News Article: Karlsson and Dorion/Melnyk didn't talk after November

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sure, you're right, it's not black and white, there are shades of grey, but that doesn't mean cognitive dissonance isn't at play too. It's a very real and well studied phenomenon. I think there is almost certainly some of that at play here.

You talk about other people being locked into their points of view, I'd suggest to you that you have a history of being locked into your own point of view as well.

Of course it's a well studied phenomenon, but it's more reasonably applied to fans who adore EK, but are unable to process or consider new information that may paint him in a light that is less favourable. Personally I don't have conflicting views on the player as I understand that people can be excellent players but also have issues, either temporary or persistent. Folks willing to discuss these things aren't really exhibiting signs of cognitive dissonance in my opinion.

This last bit is just lazy. I'm able and willing to process new information in regards to my opinion, and to admit when I'm wrong when called for. I can also alter my opinions as well as hold firm on them when I think it's called for, like many folks on here. There are some however that refuse to even discuss new information, not the same, as you know.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I alluded to this a couple of weeks ago, but I figured I would elaborate a little without giving too much away that it would potentially identify where the information is coming from.

Something blew up between Karlsson and Melnyk in November/December, and PD was basically instructed to move Karlsson in the not so distant future. This is why no formal contract discussions were not had until the "contract" offer in July, and that only happened as a means of satisfying STH and to prevent a mass exodus. Despite what PD said, he was definitely shopping Karlsson at the TDL, and was given a deadline of training camp to have him gone. From what I have heard, Dorion would have held onto to Karlsson until a better deal was available, but it was out his control

I don't think Karlsson lied about not expecting to be traded, I think his hope was that Eugene would sell, and he could then re-up once new ownership was in place.

In addition to the falling out between Karlsson and Melnyk, there was allegedly a group of "defiant" players that the team wanted to move on from, which is where the narrative of "the team needs to pull in the same direction" is coming from.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Unbelievable. The hit pieces are actually working. Some people are now convinced that the Karlsson WAS the problem or at least he "wasn't innocent". It's mindboggling really, it's the exact same story every time we have a decent player. I can't wait until the stories about Duchene come out after we dump him at the deadline for a 4th line plugger and a 3rd.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I alluded to this a couple of weeks ago, but I figured I would elaborate a little without giving too much away that it would potentially identify where the information is coming from.

Something blew up between Karlsson and Melnyk in November/December, and PD was basically instructed to move Karlsson in the not so distant future. This is why no formal contract discussions were not had until the "contract" offer in July, and that only happened as a means of satisfying STH and to prevent a mass exodus. Despite what PD said, he was definitely shopping Karlsson at the TDL, and was given a deadline of training camp to have him gone. From what I have heard, Dorion would have held onto to Karlsson until a better deal was available, but it was out his control

I don't think Karlsson lied about not expecting to be traded, I think his hope was that Eugene would sell, and he could then re-up once new ownership was in place.

In addition to the falling out between Karlsson and Melnyk, there was allegedly a group of "defiant" players that the team wanted to move on from, which is where the narrative of "the team needs to pull in the same direction" is coming from.

Yes, everyone knows about the infamous uber ride that tore a franchise apart.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Unbelievable. The hit pieces are actually working. Some people are now convinced that the Karlsson WAS the problem or at least he "wasn't innocent". It's mindboggling really, it's the exact same story every time we have a decent player. I can't wait until the stories about Duchene come out after we dump him at the deadline for a 4th line plugger and a 3rd.

Its amazing really, it's like we haven't learned from the past 5 times this happened.

It's almost like there is a defining denominator that ties all these star players leaving in questionable ways, that no organization has/had to endure as much as we did. I simply can't quite put my finger as to what that is.

Reactions: MiscBrah

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol Karlsson played 30 minutes a night and played with broken bones.

While Anderson gave up on a team halfway through a season.

People calling in question Karlssons commitment to the club are buying into the spin job of Melnyk and Dorion. Weak.

I can understand that you don't want anyone to diminish EK, but is this really your characterization of Andy?

Is he not the goaltender that had an excellent season, and came back to help save our playoff run all while his wife was battling for her life against cancer? That shutout return game was one of the finest games with outside meaning that this team has ever had.

EK playing with broken bones just doesn't compare (still a solid feat of dedication).

This might be a perfect example of cognitive dissonance that Mick was explaining earlier. You're just not able to come to grips with two conflicting pieces of information, so you're choosing to ignore the possibility of one. The easy solution is to consider that if you have a year where you lose control of the room and become part of the problem doesn't make you a bad person, nor does it diminish how great a player you can be on the ice. EK can be all of these things, since he is a human being after all, and you can still love the guy as you do.

Ignoring that there were issues, or ridiculously trying to make this an EM thing is definitely grasping. He was offered a reasonable contract as a starting point, but neither the team, nor EK tried hard to negotiate a deal out of that. It appears as though neither wanted to work to get a deal done. I doubt PD traded him because he was a 'bad' player in the room, but he certainly didn't break the bank. EK sure didn't seem like he wanted to stay with the team, as much as he continues to profess his love for the city. It would appear that he also wanted a change of scenery, and there are so many reasons for this to be a reasonable consideration (personal beef with EM, family issues, etc...).

I don't think anyone is trying to diminish the EK we know, it seems more like given the epic collapse last year, and much confirmed and unconfirmed information about issues in the room, it stands to reason that EK was a part of the problem, which gets magnified in importance a bit because he's the captain. These things happen, it doesn't make him a bad guy, and it's ok to talk about it. We all want the team to get better, and if the underwhelming trade of EK returns a surprise element of locker room unity, well thats a huge bonus for the team and the fans.

Reactions: Cat Herder

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Here we go again, maybe Alfie was the problem, maybe Spezza was the problem, maybe Chara was the problem, maybe Hossa was the problem, maybe Karlsson is the problem.

The team's leading scorer for 6 years straight is the problem, and the guy that lead the team on one leg to a goal away from Stanley cup finals is the problem.

I am not dismissing that there was locker room issues, especially with the personal stuff that Karlsson had to endure (loss of a child, wife getting cyber bullied, injury etc), there was probably a lot of tense moments in that locker room and probably a lot of people are to blame for it, and are still there. But it doesn't mean that we should revert to just making **** up and looking at everything through a magnifying glass in order to justify the crappy trade. This whole "we're a team" bull**** is just propaganda made up by the team to hide the fact that they don't have the funds to retain star talent, and such star talents don't want to play under that ownership. Yes the lockeroom was broken, but that wasn't the reason he was traded.

Nobody accused those guys of being locker room issues when they left though, quite the opposite.

Playing injured is normal in the playoffs, it was an awesome feat of determination, but why are we trying to make it seem like this would make EK above questions after the disastrous season that we just had.

No one is making stuff up, he was the captain of a fractures dressing room as the team spiralled to the bottom of the league and there has been confirmed issues he was involved in, and all kinds of statements that lend towards things being better now, and broken then.

Trying to get to the bottom of what happened is a solid discussion topic, and has absolutely zero to do with team financials. I can't believe we have to argue about discussing something that is so obviously an issue. Like I've said before, if this amount of smoke was concerning EM you guys would have hundreds of posts already confirming it all as fact and speculating on how much worse EM is.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Can't wait to see Karlsson ruin the locker room in San Jose, and make them play as individuals as opposed to as a 'team'.

Jumbo Joe and Burns won't let that happen, nor would EK want to because you know, he didn't "ruin" the locker room on purpose, or on his own (if at all).

These arguments to the extreme are so lame, and such clutter when folks are trying to have a level discussion.

Anyways, the team looks happy and focused, and thats a good sign going forward for those of us who plan on watching and cheering for the players on the ice in the Sens jerseys.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

Makes a ton of sense and fits the timeline and confirms all the lies from management. I bet Karlsson coming out and saying he's not taking a discount was also a shot fired.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Makes a ton of sense and fits the timeline and confirms all the lies from management. I bet Karlsson coming out and saying he's not taking a discount was also a shot fired.

This has got to be (one of) the breaking points.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Safe to assume the blow up happened shortly after and because Karlsson stated he wouldn't be taking a home town discount?

What a shame that Melnyk's ego stands in the way of this franchise so often. When will he realize that he is the problem?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Nobody accused those guys of being locker room issues when they left though, quite the opposite.

Playing injured is normal in the playoffs, it was an awesome feat of determination, but why are we trying to make it seem like this would make EK above questions after the disastrous season that we just had.

No one is making stuff up, he was the captain of a fractures dressing room as the team spiralled to the bottom of the league and there has been confirmed issues he was involved in, and all kinds of statements that lend towards things being better now, and broken then.

Trying to get to the bottom of what happened is a solid discussion topic, and has absolutely zero to do with team financials. I can't believe we have to argue about discussing something that is so obviously an issue. Like I've said before, if this amount of smoke was concerning EM you guys would have hundreds of posts already confirming it all as fact and speculating on how much worse EM is.

lol it's like you ignored the past 10 pages on purpose. People are dissecting a video of Stone talking during the Tremblant event. Trying to get to the bottom of what happened is one thing, already making up your mind on where that problem lies with shitty speculation is another.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Melnyk when looking at the home opener attendance.

289238.jpg

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Jumbo Joe and Burns won't let that happen, nor would EK want to because you know, he didn't "ruin" the locker room on purpose, or on his own (if at all).

These arguments to the extreme are so lame, and such clutter when folks are trying to have a level discussion.

Anyways, the team looks happy and focused, and thats a good sign going forward for those of us who plan on watching and cheering for the players on the ice in the Sens jerseys.

Oh yes level discussion lol making shit up about the player, and speculating through "I heard" methods is a level headed discussion. It's more like 18th century witch hunt trials through hearsay, wild accusations and speculations.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018

You know who's happy??? Jumbo Joe and Burns! They thought it was early xmas when they saw Karlsson in a teal jersey

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
lol it's like you ignored the past 10 pages on purpose. People are dissecting a video of Stone talking during the Tremblant event. Trying to get to the bottom of what happened is one thing, already making up your mind on where that problem lies with ****ty speculation is another.

You mean like all of you management and ownership posts? lol....

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh yes level discussion lol making **** up about the player, and speculating through "I heard" methods is a level headed discussion. It's more like 18th century witch hunt trials through hearsay, wild accusations and speculations.

Yeah except people are actually referring to things said by players....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad