Confirmed with Link: Kapanen scratched for internal accountability

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
If I had a gf like his, I'd be late too to every practice. Nom saying?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If I had a gf like his, I'd be late too to every practice. Nom saying?
The guy clearly has some off ice issues. Fairly certain he had "private" photos of him and his ex leak online a few years ago (not sure who leaked them) and then this past fall his current girlfriend outed him on Instagram for being shady after he was spotted courtside at a Raptors game with another girl, and now they appear to be back together. Maybe they broke up again.

He just clearly has an attraction to drama, whether it's his fault or not I don't know.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Vaaaaat

Oct 5, 2019
2dnk97.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The guy clearly has some off ice issues. Fairly certain he had "private" photos of him and his ex leak online a few years ago (not sure who leaked them) and then this past fall his current girlfriend outed him on Instagram for being shady after he was spotted courtside at a Raptors game with another girl, and now they appear to be back together. Maybe they broke up again.

He just clearly has an attraction to drama, whether it's his fault or not I don't know.

Kapanen sure has a young millionaire off ice image.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It'll be interesting to see what this is about.

Kapanen has been visibly frustrated lately. Don't know if it's because of not getting the opportunity he hoped for, the trade rumors, or the season simply not going very well for him. I could see how it might have caused him to lash out and do something stupid.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It'll be interesting to see what this is about.

Kapanen has been visibly frustrated lately. Don't know if it's because of not getting the opportunity he hoped for, the trade rumors, or the season simply not going very well for him. I could see how it might have caused him to lash out and do something stupid.
Tonight's the night sire for certainly. We will see what's what who's who. That that Shakespeare right thurr sire. Kapanen might be in big trouble if not saying the correct thing. We are all waiting and ready, pushing buttons and moving things.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This is the kind of circumstances that has many possible roads.

For all we know it was an action that he and the team had sat down and discussed and came to an agreement on which he then broke, OR maybe it was one of the suggestions that other posters have presented in this thread. Not sure it really matters though some posters certainly get off on the drama of it. Good for them.

What many people find distasteful in these settings is the labeling of other people that some posters do whether it be the player or other posters.

What kind of weak person does it take to call someone a 'boomer' or a 'millennial' while trying to have a mature conversation? :cheesy:

Reactions: the squared circle

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Monday Morning Leafs Report: Sending a message to Kasperi...

Then-general manager Dave Nonis was on a scouting trip at the time, which left it up to Brendan Shanahan to explain why the Maple Leafs were unexpectedly suspending Nazem Kadri for three games.

The Maple Leafs president said it wasn’t just a case of Kadri, then 24, being 15 minutes late to practice one time.

“Sweeping this under the rug would have been the easiest, but probably the weakest move for us,” Shanahan said sternly. “If this was a one-time thing, yeah, you’d love to handle this internally, have him take the guys to lunch, pay a fine, donate some money to charity, something like that, but this is a moment where a player has to look in the mirror and make some decisions.”

Almost five years later, the Leafs appear to be sending a similar message to 23-year-old Kasperi Kapanen.

Kapanen didn’t play over the weekend against the Ottawa Senators and the Leafs declined to explain why. All Sheldon Keefe would tell reporters after a 2-1 overtime win was that Kapanen had been scratched for “internal accountability.”

The Leafs coach wouldn’t say what that meant. Kapanen would have to do that himself on Monday morning before the team took on the Florida Panthers.

Just as they could have kept things quiet with Kadri, the organization could have easily swept the situation with Kapanen under the rug. Not doing so, and going so far as to have Kapanen step in front of a pack of cameras and microphones to explain his infraction, suggests the Leafs want to teach Kapanen a lesson as well. Otherwise, why not handle the matter internally?

Back in 2015, Shanahan said the Leafs were urging Kadri to “grow up” in keeping him out of the lineup, and Kadri responded the following season, playing on a one-year, make-or-break contract, by leading the team in scoring. That earned him a six-year deal and he evolved into a dependable player — save for two notable on-ice instances in the postseason.

“There’s a maturing process that happens for all NHL players,” Shanahan said of the Kadri situation in March, 2015. “We need this to be a real learning moment. It’s something that has happened to me in my career. It’s something that has happened to a lot of players. It’s really how you respond to it that’s important to us. We didn’t think it would help him or our team or our organization if we didn’t address it in a firm way.”

Kapanen’s explanation, or apology, on Monday won’t really be the point.

Making him get up there at all — not burying this away — says everything.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Not sure what this Kapanen thing is about, but one thing I do know.....the guy has "personality"! That's mostly a good thing, but, I guess, may result in the occasional controversy. I remember hearing somewhere (radio?) that he gave a slideshow presentation to a big crowd in the summer. I can't remember what it was....Leafs PR? Wedding? I just know that there were hockey media types in the audience. Anyway, the guy was dropping f-bombs every other word. LOL

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
That was a great reminder of the Kadri internal suspension, and how well it turned out for both him and for us.

These guys have a ton of skill and talent, but it must be tough to keep the discipline and focus when everything is being thrown at you (money, celebrity, women...). So it's good to have a not-too-gentle reminder that it still depends on working hard and continuing to improve - because that's what your competition is doing, every day.

Whatever it was, we should find out pretty soon.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well looks like he isn’t on the trade block.

why would you make a big story of a guy you are about to trade. Makes no sense

Reactions: leburn98 and Eb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Photos? Man, forget the photos.. the videos are more incriminating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad