Kari Lehtonen vs Marc Andre Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
Vlad The Impaler said:
They also have more heart, more leadership and a better diet thanks to Canadian beer.

Canada has beer?

hockey_in_hel* said:
Fleury!!! I am really not impressed by Lehtonen. And he probably might be better than Fleury later on, but I don't like him because he is startign to take over the job of Nurminen, Dafoe, and Hurme, adn I don't think that's right!

-Tyler

Yeah too bad, tell them to reach for their unemployment forms and practice filling them in..

backatyou said:
fleury, the canadian goalies are always the best

dude, the world changes..

you could list 10 Canadian goalie prospects and I 10 Finnish, and we'd be about even..

Lehtonen vs Fleury?
Lehtonen for now, (as my homer pick), I've seen Kari dominate in big games, I've seen Fleury fold in a big game.
Until proven otherwise, that for me will be the yardstick.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
PapaBear said:
Who would you rather have as your #1 and who will be better in 10years?

I've never heard a single scout or read a single scouting report that that doesn't put Lehtonen well ahead of Fleury. Looking at the AHL stats for each confirms this.

Fleury is vastly overrrated. His rep rests almost entirely on his play in the WJC 2 years ago and the fact that he was drafted #1. Last year he was out and out poor. This year he is playing reasonably well, but not like some future star. As for being drafted #1, he was far fom being the consensus #1 pick. The Pens wanted a goalie. He might just as easily gone 4 or 5.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
arnie said:
I've never heard a single scout or read a single scouting report that that doesn't put Lehtonen well ahead of Fleury. Looking at the AHL stats for each confirms this.

Fleury is vastly overrrated. His rep rests almost entirely on his play in the WJC 2 years ago and the fact that he was drafted #1. Last year he was out and out poor. This year he is playing reasonably well, but not like some future star. As for being drafted #1, he was far fom being the consensus #1 pick. The Pens wanted a goalie. He might just as easily gone 4 or 5.

Well said :handclap: ! Now, as we all agree that Lehtonen is better than Fleury we can move on to another comparison! Round 2. Hmmmm, Fleury vs. Montoya!

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
arnie said:

..does what # he was drafted at really matter? I don't think it does.

Care to elaborate on that bold section? He was terrific in the NHL in the beginning of his stint, yet as the season went along he begin losing it...which you kind of have to expect, what still being a teenager and all. I'd say his season last year, while not flawless, was decent overall given the amount he was jerked around. I'm certainly not looking back and remembering him being 'out and out poor' all of last season. People just love to look at one line of #'s and post a list of predictions and conlcusions on them that are essentially baseless.

As for the Fleury vs Lethonen re-re-re-re-rehash....I'm not going to argue that Lethonen is ahead of Fleury now, that much seems clear. However, to suggest Fleury will never be better than Lethonen just because he isn't now is absurd. Lethonen is better now, but he is also further along his development. Fleury's skills are amazing, and IMO his upside is as good as Lethonen's. Players have this strange way of getting better than other players....it's not all predetermined based on where they are as 20 yr olds.

If this was 'who is better now' than I would say Lethonen. However, this thread is on who you would rather have in the long run...it is a lot closer IMO than some are making it out to be. People need to stop using a few portions of statistics and using it to define the careers of player who are not even able to legally drink alcohol. IMO it is anyone's guess who winds up better in the long run, either one could easily be better than the other. Hopefully both will be stars in the NHL.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
arnie said:

Fleury is vastly overrrated. His rep rests almost entirely on his play in the WJC 2 years ago and the fact that he was drafted #1. Last year he was out and out poor.
I see. Were you by chance incarcerated for October and November?

This year he is playing reasonably well, but not like some future star.
Interesting. How many times have you seen him this year?

acr*

I've read that a fatal flaw of Fleury's game is that he has his "Salo Moments" every once in a while(see:'03 WJC title game)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
MA Fleury - gp 19 11-5-2 gaa 2.52 sv .908
Kari Lehtonen - gp 39 20-14-2 gaa 2.41 sv .926

Lehtonen's the better prospect now, but I don't see how so many of you can label Fleury as a disappointment already. He's putting up good numbers in the AHL as you can see.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
This conversation will be so much more interesting in 5 or even 10 years when they're both great goalies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Rowsdower said:
..does what # he was drafted at really matter? I don't think it does.

Care to elaborate on that bold section? He was terrific in the NHL in the beginning of his stint, yet as the season went along he begin losing it...which you kind of have to expect, what still being a teenager and all. I'd say his season last year, while not flawless, was decent overall given the amount he was jerked around. I'm certainly not looking back and remembering him being 'out and out poor' all of last season. People just love to look at one line of #'s and post a list of predictions and conlcusions on them that are essentially baseless.

As for the Fleury vs Lethonen re-re-re-re-rehash....I'm not going to argue that Lethonen is ahead of Fleury now, that much seems clear. However, to suggest Fleury will never be better than Lethonen just because he isn't now is absurd. Lethonen is better now, but he is also further along his development. Fleury's skills are amazing, and IMO his upside is as good as Lethonen's. Players have this strange way of getting better than other players....it's not all predetermined based on where they are as 20 yr olds.

If this was 'who is better now' than I would say Lethonen. However, this thread is on who you would rather have in the long run...it is a lot closer IMO than some are making it out to be. People need to stop using a few portions of statistics and using it to define the careers of player who are not even able to legally drink alcohol. IMO it is anyone's guess who winds up better in the long run, either one could easily be better than the other. Hopefully both will be stars in the NHL.
Its futile. I don't know how many times we've had to spell it out for people.

Oh well, we'll take our future franchise goaltender while the rest of you are all over Lehtonen's jock.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Dark Metamorphosis said:
MA Fleury - gp 19 11-5-2 gaa 2.52 sv .908
Kari Lehtonen - gp 39 20-14-2 gaa 2.41 sv .926

Lehtonen's the better prospect now, but I don't see how so many of you can label Fleury as a disappointment already. He's putting up good numbers in the AHL as you can see.

Why has he played so few games?

acr said:
I've read that a fatal flaw of Fleury's game is that he has his "Salo Moments" every once in a while(see:'03 WJC title game)

That mistake, as funny as it was, isn't much to read into in my opinion; just a bit of bad luck at a bad time. Still, I have to admit I still crack up every time I see it :D

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Kari Lehtonen gonna soon become one of the most dominating goalie we ever saw. IMO. He has it all, I cant say how much I'm high on him. Atlanta scares me if they can get a somewhat decent defense.

He's huge, fast, strong physically, real strong mentally, he gots some sick legs. Amazing glove.

As much as I would like Fleury to be the next great goaltender of my nation, I don't think he ever gonna become a top-star. He's quick... so damn quick but he has a fluorescent five-hole and IMO, note thats just my unbiased opinion but he doesnt have that Roy-Brodeur-Belfour-Theodore-Lehtonen mental thoughness that makes a good goaltender the best of his peer. He's got Jocelyn Thibault written all-over him. Not bad, even real good. Just far away from Lehtonen.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
he doesnt have that Roy-Brodeur-Belfour-Theodore-Lehtonen mental thoughness that makes a good goaltender the best of his peer. He's got Jocelyn Thibault written all-over him.
Just wondering, are you basing that on that one play in the WJC last year?

Steve Latin*

CoupeStanley said:
he doesnt have that Roy-Brodeur-Belfour-Theodore-Lehtonen mental thoughness that makes a good goaltender the best of his peer.

:lol:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hey Steve, wouldn't it be nice if people would do a simple google search before posting claims? I only did two, Roy and Brodeur, but I suspect that almost all would be the same. Roy had a goals against of about 5 before coming to the Canadians. Brodeur had a GA approaching 4 even in his first year with the Devils. Some mental toughness and so easy to spot those great ones at that age, isn't it? Maffy is all washed up:

Martin Brodeur's start:

1992-93 Utica AHL 32 14 13 5 1952 131 1133 0 4.03 .884
1991-92 New Jersey NHL 4 2 1 0 179 10 85 0 3.35 .882
1991-92 St-Hyacinthe QMJHL 48 27 16 4 2846 161 - 2 3.39 -
1990-91 St-Hyacinthe QMJHL 52 22 24 4 2946 162 - 2 3.3 -
1989-90 St-Hyacinthe QMJHL 42 23 13 2 2333 156 - 0 4.01

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_id=262&hubname=NJ

Roy's start:

Season Team Lge GP G A PIM Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct GP G A PIM
1982-83 Granby Bisons QMJHL 54 0 0 14 2808 293 3 0 6.26 0 0 0 0 0.000 - - - -
1983-84 Granby Bisons QMJHL 61 0 6 15 3585 265 4 0 4.44 0 0 0 0 0.000 4 0 0 0
1984-85 Granby Bisons QMJHL 44 0 2 74 2463 228 3 0 5.55 16 25 1 0 0.000 - - - -