Injury Report: Karlsson - Achilles Tendon - Practicing w Team, May Return to Lineup Soon - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
"Hey, I started doing drugs."

"WHAT!??????? Whyyyyyyyy man you've been clean for 2 yearssss!!!!!! what on earth would have made you go backkkkk. You were reborn!"

That's all I'm getting from you.

Like we say in my block, once a **** always a ****. You can't turn a **** into a housewife.

That's Matt Cooke.

I think equating drugs to the way someone plays Hockey is a little extreme of a metaphor, especially dealing with this situation. Honestly, the guy changed his game 100% and proved he was a better player than just a guy that took cheap shots at people. It's pretty arrogant to think he would throw that away to take a shot at a player during a regular "mid" season game that isn't even divisional, and he had no beef with.

I understand the frustration you guys are having over this, but Jesus, it's like you want to string the guy up after he's been deemed innocent by everyone in the league that matters.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There is a chance that Karlsson may never be the same and it could hinder on his career from being the absolute best he can be.

Matt Cooke knew that and has destroyed the careers of others like Savard. That's all I ever really need to know about him to judge him.

A guy who preaches peace but acts violent domestically doesn't make him a good person. He can donate all the charity and be the loving husband he is but when he ****s and injures and ruins other's chance of striving for their dream then all he has done is for shame.

By the way, don't tell me it was accidental. You don't know that as much as I don't know it's done on purpose. Stop speaking like you know the absolute truth. I know you mean well and respect you for that but just get out; you're making things worse.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I've watched the replay multiple times and no way and I mean no way was that not-intentional. I swear to God it was absolutely disgusting. **** man, you guys have no idea how angry I've been all day. Almost fought this guy on the streets who hit the back heel of my shoe.

The momentum he hit Karlsson's Achilles with was so powerful that only someone who was losing their balance backwards would have done. He was moving forward the entire way and knew what he was doing. He even moved in a straight path all the way through after clutch Karlsson as if trying to get his positioning right before the damage.

I agree it's disgusting. Then to have people actually defending this mentally challenged psychopath is just beyond disappointing. I don't even need to see him suspended or anything, he will get what is coming, but come on people at least say you can't tell. It is just dumb to say you know 100% it was unintentional and then try to explain it.
And another thing, there is no old matt cooke and new matt cooke, there is only matt cooke, responsible for everything he has done to this point.
If he needs help, get him some help but don't let this guy run around carelessly in the meantime. He is not doing good for any real hockey fan. I pay to see skill and hard work not criminal activity.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
There is a chance that Karlsson may never be the same and it could hinder on his career from being the absolute best he can be.

Matt Cooke knew that and has destroyed the careers of others like Savard. That's all I ever really need to know about him to judge him.

A guy who preaches peace but acts violent domestically doesn't make him a good person. He can donate all the charity and be the loving husband he is but when he ****s and injures and ruins other's chance of striving their dream then all he has done is for shame.

You really believe that Matt Cooke wanted so badly to end Karlsson's career that he used his skate blade to sever his achilles tendon? I know the media pumps up the "war" aspect of sports for ratings, but this is just absurd.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I was in Jakarta all day yesterday, and hockey news doesn't exactly pour out of the seams here the way it does back home, so I heard about it when I got home...

I'm just... ugh. I don't even know what to post. I've been at a loss for words since I heard about it.

I just feel empty.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

A guy who preaches peace but acts violent domestically doesn't make him a good person. He can donate all the charity and be the loving husband he is but when he ****s and injures and ruins other's chance of striving their dream then all he has done is for shame.

Theres also a chance that he can heal up from this injury 100% as expected, and come back better than ever after rehab. Throwing blind speculation at the situation isn't going to make cooke any more guilty, regardless of his past and you judging him.

Get with it, cooke doesnt preach non violence and then act violent, the guy learned discipline, and turned it around better than any other player thats been suspended in the league. He took action, when he could have easily thrown an elbow into someones head and become a 4th liner in the NHL for the rest of his career.

Just because you judge people and think they can't change, doesn't mean they don't or can't.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You really believe that Matt Cooke wanted so badly to end Karlsson's career that he used his skate blade to sever his achilles tendon? I know the media pumps up the "war" aspect of sports for ratings, but this is just absurd.

No. No where did I say Matt Cooke targeted his achilles tendon. Matt Cooke did wanna injure him however so no matter whether it be a broken ankle or lacerated achilles he is still to blame.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
It honestly blows my mind that people think Matt Cooke decided to slash someone's achilles tendon with a blade. People need to take a step back from the keyboard.

Exactly. EVERY single player on TSN said that it was a freak accident, yet some fans just don't want to understand. Have you seriously considered as to why not even ONE person thinks it was on purpose in the media or players, or how lopsided the poll is on HF. Perhaps you guys are just biased?

Seriously, get over it. I don't get why people are so whiny. I'm really concerned about EK, but I'm over Cooke and the play. Move on, please.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

thank you for bringing some sense into the situation.

I think its mainly just misguided emotion at a player that was involved in this debacle.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Theres also a chance that he can heal up from this injury 100% as expected, and come back better than ever after rehab. Throwing blind speculation at the situation isn't going to make cooke any more guilty, regardless of his past and you judging him.

Get with it, cooke doesnt preach non violence and then act violent, the guy learned discipline, and turned it around better than any other player thats been suspended in the league. He took action, when he could have easily thrown an elbow into someones head and become a 4th liner in the NHL for the rest of his career.

Just because you judge people and think they can't change, doesn't mean they don't or can't.

This isn't even a matter of changing or not changing. The leap from throwing questionable hits to making the decision to slash someone's achilles with a blade is gigantic. I don't believe that Cooke at any point in his career was insane enough to actually do that on purpose.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I was in Jakarta all day yesterday, and hockey news doesn't exactly pour out of the seams here the way it does back home, so I heard about it when I got home...

I'm just... ugh. I don't even know what to post. I've been at a loss for words since I heard about it.

I just feel empty.

That feel. I know it.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Exactly. EVERY single player on TSN said that it was a freak accident, yet some fans just don't want to understand. Have you seriously considered as to why not even ONE person thinks it was on purpose in the media or players, or how lopsided the poll is on HF. Perhaps you guys are just biased?

Seriously, get over it. I don't get why people are so whiny. I'm really concerned about EK, but I'm over Cooke and the play. Move on, please.

It isn't hard to understand why people think he did it on purpose: its hard to accept that bad things happen randomly and that sometimes nobody is to blame. It's not surprising that the NHL and most fans outside Ottawa think it was an accident but Ottawa fans don't.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
thank you for bringing some sense into the situation.

I think its mainly just misguided emotion at a player that was involved in this debacle.

Are you guys having your own discussion on a different planet? I don't see anyone saying he intentionally targeted his achilles tendon. What was intentional was a kick towards karlsson's leg. That is undebatable.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Karlsson misses a chance to walk away from another Norris trophy, Ottawa has higher chance to potentially make playoffs, we make another trade for deep run etc...

The whole season is impacted and it should come as to no surprise since he is the best player in the league. Not only does he lose a year of development, even if he comes back 100% next year, the whole year for Ottawa wouldn't be as meaningful and capable of doing the most damage with him out.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Karlsson misses a chance to walk away from another Norris trophy, Ottawa has higher chance to potentially make playoffs, we make another trade for deep run etc...

The whole season is impacted and it should come as to no surprise since he is the best player in the league. Not only does he lose a year of development, even if he comes back 100% next year, the whole year for Ottawa wouldn't be as meaningful and capable of doing the most damage with him out.

You know, I thought like you yesterday... and after thinking for a while, I've come to realize that **** happens. This is sports. Sidney Crosby, better player than Karlsson, was out (due to a freak hit... which is certainly more questionable than Cooke incident, actually) for half a season after putting up 66 points in 41 games. Imagine how Pittsburgh felt.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
You know, I thought like you yesterday... and after thinking for a while, I've come to realize that **** happens. This is sports. Sidney Crosby (better player than Karlsson) was out (due to a freak hit... which is certainly more questionable than Cooke incident, actually) for half a season after putting up 66 points in 41 games. Imagine how Pittsburgh felt.

Yup. It happens. That's sports. Best not to let yourself be bothered by things completely out of your control.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You know, I thought like you yesterday... and after thinking for a while, I've come to realize that **** happens. This is sports. Sidney Crosby (better player than Karlsson) was out (due to a freak hit... which is certainly more questionable than Cooke incident, actually) for half a season after putting up 66 points in 41 games. Imagine how Pittsburgh felt.

I do not care how they felt. Shouldn't impact my feelings towards this matter. Also, I thought it was dirty, what happened to Crosby. Plus the guy who did it has had no history like Cooke.

I am over this but it's ridiculous to think we could have Karlsson preparing for Saturday nights game instead of actually having to fear we have seen the best of Karlsson. I know that isn't the case and pray but still.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you guys having your own discussion on a different planet? I don't see anyone saying he intentionally targeted his achilles tendon. What was intentional was a kick towards karlsson's leg. That is undebatable.

It is debatable because he didn't kick anything, he lifted his leg as he was Checking karlsson, the stepped down, landed on his guard, and followed through. If you truly feel that in the split second all of that was happening, all the while Cooke was looking in the other direction, that he had an intention to hurt karlsson, you're just plain off your rocker, stop watching the play in slow motion, it screws with your sense of what actually happened. I know from experience with the hit on Crosby from steckl.

He's already won a Norris, it's not like be was on this crazy run in a shortened season that he needs to prove he's great, because everyone already knows his proven talents. Your team can and will get past this, whether you want them to or not. And please don't call him the best player in the league, it makes you look like a homer with an axe to grind. He's one of the best defenseman in the league today no doubt, but he's no bobby Orr.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I do not care how they felt. Shouldn't impact my feelings towards this matter. Also, I thought it was dirty, what happened to Crosby. Plus the guy who did it has had no history like Cooke.

I am over this but it's ridiculous to think we could have Karlsson preparing for Saturday nights game instead of actually having to fear we have seen the best of Karlsson. I know that isn't the case and pray but still.

The hit on Crosby as I said before was deemed a clean hit, during a play for the puck. It took me a bit to come to terms with it, but I honestly don't think steckl tried to take him out. There's not much room for guys like that in this league. Maybe you'll come to terms with this once karlsson is healthy for you guys and tearing up the scoreboard like old times.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
He's one of the best defenseman in the league today no doubt, but he's no bobby Orr.
We'll admit Cooke had no intent to do bad if you can turn back time and prevent it.

And one of the best dman? No other is in his realm. Imagine giving Letang Grabner's speed, and Crosby's brain, that's Karlsson.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
It is debatable because he didn't kick anything, he lifted his leg as he was Checking karlsson, the stepped down, landed on his guard, and followed through. If you truly feel that in the split second all of that was happening, all the while Cooke was looking in the other direction, that he had an intention to hurt karlsson, you're just plain off your rocker, stop watching the play in slow motion, it screws with your sense of what actually happened. I know from experience with the hit on Crosby from steckl.

He's already won a Norris, it's not like be was on this crazy run in a shortened season that he needs to prove he's great, because everyone already knows his proven talents. Your team can and will get past this, whether you want them to or not. And please don't call him the best player in the league, it makes you look like a homer with an axe to grind. He's one of the best defenseman in the league today no doubt, but he's no bobby Orr.

By the way, what is it you are trying to accomplish here? If you want to help us you will leave.

Volt

Aug 25, 2008
Toronto

Best player in the league is Karlsson so deal with it cause you are on the Sens board, coming here and saying he is ONE of the best defensemen (more like the best).

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The hit on Crosby as I said before was deemed a clean hit, during a play for the puck. It took me a bit to come to terms with it, but I honestly don't think steckl tried to take him out. There's not much room for guys like that in this league. Maybe you'll come to terms with this once karlsson is healthy for you guys and tearing up the scoreboard like old times.

Your a homer if you call crosby the best.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
For the record, I don't think there was any intention on Cooke's part to cause that kind of injury.

Was it a ridiculously careless play by a guy who by all accounts should know better than that, considering the short leash he's on? Absolutely.

Was it intentional? I doubt it.

I think he should have got a game or two for carelessness, but that's at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad