Speculation: Kapanen vs. Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson

• Total voters

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
It's this type of thinking which leads to guys like Brown getting minutes during a third period of a playoff game while the team is trailing. Nice philosophy when youre working with kids to install the fundamentals of the game, less so when the seasons on the line
Exactly

Reactions: Menzinger

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
If Matthews dominates all areas of the I've like McKinnon does he'll get all the ice he can handle. If he continues to be dominant one game, lackluster the next, he'll stay at his current ice allotment.

I like that some people think ice time should be handed out vs earned.
Well the guy plays 16-18 minutes a night with 3rd liners. Easier said than done.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's this type of thinking which leads to guys like Brown getting minutes during a third period of a playoff game while the team is trailing. Nice philosophy when youre working with kids to install the fundamentals of the game, less so when the seasons on the line

If a skilled player can't be trusted in all areas of the ice it's tough for a good coach to lean on them. This is just fundamental stuff. It's up to a guy like Matthews to see guys like Bergeron and Marchand and McKinnon and figure out what he's lacking that those guys have. Skill wise he's there, there's other stuff that needs to mature.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Well the guy plays 16-18 minutes a night with 3rd liners. Easier said than done.

Who do you want him to play with? Marner and Tavares are a unit. Nylander had a 7 goal campaign and was dragging everyone down.

Crosby went through large portions of his career playing with junk players. He managed to elevate all aspects of his game.

Stop making excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: illusory

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Kapanen has higher offensive potental in my eyes. Could see him take the next step next year. I really, really hope we can figure a way to keep both. They're great complimantry pieces. But push comes to shove and I can only keep one its Kap. Respect anyone who says different though. Johnsson was the better player in the Boston series.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Johnsson by a mile. Could easily be turned into a third line 200’ player. Too many Kapanen style players. Those thinking Kapanen plays a gritty game aren't watching. He rarely wins a race to the corner for a puck and never wins puck battles. One of the top two overrated Leafs which I hope is soon to be ex Leaf.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Why the Leafs Should Explore Trading Andreas Johnsson

An interesting article to consider. Johnsson is one of my favourite players on the Leafs for sure, and in this thread, I've defended keeping him over Kapanen based on some of my own perceptions. Johnsson seems like the more cerebral, skilled player, and fills a need on LW.

This article raises some interesting points though. First of all, I didn't realize how much worse Johnsson is in transition. That's fine if he plays with strong transition players (like Matthews & Nylander), and can just compliment them well, but it means he probably can't drive possession for his own line like Kapanen could. Secondly, Johnsson is 24 years old (the peak of offensive output for most NHLers), and had a very high shooting %, and scored at 53% above his expected total at 5v5 (16 vs 10.5 xG). All of those are red flags that Johnsson might end up being a bit of a Connor Brown type of player. I don't think the regression would hit as hard (especially if he gets consistent top 9 linemates, no injuries, PP time, etc)...but overall, I don't think his numbers are going to look this good on a per minute basis, again.

It's interesting to consider. Johnsson is definitely still valuable. Throw him with Matthews & Nylander for 82 games, and give him PP time, and he probably scores 20 & 40-45 again. But he does have contract negotiations right now, and his perceived value around the league may be at a premium, just like it was after Brown's 20 goal rookie season. I'm sure we're all wishing we'd traded Brown then.

I'd hate to see Johnsson go, but if it was able to get us a player like Colin Miller on RD, I'd be all for it to better the team overall. It's little moves like this that can make a championship team. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe Johnsson is just that talented of a shooter, and he'll score 25-30 next season. If I'm right though...sell high baby.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014

An interesting article to consider. Johnsson is one of my favourite players on the Leafs for sure, and in this thread, I've defended keeping him over Kapanen based on some of my own perceptions. Johnsson seems like the more cerebral, skilled player, and fills a need on LW.

This article raises some interesting points though. First of all, I didn't realize how much worse Johnsson is in transition. That's fine if he plays with strong transition players (like Matthews & Nylander), and can just compliment them well, but it means he probably can't drive possession for his own line like Kapanen could. Secondly, Johnsson is 24 years old (the peak of offensive output for most NHLers), and had a very high shooting %, and scored at 53% above his expected total at 5v5 (16 vs 10.5 xG). All of those are red flags that Johnsson might end up being a bit of a Connor Brown type of player. I don't think the regression would hit as hard (especially if he gets consistent top 9 linemates, no injuries, PP time, etc)...but overall, I don't think his numbers are going to look this good on a per minute basis, again.

It's interesting to consider. Johnsson is definitely still valuable. Throw him with Matthews & Nylander for 82 games, and give him PP time, and he probably scores 20 & 40-45 again. But he does have contract negotiations right now, and his perceived value around the league may be at a premium, just like it was after Brown's 20 goal rookie season. I'm sure we're all wishing we'd traded Brown then.

I'd hate to see Johnsson go, but if it was able to get us a player like Colin Miller on RD, I'd be all for it to better the team overall. It's little moves like this that can make a championship team. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe Johnsson is just that talented of a shooter, and he'll score 25-30 next season. If I'm right though...sell high baby.

Mind you, a lot of the same things could be said about Kapanen. However consider that he is only 22, had a lower sh%, and is seemingly a better rounded player (PK, transition game). His stock could still rise, even if he isn't the best #2 guy to play with Matthews or Kadri and be their playmaker, in my books, a 20 goal season while playing on the 3rd line and 2nd PP, and creating individual offense, seems viable.

I almost wonder if Kapanen could transition to the LW and become a smaller, more skilled version of Hyman. Use his speed to forecheck and create turnovers, as well as breakouts and zone entries, then dish the puck to Matthews/Nylander and head to the front of the net, or help out with the cycle.

Reactions: Magic Man

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Leafs have more wingers on the way. Something will give. No one can afford this lineup but until Marner signs we don't know exactly where we stand yet.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Johnsson doesn't have the IQ to merit keeping him over Kapanen and those legs. Can you imagine Kapanen in his prime? He was our best player impact wise in many games this season before that nasty fall into the boards. Perfect 2 way game. Gives teams no space and carries the puck up the ice in the blink of an eye. Doesn't need points to help get the W up on the board.

I'm surprised the votes are this close. I see Kapanen being a tier above Johnsson by the end of their careers.

Reactions: FMichael

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Johnsson doesn't have the IQ to merit keeping him over Kapanen and those legs. Can you imagine Kapanen in his prime? He was our best player impact wise in many games this season before that nasty fall into the boards. Perfect 2 way game. Gives teams no space and carries the puck up the ice in the blink of an eye. Doesn't need points to help get the W up on the board.

I'm surprised the votes are this close. I see Kapanen being a tier above Johnsson by the end of their careers.
You realize you’re talking about Kapanen here right? Perfect two way game? Lol.

Reactions: egd27

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Tough choice. One I wouldn't want to have to make. Kapanen's speed, younger and size advantage over Johnsson. Johnsson better hands and more offensive instincts. Both show compete and same grit imho. Johnsson's 20 goals might bring back a better return, although I am sure other GM's salivate over Kapanen's speed and youth (potential).

I'd keep Kapanen. Parlaying, Johnsson, a 7th rounder into a high pick or a package for a top 4 D, would be good asset management. I think one will have to go if they don't clear up Marleau's contract somehow.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Matthews dominates all areas of the I've like McKinnon does he'll get all the ice he can handle. If he continues to be dominant one game, lackluster the next, he'll stay at his current ice allotment.

I like that some people think ice time should be handed out vs earned.

When Matthews is on he was scoring at a 50/50+ pace with elite defense. When he's cold he's still scoring at a 35/75 pace with good defense. Even if Matthews was cold for the entire year, he should still be getting top ice time. No other team would play a 35/75 guy 17 minutes a night, he'd most likely be on their top line with 1st unit PP minutes.

Reactions: Menzinger

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I just can't get over the thought of a successful line having a Scorer, Passer, and Grit. From Leeman, Olczyk, Osborn to Tavares, Marner, Hyman to Kurri, Gretzky, Tikkanen.

To build a successful line for Matthews, who is his passer? Who is his grit? I would consider the best candidates for the job to be Nylander and Kapanen.

I just don't see AJ having the play-making or grit to be a complimentary player a top line. He's a decent enough player, but can't say there's one attribute that I would miss.
I would hold his trade value higher then his usefulness quickly if his salary demands are too high.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I feel like people put too much stock into Kapanen's speed. It's elite for sure, but how many times does it lead to something when he is carrying the puck?

I lik Kapanen a lot, but he really had lous IQ when it comes to creativity and playmaking (in part imo why his scoring dipped quite a bit when his sh% started to come back down to earth)

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

I'd take AJ on a Brown deal. I did stop reading but that's pretty much what I gather from we wish we should have traded Brown. Why do we keep making trades for 30 year old dman for 22 to 24 year old forwards. We don't have to make dumb trades we hardly have made a mistake yet everyone's like. Hahaha leafs gunna suck forb10 more years....that's not even close to true.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I'd take AJ on a Brown deal. I did stop reading but that's pretty much what I gather from we wish we should have traded Brown. Why do we keep making trades for 30 year old dman for 22 to 24 year old forwards. We don't have to make dumb trades we hardly have made a mistake yet everyone's like. Hahaha leafs gunna suck forb10 more years....that's not even close to true.
But Johnsson isn't going to take a Brown deal. The point isn't that Johnsson isn't worth the money he's going to command, the point is once he has that contract, his value is going to go downhill. Usually guys don't sustain his scoring rate, sh%, especially past the age of 24 years old. If we were to trade him, this is a prime time to do so.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Kappy makes this team so fast. Plays pk also.. johnsson is soft and guy plays with his head down sll the time. Soon hes gonna get hit n put his career at risk

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kappy makes this team so fast. Plays pk also.. johnsson is soft and guy plays with his head down sll the time. Soon hes gonna get hit n put his career at risk

Johnsson is not soft... he was the most hated leaf in the bruins series. He’s pesky, and fearless... he’s no Tom Wilson, but he’s most definitely not soft.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I dont know how u see that? Johnsson has a higher IQ than Kapanen. See Kapanen on a 2-1, make the wrong decision more times than not aka D man begging Kap to shoot and he forces a pass. Kapanen has upside if his shot accuracy and decision making improve with the puck. I would 100% choose Kapanen based on his speed , PK, puck pressure 5 v5. I question Johnsson's long term durability giving how he puck watches and how his size doesnt support how he goes into the corners.
Johnsson should be used in a trade to acquire a right shot dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad