Injury Report: Karlsson - Achilles Tendon - Practicing w Team, May Return to Lineup Soon - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've watched the replay multiple times and no way and I mean no way was that not-intentional. I swear to God it was absolutely disgusting. **** man, you guys have no idea how angry I've been all day. Almost fought this guy on the streets who hit the back heel of my shoe.

The momentum he hit Karlsson's Achilles with was so powerful that only someone who was losing their balance backwards would have done. He was moving forward the entire way and knew what he was doing. He even moved in a straight path all the way through after clutch Karlsson as if trying to get his positioning right before the damage.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
ZEN87:

For me it's not an issue whether he stomps or not. What I have a huge problem with is why he heck has to lift the leg like that? Is he a sort of climber? The period was almost to it's end and I find it typical Cooke to not know when to ease off. He seems lack common sense. There are more natural ways to slow Karlsson down there. Heck, he even can't put much weight in that pinnning as he stands beside Karlsson. I think Cooke overplayed the situation and his instincts are not normal.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I've watched the replay multiple times and no way and I mean no way was that not-intentional. I swear to God it was absolutely disgusting. **** man, you guys have no idea how angry I've been all day. Almost fought this guy on the streets who hit the back heel of my shoe.

The momentum he hit Karlsson's Achilles with was so powerful that only someone who was losing their balance backwards would have done. He was moving forward the entire way and knew what he was doing. He even moved in a straight path all the way through after clutch Karlsson as if trying to get his positioning right before the damage.
In all honesty, I think he meant to slew foot him or trip him up.

I don't think he went in thinking "lets cut the back of his leg open".

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
saw this:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=59727701&postcount=982

and havta agree with "it sure looked to me like he was accelerating down hard with his skate into Karlsson's leg."

maybe he didn't intend to cut his achilles, but it sure looked like he was accelerating down hard

Exactly.Intent to injure was there.I honestly do not care that Cooke isn't suspended. Nothing that happens to help will ever re-do what happened to Karlsson. I want him to be there the next game we play.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
My take...

This is a play that has to happen 100,000 times in a season. Two guys going into the boards battling.

If it was a freak accident, it could have happened to any two players in the league....

....But it didn't happen to any two players in the league, did it? It happened to the Norris Trophy Winner and Matt ****ing Cooke. What are the odds of that happening BY ACCIDENT?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I'm not saying that's what he targeted exactly. I'm saying there was intent to injure. No matter what his intention was, the fact that he wanted Karlsson in some sort of pain makes him 100% responsible for the outcome.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My take...

This is a play that has to happen 100,000 times in a season. Two guys going into the boards battling. If it was a freak accident, it could have happened to any two players in the league....

....But it didn't happen to any two players in the league. It happened to the Norris Trophy Winner and Matt ****ing Cooke. What are the odds of that happening BY ACCIDENT?

It's a hockey play, bro. It just happened to be the best player in the NHL and one of the worst.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
Zen87
Rookie User
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say a couple things here, reading mostly mixed comments from you guys.

Let me start by saying, i heard about the aftermath of it being a 70% laceration, and he's going to be out for 3-4 months. I hope that he has a quicker recovery, and is back to 100% as expected, and even sooner, because he's a damn good player, and doesn't deserve to be put out for an extended period. As a Pens fan, I know what it is like to have one of your stars taken out by a borderline hit, so trust me i feel for you, and respect the talent he carries on your team.

Matt Cooke did NOT do this on purpose, I would put everything I know on it. This guy has spent the last two seasons trying to turn his game around, working with coaches, changing the way he pays the game and hits people, because he didn't want to be that type of player anymore (whether it be for selfish reasons such as him not wanting to be kicked out of the game, or deeper reasons like wanting to be a better player). This is not something Matt Cooke does with his skates. He's never been known to act that way, and in fact is exactly opposite of how he used to go after players pre- 2011 season. He used to be a bum, someone I didn't like on our team, but I doubt he wants to throw all of the work he's done to reform away on a cheap and dangerous act.

You can look at the tape in slow motion, and make a case either way on whether or not he was "stomping", or simply losing his footing on the play. However, when you look at that play in full speed, can you honestly say that the guy in mid check, tried to lift his foot up with the intention of dropping it back down to slice someone in the calf? First of all, thats near impossible if thats his intent, because of the shingards, and for balance reasons. Secondly, i must repeat that Cook is not a skate slicing player, and I wouldn't even give him the credit of a type of player to think that far ahead of a play.

I mean no disrespect coming into a sens board and spouting off as a pens fan, but I just thought i'd share some perspective for those of you on a Matt Cooke manhunt. I know how I felt when steckl hit crosby, and watching it over and over, but the fact is, the league has no problem going after matt cooke, TRUST ME. Shanahan didn't even deem it necessary to have a conversation with him. That's all I have to say about this guys. And Again, I wish Karlsson the best, and from one hockey fan to others, feel for you guys.

You must have missed the game when he "accidentally" kicked Chris Osgood in the face with his skate.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Cooke didn't orchestrate this the morning of, nor did he expect to cut Karlsson open. He just found himself in that situation, and made a split second decision to stomp him.

People are saying it was a clean play, and it was...up until that micro-second at the end when he decides to stomp down into Karlsson's leg.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I can watch this all day.

download.php

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You know I hear people say they'd rather have a healthy Erik Karlsson then a lottery pick in regards to Erik being injured...well people we don't have a healthy Erik Karlsson, we wont for the rest of the season, so why not hope for the best, honestly, his career's not done, he'll play again, weather or not he's the same player as before we can't change that, but he's going to come back, might aswell take a high pick while he's gone right?

studebaker1*

Im a Sabres fan and this is complete ********, definitely looks like a slew-foot attempt to me; Cooke's an imbecile. This is a horrible injury and I hate to see any player go down with it.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass

Yea, that is my opinion as well.

He was doing something reprehensible and filthy, just not that reprehensible and filthy.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
ZEN87:

For me it's not an issue whether he stomps or not. What I have a huge problem with is why he heck has to lift the leg like that? Is he a sort of climber? The period was almost to it's end and I find it typical Cooke to not know when to ease off. He seems lack common sense. There are more natural ways to slow Karlsson down there. Heck, he even can't put much weight in that pinnning as he stands beside Karlsson. I think Cooke overplayed the situation and his instincts are not normal.

I think you're right Johan, I didn't see a stomp more of a sort of trying to get his footing back, and go after the puck when you look at it in real time, I think he had his foot up to get more of a complete check, with less focus on him trying to put the foot down of pin him. Keep in mind, Karlsson had a good beat on him, so cook was trying to check from the side to avoid boarding, or like you said, it may have been him just being an idiot.

I will never defend cooke on the stance that he is a smart person, but his intentions have clearly changed from that of a dirty player, to someone who has really tried to make a name for himself as a cleaner hockey player.

I like your point about saying not knowing when to ease off, because honestly, i think he was just trying to keep the pace up. The argument that he did all of this on purpose, or had intention to harm may have been more applicable if the penguins had all but lost, or were getting blown out. However this was an extremely tight checking game, and it isn't like a goon to start attacking players in that situation.

You must have missed the game when he "accidentally" kicked Chris Osgood in the face with his skate.

If thats all you got from my post, you're feeding into the old matt cooke vs the new matt cooke, and like i said, he's known more for his hits to the head, then trying to attack a player with his skates. I think ottawa fans should be more upset no whistle was blown when the puck went into the netting. none of this would have even happened.

Regardless, you guys will come to your own conclusions, i just felt for conversations sake that you should here a non-sens fans perspective. And I hope i don't seem too much of a homer by defending cooke. This is the first time he's deserved someone defending his case.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
"Hey, I started doing drugs."

"WHAT!??????? Whyyyyyyyy man you've been clean for 2 yearssss!!!!!! what on earth would have made you go backkkkk. You were reborn!"

That's all I'm getting from you.

Like we say in my block, once a **** always a ****. You can't turn a **** into a housewife.

That's Matt Cooke.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Powdered Toast Man said:
I don't think anyone here legitimately gives a crap about Erik Karlsson. I mean, he sure seems like a real nice guy and all but people here are upset because they have so much invested in this team and it's best player. This, of course, is totally fine up until the point where you start legitimately insinuating taking violent recourse against the perpetrator and/or implying that he isn't a wonderful husband and father because he more than likely accidently injured some guy you most likely never met. I was plenty damn upset last night too, I don't think I have ever brushed my teeth harder. I woke up and realized that everything is going to be okay.

Powdered Toast Man alone against the irrational hoards of bloodthirsty Sens fans bent on the violent extermination and general calumny of sometime hockey player Matt Cooke!

Will Powdered Toast Man's pleas for reason and common sense prevail against the irrational impulses of random strangers to post hateful things on the internet?!

Probably not...but he gets points for heroic virtue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad