Confirmed with Link: Kapanen scratched for internal accountability

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I guess he will think twice about oversleeping and going through this line of questioning in the future.

This experience will not be lost on all the players I hope.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'm always glad when the Leafs organisation shows internal accountability of this nature.
Obviously, it's a professional league, and you can only truly do this with guys of Kapanen's stature and lower, nearly suicide to do it with any stars on the team . . . but still, it sends all the right messages, and usually works for the player.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Not a big deal but I don't love his response to questions this morning. The team clearly wanted him to answer questions about it, otherwise they would have just explained the situation on Saturday.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He seems a little uncomfortable talking about it. I have never seen him being testy with the media like that before.
They got their scoop. Now just play. Being late all the time gets called out every time. Put on yer big girl panties and go play ;)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The guy clearly has some off ice issues. Fairly certain he had "private" photos of him and his ex leak online a few years ago (not sure who leaked them) and then this past fall his current girlfriend outed him on Instagram for being shady after he was spotted courtside at a Raptors game with another girl, and now they appear to be back together. Maybe they broke up again.
He just clearly has an attraction to drama, whether it's his fault or not I don't know.

Wow that's crazy. Someone should interview him and ask what it's like to be the first 23yo dude to be on again, off again with a girlfriend.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I guess he will think twice about oversleeping and going through this line of questioning in the future.

This experience will not be lost on all the players I hope.

I sleep like I'm 6ft in the grave. Missed a couple of things that we very important last year because my phone alarm straight up did not wake me up. So I bought myself an alarm clock that sounds like a klaxon. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do :laugh:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Keefe even said it's not a big thing. Hopefully Kapanen has a big game tonight and he can put this behind him.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Good, no big deal. Won on saturday all that matters. Now he's back and we need this W tonight against a team that will be super hungry

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not a big deal but I don't love his response to questions this morning. The team clearly wanted him to answer questions about it, otherwise they would have just explained the situation on Saturday.

Yup, think of the punishment if he'd done something really irresponsible, like drunkenly dropping his pants while hassling a security guard in the middle of the night.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs forward Kasperi Kapanen explains why he was scratched for Saturday’s game, says he slept in and was late for Friday’s practice, says he agrees with the team’s decision to sit him out, and is ready to prove it won’t happen again.

Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe addresses the Kasperi Kapanen scratching because the winger overslept and missed Friday's practice, says, "today's a new day" and Kapanen will play a lot and is a big part of our team.

Reactions: slozo and meefer

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
"Do you feel this could hurt your standing with the organization?"

No...

"why not?"

troll-face-jeffrey-wong.jpg

Is this seriously what passes as journalism these days? And where is media protection from that kind of nonsense?

Kapp shouldn't have had to shut that down, someone else should have.

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada

No...

"why not?"

Is this seriously what passes as journalism these days? And where is media protection from that kind of nonsense?

Don't worry, I'm sure Feschuck is already working on the deep dive.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Kid got called out for being a rich 23 year old kid, doing what I suspect most 23 yr olds get caught doing...enjoying their lives in ways most of us cannot imagine. Now he has to deal with the consequences of being a 'celebrity' in this market - som nam na - the thai way of saying your bed, sleep in it.

He explained himself well, didn't dodge, didn't allow it to become a sh*t show, move on and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thank god I didn't have a squad of cameras and mics thrust into my questionable decisions. I'd be a wreck and there'd be a camera/mic or two trashed in my futile attempt to protect myself.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Wow that's crazy. Someone should interview him and ask what it's like to be the first 23yo dude to be on again, off again with a girlfriend.
That's not really what I said, and there's a difference with you or I having an issue with a girlfriend vs. having two different people posting shit online and outing you to the masses when you play for the most popular hockey team in the world. To me it speaks to larger issues, but that might just be me.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
No big deal. Hopefully, this incident will light a fire under his butt.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Yup, everything ends up being a criticism of Babcock. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Rightfully so. Babcock was the wrong man for this team. We literally have a whip smart stats geek building the team and a coach that considered +/-, the fluke stat, for analysis!

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

No...

"why not?"

We need you there to rough them up when they get out of line, champ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad