Speculation: Kapanen vs. Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson

• Total voters

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They fall in to our first hard asset management decisions. Marlies or a Marlie likely having to teplace them

I see it as a evaluation window to possibly add a need and subtract a rfa increase salary.

I believe Johnsson would survive of the two but Kappy will get a good return in trade.

Both could he back if other moves came along ans they don't price themselves out.

I am expecting moves this off season and lots of them.

Edit: just read Johnssons contract refusal rumour. He gooone

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While I can see Dubas moving Brown, it's only going to save about $1.25M off the cap. This move does very little to address the fact that both AJ and Kap are looking for new deals.

IMO at least one, and perhaps two, of the following are going to have to be moved to alleviate next year's cap crunch.
Marleau
Zaitsev
Kadri
Nylander

It just becomes a matter of how, and what the return each will bring.

I dont think Dubas is going to touch what he views as his "core" this offseason.

Zaitsev likely had a target on his back given he has a Ntc about to kick in.

Maybe one of Kappanen or AJ too, but only ino in a hockey trade for a D man rather than as a cap shedding move

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kappy brings a more complete game to the table and he is best buddies with Willy. He is going nowhere. That is why you have heard nothing about his deal.

AJ on the other hand has no real friends on team. And he has asked way too much over what Leafs have offered 2M per. He will get packaged with a salary dump like Z for a young ELC defender preferably RHD.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Kapanen is going to be overpaid. He isn't a top-6 player. He is an amazing player to have on the 3rd line where he can burn bad matchups with his speed, but he just doesn't contribute to a cycle and can't pass the puck to save his life. He is the 2nd coming of Jason Blake. Rushes up the wing, and if it isn't a clean breakaway he skates into the corner and loses possession via a bad angle shot.

I'd love to keep Kappy (on the 3rd line), but if the AAV for him is anything over $2-3-mill then I hope he gets that somewhere else.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I dont think Dubas is going to touch what he views as his "core" this offseason.

Zaitsev likely had a target on his back given he has a Ntc about to kick in.

Maybe one of Kappanen or AJ too, but only ino in a hockey trade for a D man rather than as a cap shedding move

So how do you believe he will shed cap? (aside from the $1.25 from moving Brown for a pick)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Probably Johnsson by virtue of the fact we're loaded on the right wing already, and particularly thin on the Left. I mean, Johnsson & Hyman are our top 2 LWers, so it's not at all a position of strength for us.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
All we get is greedy players
Mathews
Nylander
Marner

Let them both go

Probably think they are stars.

I will include marleau in that group if he doesn't except a trade.
One of the boys that he was nurturing will be traded.
Thanks for one year of good hockey dad.
Your welcome son

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think Johnsson is the better player now, but may have more limited upside. He also plays the position of greater scarcity.

Kapanen might have greater trade value due to being younger and having the only real plus tool between the two players -- his speed.

Could come down to a cap decision if the org sees them as roughly equivalent.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think Johnsson is the better player now, but may have more limited upside. He also plays the position of greater scarcity.

Kapanen might have greater trade value due to being younger and having the only real plus tool between the two players -- his speed.

Could come down to a cap decision if the org sees them as roughly equivalent.

Yup. I slightly lean kapanen due to age + better all around game, but he's certainly not better to the extent where you keep him no matter what

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would sign Kap to a 1 year deal and AJ like a 3 year bridge. Kap shouldn't be arbitration eligible next year i think and it allows us to resign him once Marleau's cap is off the table. Should also be a fairly cheap for the short term.

Something like 2.5 x 3 for AJ (brown contract-ish) and a 1.5 x 1 for Kap or something? Not sure what a 1 year deal would be.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So how do you believe he will shed cap? (aside from the $1.25 from moving Brown for a pick)

Wel Gardiner is likely going to walk. Brown likely traded and possibly Zaitsev too.

Dubas will need to be creative with free agency or trades to then find two rhd to fit in that salary range (where a kapanen or AJ trade may happen)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kapanen is the better overall talent. Also Kapanen's a more robust specimen. Johnsson seems to have a little more intangibles in terms of compete and getting under the opposition's skin.

If forced to choose, it would still depend upon the price. Johnsson is going to make less and that discount might swing the pendulum in his direction.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Kapanen has more potential once he learns how to control the puck using his speed more and play more of a cycle game.

Johnsson is better on the powerplay and cycling the pucks.

Really these 2 players should not be on the same line. Johnsson is better suited to play up the line up while Kapanen is better suited for pk and the 3rd line.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kapanen doesn't seem to process the game quick enough, good skater though.
Johnsson easily for me.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Probably Johnsson by virtue of the fact we're loaded on the right wing already, and particularly thin on the Left. I mean, Johnsson & Hyman are our top 2 LWers, so it's not at all a position of strength for us.
I like Moore more then Johnsson as he picks his spots to much on the ice as to when to take a check and when not to. So for me Johnsson is going over Kappy. We will need a left winger to play on the 3/4 line. Lots available for cheap.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
how about we trade brown and sign both to a one year deal and then talk extension when that albatross of marleau contract is off the books

That's what I would do. Let them both go to arbitration for one season. Let Marleau come off books and then sign them if they are looking for too much. Or else deal them next off season. Cannot see them making more then 2.5 each out of arbitration.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Depends. If Michael keeps trying to square the circle on Matthews RW, then keep Johnsson. If Kapanen is moved to the LW, where he belongs, then keep Kapanen, due to his more unique skill-set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad