Confirmed with Link: Kapanen scratched for internal accountability

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Rightfully so. Babcock was the wrong man for this team. We literally have a whip smart stats geek building the team and a coach that considered +/-, the fluke stat, for analysis!

Blaming Babcock for everything also let’s everyone else off the hook. Babcock was coach when Kadri was suspended for off ice issues. For all the complaints about Babcock’s behaviour are we seriously going to believe he was fine with people being late?

Sounds like Kapanen was late again and they had enough, I’m sure Ottawa being the opponent made it easier.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end a poor move by Kapanen and now it's time to get back to work. While having media attention over something like this sucks, the benefits cover for it.

Regardless of this he's a guy we need to count on to do his part on the ice. And he's a player that is a pretty obvious trade chip if we want to improve other areas. Hopefully he just doesn't mess up again.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Blaming Babcock for everything also let’s everyone else off the hook. Babcock was coach when Kadri was suspended for off ice issues. For all the complaints about Babcock’s behaviour are we seriously going to believe he was fine with people being late?

Sounds like Kapanen was late again and they had enough, I’m sure Ottawa being the opponent made it easier.
I know these are not the same situations but last season not once did Babcock ever give any criticism to how Patrick Marleau played and right away at training camp this year he said to the media about what role Jason Spezza would want and if he wanted to be in Toronto. It was obvious that Marleau was one of his favorite players and wouldn't you say that's a double standard?

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
The real answer will come tonight.
If he’s contrite, he’ll be flying.
If he’s pissed off for the way he was held accountable, then he’ll be the usual disinterested third/fourth liner.
Just watch his body language.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Toronto Maple Leafs forward Kasperi Kapanen explains why he was scratched for Saturday’s game, says he slept in and was late for Friday’s practice, says he agrees with the team’s decision to sit him out, and is ready to prove it won’t happen again.

Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe addresses the Kasperi Kapanen scratching because the winger overslept and missed Friday's practice, says, "today's a new day" and Kapanen will play a lot and is a big part of our team.

Wow, definitely agree those were some stupid questions.

Toronto media should write a book on this,
How to Make a Bigger Deal out of a Small Incident, by THE MEDIA

I actually liked Kapanen's response to the last question about "reflecting on it" . . . as if some major shift in thinking was required, a drama was to be examined, etc . . . it put it right back where it should be, into the lap of the media guy who asked the stupid question. Well done, Kappy!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I know these are not the same situations but last season not once did Babcock ever give any criticism to how Patrick Marleau played and right away at training camp this year he said to the media about what role Jason Spezza would want and if he wanted to be in Toronto. It was obvious that Marleau was one of his favorite players and wouldn't you say that's a double standard?

What does that have to do with suggesting suddenly Babcock didn't care about players being late though? I don't know if it was a double standard, I think his issues with Spezza has nothing to do with Spezza and everything to do with how he wanted the team built vs how Dubas did. Babcock and Dubas viewing the game differently created a lot of these problems.

Spezza was just caught in the middle.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What does that have to do with suggesting suddenly Babcock didn't care about players being late though? I don't know if it was a double standard, I think his issues with Spezza has nothing to do with Spezza and everything to do with how he wanted the team built vs how Dubas did. Babcock and Dubas viewing the game differently created a lot of these problems.

Spezza was just caught in the middle.
Since Marleau is actually older than Spezza when I first heard Babcock's comments about him at training camp I was surprised and I said to myself why is Babcock calling him out to the media and not once did he complain about Marleau's play, because last season he wasn't playing that well in a lot of games.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Since Marleau is actually older than Spezza when I first heard Babcock's comments about him at training camp I was surprised and I said to myself why is Babcock calling him out to the media and not once did he complain about Marleau's play, because last season he wasn't playing that well in a lot of games.

Babcock wanted a tough, big 4th line. Spezza didn't really fit the bill. I'll be honest I'm torn on this a little. I've defended Spezza a lot, was frustrated with him being benched and the optics it sends to other UFA's we need at discounts to succeed. I think Dubas see's where the game is going, but once the playoffs start at least this year the whistles go away and people start taking liberties. Babcock was trying to build a team that can win in how the playoffs work now, and I think his style at least right now is more likely to be more successful.

Now the icetime for our stars, the line combo's, mind games and stubborness are all completely disqualifying, but I do worry his vision of the team at least for now is more successful in playoff hockey.

If that makes sense?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Very elementary. Babs recruited Marleau. Babs did not recruit Spezza. It really is that simple.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017

I agree with this line of thinking which is why I don't necessarily disagree with the media pushing him a little on it. He said a lot with what he said. He has MISSED or been late to practices dating back to his Marlies days. He has taken steps back this year in terms of overall play and its probable that they have identified off ice issue as being directly responsible. The late for practice is probably the part we hear about, but the real meat of it is likely still behind closed doors where it should be.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That reminds me of how Babcock wanted Noah Hanifin in the 2015 draft instead of Marner and of all the players he asks Marner to make that list in his rookie season.
Yep he did not want to have to deal with Paul. But he did hit with Mik. But he missed with OZ. No one is going to get every recruit right. But I prefer Dubie making the picks (Sandin) than Babs. Babs should have just stuck to coaching. But BOD deserves some of blame here too as a coach should never be hired by people 3 levels up. Who knows exactly what Babs agreed on with his deal but the way I heard it. He had a significant say in players recruited. That really puts the GM in a bad spot. and it puts the president in a bad spot too.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I sleep like I'm 6ft in the grave. Missed a couple of things that we very important last year because my phone alarm straight up did not wake me up. So I bought myself an alarm clock that sounds like a klaxon. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do :laugh:

Yup I oversleep all the time, but I'm not in the public being paid millions.

I think he gets it, but it's not a big deal either way right now.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Kid got called out for being a rich 23 year old kid, doing what I suspect most 23 yr olds get caught doing...enjoying their lives in ways most of us cannot imagine. Now he has to deal with the consequences of being a 'celebrity' in this market - som nam na - the thai way of saying your bed, sleep in it.

He explained himself well, didn't dodge, didn't allow it to become a sh*t show, move on and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thank god I didn't have a squad of cameras and mics thrust into my questionable decisions. I'd be a wreck and there'd be a camera/mic or two trashed in my futile attempt to protect myself.

"Hey you wanna play in Toronto?"

"you mean that market with the f***ing annoying media? f*** no."

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yep he did not want to have to deal with Paul. But he did hit with Mik. But he missed with OZ. No one is going to get every recruit right. But I prefer Dubie making the picks (Sandin) than Babs. Babs should have just stuck to coaching. But BOD deserves some of blame here too as a coach should never be hired by people 3 levels up. Who knows exactly what Babs agreed on with his deal but the way I heard it. He had a significant say in players recruited. That really puts the GM in a bad spot. and it puts the president in a bad spot too.

Had Lou remained GM I doubt we have this issue, now we would have other issues but part of this is because we changed GM's and didn't do a good job of getting them on the same page.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wow, definitely agree those were some stupid questions.

Toronto media should write a book on this,
How to Make a Bigger Deal out of a Small Incident, by THE MEDIA

I actually liked Kapanen's response to the last question about "reflecting on it" . . . as if some major shift in thinking was required, a drama was to be examined, etc . . . it put it right back where it should be, into the lap of the media guy who asked the stupid question. Well done, Kappy!

I see nothing wrong with the questions asked. To me, it seems like lateness is an ongoing issue for Kapanen. So, it makes sense to ask him if he took time to thing about the situation -- or more accurately, to think about how he was going to deal with the problem. And what's wrong with the "Why not?" follow up to the question about whether he thinks this will hurt his standing with the team.

To be honest, if I'm the Leafs, I'm not happy at all with Kapanen's responses. I think the Leafs put him out there to explain the situation because they wanted him to really own responsibility for what happened. And I don't think he did that. If I was Dubas, Kapanen would jump to the top of the list of Leafs available in a trade. But that's me.

Reactions: LeafsRus

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Maybe it's not the lateness itself but what he's doing that keeps making him late ala ....
Dubass and Keefe : what are you doing that keeps making you late ?
Kappy : tag teaming your moms !

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Maybe it's not the lateness itself but what he's doing that keeps making him late ala ....
Dubass and Keefe : what are you doing that keeps making you late ?
Kappy : tag teaming your moms !
Stop Typing Shoresy

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Imagine being late for work and then put on blast on national TV/Twitter for it :laugh::thumbd:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs' Kasperi Kapanen skating towards thin ice after oversleeping - Sportsnet.ca
That back-and-forth was about as awkward as you might expect, with Kapanen veering from emotional to combative while fielding multiple questions on his tardiness.

“Listen guys if you guys want to talk about hockey I’m all for it,” he said at one point. “So talk about today or the future, that’s fine. But I overslept and that’s that.”

Except the entire situation hardly feels open and shut.

For starters, there was really no unified front or consistent messaging on how things escalated to this point.

Kapanen’s very public punishment is obviously the cumulative result of previous transgressions, but it’s not clear what those were — with the player copping to having “missed or been late to practice a couple times” during his days in the American Hockey League and Keefe, his former Marlies coach, saying he had no recollection of that happening.

Instead, Keefe pointed to previous incidents involving Kapanen in the NHL both during his time behind the Leafs bench and before he succeeded Mike Babcock in the role.

“I think we’re a pretty forgiving place when things happen,” Keefe said. “Things happen all the time. When there’s a pattern of things that haven’t corrected themselves then you have to do something a little bit outside of what you normally would do.”

The Leafs coach wouldn’t reveal what time Kapanen was supposed to report for practice Friday, but it couldn’t have been too onerous — especially since the team was coming off a travel day home from Dallas. They were scheduled to take the ice at noon and players typically arrive at the practice rink no later than an hour before then.
For it’s not the scratch alone that tells us Kapanen is skating towards thin ice here, but the way his bosses left him to clean up the mess he made.

“I’m a grown man and I know what I did was wrong,” he said before Monday’s game against Florida. “I’ve just got to live up to it, and just forget about it, and just get back at it.”

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Well Dubas did like Provorov and considered trading down to 8 with CBJ, but anyway...

Paul Marner had nothing to do with Babcock preferring Hanifin then. He wanted to build the defence out like what most championship teams have. He didn't know too much about Rielly or Gardiner at the time either. Ultimately Hunter went with his own convictions and picked Marner.

Also Jim Paliafito is guy you're not mentioning when it comes to recruiting. He was pretty tight with Babcock because as a reference from earlier in the year, Babcock supposedly had already talked with Okulov of CSKA before being dismissed. But he's the guy doing the leg work on those European signings. Even Moore as well.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad