Speculation: Kapanen vs. Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson

• Total voters

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Obviously due to the salary cap things some player movement was going to happen anyway, but let's say we are faced with a choice between these two players, the other needing to be used in a trade.

which of these two wingers would you keep going forward, and why?

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Honestly, if a team prefers one over the other in a potential trade to get that D-Man we need then sign me up.

I like both pretty equally so the above is what would be the deciding factor.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would like both of them obviously.

If I had to choose 1 I think I would go with AJ as he compliments Matthews more and has more versatility in my mind. Kap is great, especially going North-South, but he is lacking in other areas of the game.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd keep Kapanen, because he offers you more.

He probably also gets you more on the trade market or in a package however, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just played his last game as a Leaf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Kapanen has a lower ceiling IMO. Johnsson can get bigger and faster, I don't know if Kapanen can get smarter.

I do like Kapanen as a potential Grabner you can hide lower down the lineup and have him drop 30 goals just off breakaways.

Reactions: Johnny Engine

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A few factors to consider (ex. contracts, Kapanen's role as a PKer). Johnsson can probably be a top six LW easier than Kapanen can be a top six RW.

Reactions: hockeynorth

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Johnson way better. Kappy just speed and has no offensive awareness and goes into the tunnel vision in the Ozone. No idea how he scored 20 goals this season. Kappy should be on the 3rd line and PK.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
We have 2 40 goal centers and another 30 goal center in Kadri. We need to surround them with more playmakers instead of low IQ players that rush up the ice and take a bad shot and lose possession.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Johnsson Plays the more needed position but he also rode a sky high sh% for most of the season.

So did Kappy but his began to plummet back down to earth near seasons end and into the playoffs.

Ideally you sign both to a short term bridge deal - Kappy likely holds the slightly higher trade value which may be his ticket out of toe

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its not 'losing' both... you're going to get assets in return.

And yes, there is a reason. We need different types of players to fill out our roster.

But I don’t see why the Leafs need to lose BOTH. I can see wanting to trade say one for a D man, but not seeing the justification for losing two of the better depth wingers the team has. Especially since each brings different aspects - Kapanen a bit more grit, AJ the more offensive minded ect

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
But I don’t see why the Leafs need to lose BOTH. I can see wanting to trade say one for a D man, but not seeing the justification for losing two of the better depth wingers the team has. Especially since each brings different aspects - Kapanen a bit more grit, AJ the more offensive minded ect

There is this little thing called the Salary Cap... We can't keep all out players, and it is not a garuntee that we will trade Marleau and his contract away. There is no garuntee that we'll trade Zaitsev or Brown for that matter either.

Johnsson is the better of the two IMO, but he doesn't PK, he doesn't really grind down the other team's defense... he is a bit of a tweener. Kapanen at least has a valuable skillset with his speed, but his IQ may not be there, and what we see now might be all we get. Also, despite his speed, he hasn't been the best PKer... an upgrade there would be beneficial too.

Depth wingers aren't all that difficult to replace...

lol at Kapanen bringing grit...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There is this little thing called the Salary Cap... We can't keep all out players, and it is not a garuntee that we will trade Marleau and his contract away. There is no garuntee that we'll trade Zaitsev or Brown for that matter either.

Johnsson is the better of the two IMO, but he doesn't PK, he doesn't really grind down the other team's defense... he is a bit of a tweener. Kapanen at least has a valuable skillset with his speed, but his IQ may not be there, and what we see now might be all we get. Also, despite his speed, he hasn't been the best PKer... an upgrade there would be beneficial too.

Depth wingers aren't all that difficult to replace...

lol at Kapanen bringing grit...

I agree that depth is replaceable, but Dubas isn’t going to lose two of his skilled depth pieces before he moves a guy like Brown. Got to remember who the GM is here. I just have a hard time seeing a scenario where they opt to lose both in one offseason

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I agree that depth is replaceable, but Dubas isn’t going to lose two of his skilled depth pieces before he moves a guy like Brown. Got to remember who the GM is here. I just have a hard time seeing a scenario where they opt to lose both in one offseason

Only way you keep both is if you trade Nylander IMHO.

If you keep Nylander, both are likely gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad