the misconceptions that arise from his statements (in english) that don't make sense, when put into context with previous statements. Sometimes his clarifications make things worse.

I just can't believe that he's the bumbling moron that everyone here seems to actually believe he is.

Even a five year old would have known that if you trade EK65 at the deadline, you get the most back for him, than you would if you trade him at any point after the deadline.

PD knows this, and that is why I believe the decision to trade him, instead of whom ever they may have contemplated trading, was made after the deadline.

It is ludicrous to actually believe that the owner and GM of a NHL franchise, constantly lies to everyone, all the time........... and in this case, for the sake of some season ticket sales.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I agree that PD has extremely poor communication skills, in his second language, and often has to clarify the misconceptions that arise from his statements (in english) that don't make sense, when put into context with previous statements. Sometimes his clarifications make things worse.

I just can't believe that he's the bumbling moron that everyone here seems to actually believe he is.

Even a five year old would have known that if you trade EK65 at the deadline, you get the most back for him, than you would if you trade him at any point after the deadline.

PD knows this, and that is why I believe the decision to trade him, instead of whom ever they may have contemplated trading, was made after the deadline.

It is ludicrous to actually believe that the owner and GM of a NHL franchise, constantly lies to everyone, all the time........... and in this case, for the sake of some season ticket sales.

Quit with this first language garbage. His lies contradict themselves in French as well. He is from ORLEANS not Quebec City, he has been surrounded by the English language his entire life.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
So if he was willing to take $9 Million over 8 years ........ and they offered his (reportedly) $11 million over 8 years ........ you're saying he's stupid enough to walk away from $88 million?

Also ........ why do you assume that PD is the only one that should initiate contract talks??

Why didn't EK65s agent pick up his phone, and call PD and set up a meeting to talk?

When more to this story comes out, and it will, there will be enough blame to go around, and EK65 and his agent will have their share.
Your a troll , plain and simple. Agents are the ones that handle negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad