News Article: Karlsson and Dorion/Melnyk didn't talk after November

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That doesn't make any sense. What about the end of season exit interview? Am I missing something? Is that quote taken out of context?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They wanted to re-sign him ......... they couldn't as they need players like EK65 to accept a contract that works for a small market team, call it a home town discount, or a contract without signing bonuses...... and he let them know he was not going to sign such a contract.

He was only going to sign a contract giving him what he felt was "market value" elsewhere if necessary.

It wasn't long ago that the senators were handing out fair contracts to their star players.

Besides if Edmonton can give mcdavid the contract they did, Ottawa has no excuse for not being able to give karlsson one.

If they can't afford to sign one of the top 3 players in the league, they might as well fold the franchise

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
This is true, however I do think it's wrong to think that Karlsson wanted to stay here. I really do believe he wanted to leave as well because of incompetent ownership, bad team, and bad memories (losing a child/Hoffman situation). I also think he preferred to play in a major US city.

Don't get me wrong, Melnyk ruined this team and will continue to do so, but even if we offered Erik a real contract I doubt he would have signed it.

Objectively, I think he would've loved to have stayed. But when you take into consideration how Melnyk and Dorion are running the team into the ground, it was likely a no brainer for him to leave.

I was in a similar situation at my first job. Loved it a lot and had been there a long time, but the company as a whole was going nowhere, and upper management didn't have the $$ to properly right the ship. I made the difficult decision to leave, and I'm so glad I did. It's a professionally run company with proper structure and has smart people everywhere making good business decisions.

Give it a month or two, and EK will be so happy he left and will be wondering how he stayed in that dysfunctional organization for so long.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
That doesn't make any sense. What about the end of season exit interview? Am I missing something? Is that quote taken out of context?

And end of season interview could have no substance. 10-15 minutes of generic feedback. I think what Karlsson is talking about is actual serious discussions about the future. Those are the types of discussions you usually have with your franchise player who's heading into the last year of his deal.

But is it really surprising?

Dorion didn't know about locker room issues until the end of the season.
Dorion didn't talk to Boucher about practice or the powerplay until the end of the season.

And now this. Dorion, apparently, doesn't do or know anything.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Objectively, I think he would've loved to have stayed. But when you take into consideration how Melnyk and Dorion are running the team into the ground, it was likely a no brainer for him to leave.

I was in a similar situation at my first job. Loved it a lot and had been there a long time, but the company as a whole was going nowhere, and upper management didn't have the $$ to properly right the ship. I made the difficult decision to leave, and I'm so glad I did. It's a professionally run company with proper structure and has smart people everywhere making good business decisions.

Give it a month or two, and EK will be so happy he left and will be wondering how he stayed in that dysfunctional organization for so long.

This is exactly what happened in Methot. And he has no bones about telling people that the grass is greener on the other side.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is exactly what happened in Methot. And he has no bones about telling people that the grass is greener on the other side.
Yep which is why I dont want EK to come back here,he did his time ...He deserves a chance to play for a team that doesnt just talk about winning

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So does everyone still believe that there was actually a legit contract offer made on July 1st, or is this a lie too?

I bet that a legal contract offer (legal in that it had no clauses that contravened the CBA) was made to his agent.

I have very real doubts that the offer was good enough that Karlsson ever considered it after his agent gave him the details of the offer.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
ams.gif

Reactions: Bonzo111

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I bet that a legal contract offer (legal in that it had no clauses that contravened the CBA) was made to his agent.

I have very real doubts that the offer was good enough that Karlsson ever considered it after his agent gave him the details of the offer.

You know what I'd guess? Hey Erik, here's 8 years, 80 million, but we can't give you a no-movement clause.

Reactions: Cosmix

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
I guess EM has given up on spending for this team, and figured that money looked better in his pocket vs EK's. This will prove to be the worst mistake made in this franchise's history.

Reactions: Genuflexion

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
They wanted to re-sign him ......... they couldn't as they need players like EK65 to accept a contract that works for a small market team, call it a home town discount, or a contract without signing bonuses...... and he let them know he was not going to sign such a contract.

He was only going to sign a contract giving him what he felt was "market value" elsewhere if necessary.
Need more proofs it was decided prior to february? lol

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Lies lies and more lies from this organization. What a surprise.
And we thought not negociating with Duchene and Stone was because of the EK talks:laugh:, Dorion being to busy.
Management is so out to lunch in Ottawa :surrender

Enjoy their play while they are here because its not for a long time

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Lol, they wanted to sign him so bad that they didn't talk to him for 6 months before offering a contract.

Why did they bother offering a contract then? What is the harm in talking? At the very least you find out exactly what his demands are and then can convey that to other GMs in trade talks if it helps move a deal along.

Sorry, but their is zero excuse for not trying. What if he was just posturing in the media and was willing to accept 9 million, but then after not being talked to for 6 months he decided that the team really didn't want him around and so he rejected an even higher offer.

Reactions: Deku

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I guess EM has given up on spending for this team, and figured that money looked better in his pocket vs EK's. This will prove to be the worst mistake made in this franchise's history.
Watch us become a decent team with new owners in a few years, only for a player like EK to be the missing piece.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure this means all that much, assuming when he said he didn't talk to them, he meant about contracts and such, that seems like something his agent would handle. I don't think Karlsson not having meaningful dialogue directly with the GM or Owner is all that big of a surprise tbh, though perhaps if you really wanted him here you should have gone above and beyond instead of status quo.

Reactions: swiftwin

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And we thought not negociating with Duchene and Stone was because of the EK talks:laugh:

Enjoy their play while they are here because its not for a long time
No kidding. How was Dorion so busy this summer as he claims? It doesn't sound like he was negotiating with anyone other than the one year deal for Stone.

Reactions: Alex1234

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Another day, another lie gets exposed.
Do these lies count as incidents? Surprised nobody has bumped that thread recently with everything going on.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
No kidding. How was Dorion so busy this summer as he claims? It doesn't sound like he was negotiating with anyone other than the one year deal for Stone.
He was busy coming up with pre-written testimonials about the character of our prospects and how amazing and powerful it was seeing them hold the door for others.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Hmm, I heard about an incident between Eugene and Karlsson taking place in the winter, but it sounded like the BS gossip you hear on occasion, even though it was coming from a reliable source.

I wonder if it was true and ultimately Eugene refused to let Dorion re-sign Karlsson, subsequently leaving him no option but to trade him.

If it's true, it would explain why they asked for the no-trade list, and why they were listening to offers at the deadline.

Reactions: swiftwin

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The no-trade list was requested in November. Karlsson's statement about only accepting market value was in December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad