Speculation: Kapanen vs. Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson

• Total voters

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Keep Johnsson. He's our best LW and I think he's the more offensively talented of the two. I see him as a cheap 50+ point player with lots of upside. Guy plays hard.

I'd absolutely keep Kappy if we can, but I think he's more of a Swiss Army knife type and is replaceable by committee. We've got Bracco coming up who can fill in for Kapanens offensive production. Kapanen's versatility might also make him the more attractive trade target, so if we can get a better return for a guy who scores less, I think that's worthwhile. I love his knack for coming up clutch, but he was really disappointing down the stretch and in the playoffs this year.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
bit dissappointed with Kap this year. slow/failing to make passes esp when playing with matthews.

i like both players but i would lose 1 or both of them before kadri or nylander.

really close between kap and aj. kap better but aj lower cap hit.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
This is always tough. Kapanen has the obvious advantage of being nearly 2 full years younger than Johnsson, which gives him a better chance at a longer career, more development, etc. On the other hand, Johnsson is a LW, and we are much weaker in that position (Hyman, Moore, & old Marleau), than we are on the right side (Marner, Nylander, Brown, Mikheyev, Bracco).

In my opinion, Johnsson is the more talented offensive force. Kapanen's speed is an obvious attention grabber, and on the surface, they posted relatively similar numbers, but I think that Johnsson's playmaking, puckhandling, and finishing abilities make him a much bigger threat on the PP and offensive game.

Kapanen, however, seems to be the better defensive player. His speed and ability to close gaps quickly and blow the zone to create transition (with or without the puck), make him a super dangerous PK option.

So you're taking a gamble with either side. If you think that a consistent 20-25, 45-50 point scoring left-winger who can compliment players like Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, and Marner really well offensively, but is 24 years old, is more vital to this team's success, then Johnsson. If you want the 22 year old winger who can dominate in your bottom six with this speed, be a good PKer, but doesn't do a great job of increasing the offensive output of his linemates, then Kapanen is your guy.

Ideally, I'd love to keep both, they both fill big needs, mainly Johnsson as a LW, and Kapanen as a PKer. I don't want to see Kapanen in the top 6, because I think he will do best playing against weaker competition, creating offense in a more individual way. I love Johnsson in the top six as a dangerous tertiary scorer flanking Matthews & Nylander who just boosts their offensive potential with his skillset. At this juncture, Kapanen seems more easily replaceable though. Guys with Johnsson's skill on the LW don't just fall into your lap, and we don't have any great LW prospects.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Wouldn't mind seeing Kappy Matthews reunited , id try nylander w tavares

*** Is there a thread for the Blue Jays. ugh its that time of year again

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen will look great again.
The thought of Babcock being back behind the bench next year makes me sick. Another year wasted. Matthews won’t have a MacKinnon like breakout season until Babs is gone.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
One of Kap/AJ will be gone this off season in a multi player deal with someone for a D man I think. Should be an interesting summer

Could be but the other unspecified piece will have to be more than a spare part. Kapanen & AJ are decent yet middle of the lineup forwards on most teams. Teams typically have guys like this in their systems so no dire need to trade for our guys unless the return is right.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is always tough. Kapanen has the obvious advantage of being nearly 2 full years younger than Johnsson, which gives him a better chance at a longer career, more development, etc. On the other hand, Johnsson is a LW, and we are much weaker in that position (Hyman, Moore, & old Marleau), than we are on the right side (Marner, Nylander, Brown, Mikheyev, Bracco).

In my opinion, Johnsson is the more talented offensive force. Kapanen's speed is an obvious attention grabber, and on the surface, they posted relatively similar numbers, but I think that Johnsson's playmaking, puckhandling, and finishing abilities make him a much bigger threat on the PP and offensive game.

Kapanen, however, seems to be the better defensive player. His speed and ability to close gaps quickly and blow the zone to create transition (with or without the puck), make him a super dangerous PK option.

So you're taking a gamble with either side. If you think that a consistent 20-25, 45-50 point scoring left-winger who can compliment players like Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, and Marner really well offensively, but is 24 years old, is more vital to this team's success, then Johnsson. If you want the 22 year old winger who can dominate in your bottom six with this speed, be a good PKer, but doesn't do a great job of increasing the offensive output of his linemates, then Kapanen is your guy.

Ideally, I'd love to keep both, they both fill big needs, mainly Johnsson as a LW, and Kapanen as a PKer. I don't want to see Kapanen in the top 6, because I think he will do best playing against weaker competition, creating offense in a more individual way. I love Johnsson in the top six as a dangerous tertiary scorer flanking Matthews & Nylander who just boosts their offensive potential with his skillset. At this juncture, Kapanen seems more easily replaceable though. Guys with Johnsson's skill on the LW don't just fall into your lap, and we don't have any great LW prospects.

Good post

In particular I think folks are letting Kapanens red hot (and unsustainable) first half of the season his rather lackluster second half.

I'd like to keep him, but he could be one of the teams better trade chips AND the team will have Nylander and Marner under bigger money deals who play RW

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
bit dissappointed with Kap this year. slow/failing to make passes esp when playing with matthews.

i like both players but i would lose 1 or both of them before kadri or nylander.

really close between kap and aj. kap better but aj lower cap hit.

At least AJ and Kap are available for the entire playoffs, unlike dum dum. But we have to keep him because we don't have any centre depth.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Gun to my head, I pick Johnsson.

Idk why though, Kapanen is probably better and has more time to improve. Let's hope we can keep both.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Both guys are young, controllable, reasonably cost-effective, and likely to contribute to the top 6. Find a way to fit them both.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Either is expendable. We need defense and a goalie who can stop a beachball in the playoffs.
I am looking for a good trade to shore up our defense. Especially since guys like Muzzin, Gardiner, Hainsey aren't going to be here soon ...

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
As much as I'd hate to lose kappy's game breaking speed, I think AJ is the more well rounded player. If we absolutely can't keep both, then I'm going with mango.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Wow this is a close poll!

Very hard to decide personally. Aj is older but plays LW which we are lacking. Kap is younger and faster but pays rw and at times seems to lack offensive creativity. Would love to keep both.

I'd trade nylander before either of these guys unless they demand some outrageous money. For his 7 mil we can easily fit both of these guys.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Trade either or both of Nylander and Kadri, and keep both Kapanen and Johnsson would be my choice.

If I had to pick one, I'd keep Kapanen, but it's very close.

Reactions: Budsfan

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
2 career assists Kapanen plays with Matthews and brought his assists/60 up to the point he tied Connor Brown this season.
Glad to have him on my 3rd or 4th line any day as long as he's not getting paid more then Brown. Not that Johnsson hit
as many primary assists as Connor Brown either, but think he could be a top six player.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It will all boil down to AJ's contract demands. If he takes 2.1M from Leafs he will be back. If he keeps pushing for 3M see ya and don't let door hit yeah in da a**.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The thought of Babcock being back behind the bench next year makes me sick. Another year wasted. Matthews won’t have a MacKinnon like breakout season until Babs is gone.

If Matthews dominates all areas of the I've like McKinnon does he'll get all the ice he can handle. If he continues to be dominant one game, lackluster the next, he'll stay at his current ice allotment.

I like that some people think ice time should be handed out vs earned.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's unfortunate the young GM put us in a spot to have to choose.

If it's me I pick Kap. I don't think LW/RW matters much in this case. Just keep the better player.

Of course another factor is trade value. Maybe Kap brings a much better return, in which case you might keep AJ.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Matthews dominates all areas of the I've like McKinnon does he'll get all the ice he can handle. If he continues to be dominant one game, lackluster the next, he'll stay at his current ice allotment.

I like that some people think ice time should be handed out vs earned.

It's this type of thinking which leads to guys like Brown getting minutes during a third period of a playoff game while the team is trailing. Nice philosophy when youre working with kids to install the fundamentals of the game, less so when the seasons on the line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad