Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Whenever Weber returns, Alzner needs to be buried in the minors, not an NHL caliber player anymore. Keep him there next year as well and then a buyout becomes more palatable for the team in the final two years unless miraculously he can be traded to another team. His 3.7 in dead cap to the NHL roster is not an issue for the next couple of years.

Sorry Karl, I know you are a good guy and a pro but this is just business..
2kllbc.jpg

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Alzner is simply a bigger Josh Gorges, limited, pure defensive D who will sacrifice their bodies to block shots.

And since the league found his offense and mobility back, he, like Gorges, is a player of the past.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Spite? He has quite a few millions to earn, he signed his contract in good faith. His right to earn it, until management decides to buy him out.
Sure, but even HE knows that he ain’t worth jack shit anymore and that he’s making money he doesn’t deserve. It’s his right to make the money, but we as fans have the right to bash him mercilessly.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I saw Alzner play this year. Personally I don't think his mind or the way he thinks is fast enough. He's good for the old NHL 2000. But he's just too slow and doesn't move the pick quick enough. At this point he plays like a career AHL player like Simon Despres. I think he's a liability on defense. Mete would have been better in the lineup if he was healthy.

Beet option is buyout Alzner.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
This is the third guy we pay on a long-term basis, while he was at his best elsewhere.

Shaw and Weber are the others except that there's still hope for Weber.

Been trying to photoshop Alzner into this classic LoTR scene. Wanna give it a try?

giphy.gif

Caption could be "Wizard of lolz" at the top and "Thou Shall Pass" bottom. Bonus if you can make it animated and make the stick look like a hockey stick.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What about MB put Alzner on waivers and bring Brooks or Kulak in Mtl ?
Just a crazy idea I just had ...

Brooks is in the minor and will stay there for the year.

But it's not like we're not having options. Save for Adam Plant pretty much every d in the AHL this season could be an option worth looking at.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Three years remaining on his deal after the current year.

If they send him down now and keep him there until the end of next year - he may choose to LITR himself due to his pickle-jar related issues rather than stick around and ride the busses for two more years after that. If not he could be bought out or sent to a rebuilding team to be bought out.

Probably one of the worst contracts in the league right now.

Reactions: Bloumeister

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I am still fairly certain this is a Jeff Finger like situation where Bergevin signed Karl Alzner mistakenly thinking he was signing John Carlson.
Omg, that signing was one I'll never forget.

It's the first, and hopefully last, time of my life where I see a player getting a 14 mil/4 year contract and having to Google his name to see who he was.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Just an awful signing, dude is declining every year, wouldn't be surprised if he retires next season. He's not even third pair material anymore.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So a wannabee uhaulish moving truck takes out a Hydro pole just outside my home. WTF no power missed the game. Power comes on at 9:30 PM and I tune in to that overtime...yikes. So I just watched a replay of the first period trying to figure out how we end up blowing a 3-1 lead. Not gonna watch the second or third Alzner answered my query in the first. I seriously think we go into games -1 when he plays.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So a wannabee uhaulish moving truck takes out a Hydro pole just outside my home. WTF no power missed the game. Power comes on at 9:30 PM and I tune in to that overtime...yikes. So I just watched a replay of the first period trying to figure out how we end up blowing a 3-1 lead. Not gonna watch the second or third Alzner answered my query in the first. I seriously think we go into games -1 when he plays.

That U-Haulish moving truck did you a favor.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

When him Benn and Schlemko are all in the lineup at the same time (50% of the defense) we start -2 easily. Almost impossible to win unless the other team is playing poorly or Price is playing like god.

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad