WJC: Karlsson a healthy scratch in Ottawa

Davebo*

Canada is missing at least the following (I'm sure I'm missing some...

Tyler Myers
Michael Del Zotto
John Tavares
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
Ryan O'Reilly
James Wright
And Cody Hodgson to injury.

Being a healthy scratch is part of the learning curve in the NHL. Why do you think he's above being benched a game?

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Sounds like Karlsson wanted to stay in the NHL so this isn't thread worthy but...

for those that feel going to the World Jr's is a step back in a players development, I don't understand the thought process. Of course the pace and competition isn't at the NHL level but you are giving no weight to the confidence/mental side of the game. THere is so much benefit for a player, like Karlsson, to step into a huge leadership role in this enviroment. An elite NHL player is not just developed by the competition they play with and against. So many other pieces of their development from the time they are young go into developing that finished product. Situations like the World Jr's can be one of these important pieces.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Sounds like Karlsson wanted to stay in the NHL so this isn't thread worthy but...

for those that feel going to the World Jr's is a step back in a players development, I don't understand the thought process. Of course the pace and competition isn't at the NHL level but you are giving no weight to the confidence/mental side of the game. THere is so much benefit for a player, like Karlsson, to step into a huge leadership role in this enviroment. An elite NHL player is not just developed by the competition they play with and against. So many other pieces of their development from the time they are young go into developing that finished product. Situations like the World Jr's can be one of these important pieces.

Karlsson needs more experience (and ...body developpement) at this point. Not confidence...

kyle747

May 10, 2005
I guess I'll represent the Ottawa fans who wish he would have gone. Karlsson is exactly what we need in Ottawa right now... the problem is that he won't be that player until next year or the year after. He's not ready for the NHL right now and we have 7 D-men who are better than he is atm. But none of them have the pure offensive talent that he does, which is why we're rushing him. Maybe I'll celebrate this move next season if he takes a big step forward, but right now I can't help but seem him as a liability on the ice.

As for this story, he's not going to be sitting very much at all and I was surprised that he even sat last night. He'll be back in the lineup soon.

He needs a year in the AHL. Maybe two.

Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Tyler Myers
Michael Del Zotto
John Tavares
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
Ryan O'Reilly
James Wright

Being a healthy scratch is part of the learning curve in the NHL. Why do you think he's above being benched a game?

Doughty, Stamkos, L. Schenn were also eligible for the team, but are obviously just too damn good to be playing in it.

Hedman also for Sweden...

Davebo*

Doughty, Stamkos, L. Schenn were also eligible for the team, but are obviously just too damn good to be playing in it.

There's a ton, for sure. :)

So the OP needs to give his head a shake. Then again, there's a reason I can't even read his post - he has a 'history'... ;)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Tyler Myers
Michael Del Zotto
John Tavares
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
Ryan O'Reilly
James Wright

Hence why the argument "Junior hockey is so much more fun, since the best junior players are in the tournament, compared to the WC" falls quite flat. It's not to the same extent, but it's still not true.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Tyler Myers
Michael Del Zotto
John Tavares
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
Ryan O'Reilly
James Wright

I knew Canadians would reply this way, but the post isn't about who's missing who - but that a players wasn't allowed to go despite not even being deemed a top 6 defender on the team, spending time in the AHL and even being a healthy scratch a few times. Instead of being a healthy scratch he should've been given the chance to represent his country - and get a bigger role there.

All the guys on that list have spots on their respective teams, Karlsson doesn't.

mooseOAK*

Ottawa refused to let him play in the WJC, and then the same night as Sweden makes their debut in the tournament, Karlsson is a healthy scratch.

If he means that little to the team, why the **** wouldn't they let him play in the WJC instead....?

Did you watch the Czech game? That kind of crap will mess the kid up from what he is supposed to be doing for the team that pays him.

Davebo*

I knew Canadians would reply this way, but the post isn't about who's missing who - but that a players wasn't allowed to go despite not even being deemed a top 6 defender on the team, spending time in the AHL and even being a healthy scratch a few times. Instead of being a healthy scratch he should've been given the chance to represent his country - and get a bigger role there.

All the guys on that list have spots on their respective teams, Karlsson doesn't.

Yes, he does. Except for one game.

Understand now? I unblocked in an attempt to reason with you. He wasn't 'sent down'. He was told to sit for one game. ONE.

Get it now? And go ask the player - he didn't even want to play for Sweden in any case - he'd rather develop his career.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Karlsson needs more experience (and ...body developpement) at this point. Not confidence...

They could have him doing some deadlifts, squats and bench press between shifts:sarcasm:

I was more referring to players in general and the belief that dropping from the NHL to this championship is a negative in a players development.

But with regards to Karlsson, being a healthy scratch, he obviously hasn't been a leader or "go to" guy in quite a while, which might have done him some good for this brief period of time.

but like was pointed out prior, Karlsson and Sens both agree that he is better off not going which is the most important thing

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto

Luke Schenn was a healthy scratch last week.....:sarcasm:

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Ottawa refused to let him play in the WJC, and then the same night as Sweden makes their debut in the tournament, Karlsson is a healthy scratch.

If he means that little to the team, why the **** wouldn't they let him play in the WJC instead....?

Ask them, sad really.

Again;

Dear Ottawa Senators,

**** you.

Sincerely yours,

Swedish hockey fans.

:laugh:

Murray gave him the choice. Karlsson choose to stay. It's one game, he'll probably play the next game.

But hey, if you wanna look at it that way, Murray's doing his part to help Canada.

:yo:

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
He was the best defenceman, named to the tournament all-star team, led the team in scoring, was named one of Sweden's top three players and was named best Swedish skater in the gold medal game.

At 18.

He's got absolutely nothing to learn down there. His confidence is fine, and he's been playing with Kuba for the vast majority of the time which means he's on the second pairing. He's also usually on the first powerplay unit except in those bizarre instances where they decide to put Shannon out on the point over him.

Word is he had flu-like symptoms so "healthy scratch" is a bit of a misnomer. Anyway, he chose to stay with the big club. Get over it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
:laugh:

Murray gave him the choice. Karlsson choose to stay. It's one game, he'll probably play the next game.

But hey, if you wanna look at it that way, Murray's doing his part to help Canada.

:yo:

I don't know if he was given the choice or not(source btw?), but of course he choosed to stay IF ASKED, you don't expect a junior to tell his GM anything else. He was very disappointed with being put in the minors the first time, and he wouldn't wanna risk that again I'm sure.

However, this is not about him staying or not, it's about him being a healthy scratch meanwhile the tournament goes on. If he's important to the club right now, he would't be scratched and judging some sens fans here he isn't one of your six best D-men, hence the speculations.

OperationHotMother

Dec 22, 2006
If he went to the tournament, Erik Karlsson would have missed 6 NHL games. I don't quite remember the rookie max, but I think its somewhere around 900k. So his total loss would be 900,000 * 6/82 = 65,853 dollars. that's a lot of money for a 19 year old to give up just for the sake of national pride.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
He is not a minor piece at all he did not play yesterday but he will play monday and so on.Lets just say ottawa had let him go and sweden gave him limited ice time would you be this up set over that.

He wouldn't get limited ice time, he would get a letter on his jersey and most ice time of all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad