WJC: Karlsson a healthy scratch in Ottawa

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Ottawa refused to let him play in the WJC, and then the same night as Sweden makes their debut in the tournament, Karlsson is a healthy scratch.

If he means that little to the team, why the **** wouldn't they let him play in the WJC instead....?

Rooooooooooxxxanne*

It's been noted by a few people that GM's/Coaches/Scouts don't think too highly of the WJC, obviously Karlsson would be dominant as he is one of the older players, and fans would love to see him play in it.

I think the Sens feel he will learn more by practicing with the team than he would playing an international tournament like the WJC. Also Karlsson will probably dress up for the sens while the WJC is happening, which again, will probably be better for his development/learning.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its Ottawa's right to keep him -- if they let him go he is away for like 2-3 weeks. What if they loose 2-3 D's in a game?

Players who are close to the NHL shouldn't be let go. Its a junior tournament.

Davebo*

Most countries are missing key players. Canada especially.

Suck it up...

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa refused to let him play in the WJC, and then the same night as Sweden makes their debut in the tournament, Karlsson is a healthy scratch.

If he means that little to the team, why the **** wouldn't they let him play in the WJC instead....?

No he does not mean that little to them they are keeping him up for the rest of the year.If they did not value him they would have send him back to the ahl or sweden.As for this one game that all it was to let him see from the press box and learn its good for him.

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
Bryan Murray thought him staying in Ottawa would be better, but he asked Karlsson and he wanted to be playing in the NHL.

Whats wrong with sitting a rookie for 1 game?

Karlsson will be playing next game and the game after.

Marshy's

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Who the **** cares. The world juniors is a terrible tournament for standout player. Its not like he won best defense man LAST year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Maybe because he's gonna play some other Sens games between the tournament, Bilros?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Who the **** cares. The world juniors is a terrible tournament for standout player. Its not like he won best defense man LAST year.

I'd rather watch Sweden in the WJC, than I'd watch Detroit in the NHL.

And to be clear, I'm a big fan of Detroit.

Maybe because he's gonna play some other Sens games between the tournament, Bilros?

If he's such a minor piece of the team, why not just let him play in the WJC to get some confidence back.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

If he's such a minor piece of the team, why not just let him play in the WJC to get some confidence back.

He is not a minor piece at all he did not play yesterday but he will play monday and so on.Lets just say ottawa had let him go and sweden gave him limited ice time would you be this up set over that.

Marshy's

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa

That's partially because Detroit can't score a goal this year

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Honestly, I think he's a bottom-pairing D-Men in Ottawa (not sure)
But still, bottom pairing D-Mens are playing like, 16 to 18 minutes, with some PP duties.

And confidence would do nothing about the fact he's a bottom-pairing D-Men or not, cause that's simply what he is at this point of his career.

On the other end, what's the incentive for Ottawa to do this? Karlsson is a Top-6 D-Men on the team, which doesn't prevent him from being scratched. Their team is better when Karlsson is available than when he isn't. So why would they send him?

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009

Because Ottawa doesn't want him to take step back from professionals to amateurs. It's not a big deal.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's still getting paid an NHL wage and will likely play the next game. It's not like he's in the AHL and will not be called up.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I guess I'll represent the Ottawa fans who wish he would have gone. Karlsson is exactly what we need in Ottawa right now... the problem is that he won't be that player until next year or the year after. He's not ready for the NHL right now and we have 7 D-men who are better than he is atm. But none of them have the pure offensive talent that he does, which is why we're rushing him. Maybe I'll celebrate this move next season if he takes a big step forward, but right now I can't help but seem him as a liability on the ice.

As for this story, he's not going to be sitting very much at all and I was surprised that he even sat last night. He'll be back in the lineup soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad