WJC: Karlsson a healthy scratch in Ottawa

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Most countries are missing key players. Canada especially.

Suck it up...

yeah, really though. :handclap:

Most people want to play for their national team. I don't know why Karlsson wouldn't if he was healthy and his team would let him.

Been there, done that.
He has already proven himself at the World Juniors. He took home the dman of the tournament last year and is ready to move to bigger and better things. I believe that's enough of a reason not to wanna come back a year later.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't know if he was given the choice or not(source btw?), but of course he choosed to stay IF ASKED, you don't expect a junior to tell his GM anything else. He was very disappointed with being put in the minors the first time, and he wouldn't wanna risk that again I'm sure.

However, this is not about him staying or not, it's about him being a healthy scratch meanwhile the tournament goes on. If he's important to the club right now, he would't be scratched and judging some sens fans here he isn't one of your six best D-men, hence the speculations.

Moller did last year. Where did he say he was dissapointed to play in the minors?

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
Gotta love how emo people get on behalf of young players. I'm sure Erik would really appreciate knowing you're all looking out so hard for what's best for him, while he's busy practicing and playing with NHL players.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
this:

Its Ottawa's right to keep him -- if they let him go he is away for like 2-3 weeks. What if they loose 2-3 D's in a game?

Players who are close to the NHL shouldn't be let go. Its a junior tournament.
not this:
Again;

Dear Ottawa Senators,

**** you.

Sincerely yours,

Swedish hockey fans.
Karlsson was a scratch for the first time in a while last night. I'm sure he will play most of the games over the course of the tournament, however. As Ola kindly noted, its ottawa's prerogative what they want to do with him - he has a contract with the senators.

LGSens

Gotta love how emo people get on behalf of young players. I'm sure Erik would really appreciate knowing you're all looking out so hard for what's best for him, while he's busy practicing and playing with NHL players.

Ask any junior eligible player if they would want to go to the tournament and they will all answer no. Karlsson was asked and wanted to stay in Ottawa. I remember Stamkos as an 18 year old was not playing much and was having a tough time adjusting to the pro game. As tough as it was for him in the NHL he told me he didn't want to go to the U20's and wanted to be in Tampa Bay.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
I don't think it matters that much. We have loads of competent D-men that plays PP just as well as Karlsson, or at least very close.

I don't think MÃ¥rts would have given him any letter on his jersey either, I know I wouldn't. Marcus Johansson and Anton Lander are both bigger leaders than Erik Karlsson, Rundblad I'm not sure.

Besides, Karlsson might have some kind of injury that has him out for a couple of days, in that case you don't put a player on injury reserve, hence being listed as a healthy scratch.

Stop whining about it, you're being a disgrace for us Swedish hockey fans.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I don't think it matters that much. We have loads of competent D-men that plays PP just as well as Karlsson, or at least very close.

I don't think MÃ¥rts would have given him any letter on his jersey either, I know I wouldn't. Marcus Johansson and Anton Lander are both bigger leaders than Erik Karlsson, Rundblad I'm not sure.

Besides, Karlsson might have some kind of injury that has him out for a couple of days, in that case you don't put a player on injury reserve, hence being listed as a healthy scratch.

Stop whining about it, you're being a disgrace for us Swedish hockey fans.

Are you kidding me? How come Rundblad & OEL aren't in the NHL in that case?

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Are you kidding me? How come Rundblad & OEL aren't in the NHL in that case?

Rundblad wouldn't take a spot in Blues, neither would Karlsson.

Phoenix wanted OEL for this season but let him stay home to get more muscle and weight. Karlsson wouldn't take a PP-spot in Pheonix either.

After all, it's not as if Karlsson would score 10 goals a game or win the eventual final on his own. You make him sound as important as Mats Sundin or Peter Forsberg.

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
Two games now...

oh nooooooooo.:shakehead

IIRC didn't the Pens let Fluery go back and there was controversy after he lost in the finals and seemed to lose confidence.

Wasn't there controversy when Moller got injured last year?

Mach 9*

Calm down everyone...

Sweden could also have players like Tavres,Stamkos etc. that are in the NHL
Same with the US

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The plot thickens.

And for the love of god, why does everything has to be for the purpose of educating or boosting the player's confidence? Our team is a bunch of SEL players and a couple from good tier2 teams, and from the looks of it they are facing mostly midget teams, yes this should develop them into great senior players! Maybe the SEL-clubs(or any other pro-league with WJC-players) should stop their players from going, which would mean the NHL teams and fans are missing out on watching their european prospects too. What a fun tournament!

Bottom line, we are talking about 17-19 year olds, supposedly going to have 15+ years pro careers. The education card is laughable.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Seriously, what's wrong with you? He's scratched because he didn't preform for a couple of games. Since they didn't send him down to Binghamton they obviously see a use of him.

But reason number one, HE DID NOT WANT TO PLAY IN THE WJC!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its kind of like SJ complaining on us for picking Doug Murray for the Olympic team.

"You won't use him much anyway in the Olympics. Why don't you let him stay at home in SJ and rest?"

TheCH*

Most people want to play for their national team. I don't know why Karlsson wouldn't if he was healthy and his team would let him.

Would he even still collect a paycheck from the sens if he opted to go to the WJC?

I wouldn't think so. So i doubt he would be willing to forefit 10's of thousands of dollars to play a couple weeks in that tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad