Kane suspension? UPD 3 games per rule 40.4

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
And Kane put a lot more force into this official than Kassian or Nolan did. I still haven’t seen an example of a player doing something similar to what Kane did without any repercussions.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Kane literally barely touched the official. His shove was no harder, and made probably less contact than Kassians. The linesman's take down on Kane was a far more physical act than Kane's shove imo. I'm not arguing whether Kane should have been disciplined or not, just the physicality, or lack there of, in his shove.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
The NHL has no requirement to release a statement about what, if any, punishment the linesman received. For all we know he was warned/disciplined/w.e and the league isn't going to state anything.

It's not like the ref punched him in the face. He grabbed his jersey (happens every game) and sort of jostled him which caused them to both lose their balance and fall over. Get over it and move on

No shot. I'm on record saying both the official and Kanes acts were pretty soft and over blown, but zero chance that official wasnt trying to take him down.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I find it funny that Buster is beloved in San Jose but Kane needs to keep his emotions in check.
Nolan was always my favorite. I love Kane for the same reasons. Yes it is "funny" that one is loved like a folk hero and the other is reviled... I wonder why that could be? :help:

Owen Nolan was dirty as hell. Great player and teammate, but intentionally hurt players multiple times and made management's life hell. Kane is tame in comparison.
Yup. Talk about losing their shit in games... Thing about Nolan though was he so strong and such a hard, quick puncher he did real damage to faces when he was going crazy.

Good. He should tweet about racism in the NHL more and show white players doing the same or similar without suspension and make this suspension uncomfortable for Bettman. f*** them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu and Saskatoon

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
While young at the time, I was more of a fan of Damphousse than Nolan. Loved Marchment however.

That being said, let me put it another way, Kane needs to not get baited by talentless hacks like Reaves and Engelland. He's shown he can throw with legitimate heavyweights including those two. If he wants to fight Pacioretty or Tuch, fine. But if he's on the ice with either of those guys, I want him focusing on trying to score, because Vegas needs to be afraid to put them out against Hertl and Kane, because they're either taking a penalty, or giving up a quality chance.

Does that make sense?
You say that yet you do realize he tried to skate away from Engelland twice right? Engellend followed him chirpping and hacking at him. I know it flies in the face of your narrative but that's what happens in the video.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
You say that yet you do realize he tried to skate away from Engelland twice right? Engellend followed him chirpping and hacking at him. I know it flies in the face of your narrative but that's what happens in the video.

Well three times actually, not that it matters.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The NHL has no requirement to release a statement about what, if any, punishment the linesman received. For all we know he was warned/disciplined/w.e and the league isn't going to state anything.

It's not like the ref punched him in the face. He grabbed his jersey (happens every game) and sort of jostled him which caused them to both lose their balance and fall over. Get over it and move on
Nothing worse than someone coming into a thread and telling people to get over it.

Don't want to read about it? Ignore the thread.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Hell, he was playing hockey when the refs and league let Reaves do the same thing to him that they suspended John Scott for doing to Tim Jackman a few years prior. Reaves came off the bench and made no attempt to actually play hockey.

The league picks and chooses when rules apply.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Nolan was always my favorite. I love Kane for the same reasons. Yes it is "funny" that one is loved like a folk hero and the other is reviled... I wonder why that could be? :help:

Nolan was the best player on those teams and the captain

Kane is the 6th best player on this team and isn't entrenched in the leadership group

What they do/did for their respective squads isn't comparable

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I find it funny that Buster is beloved in San Jose but Kane needs to keep his emotions in check.

Different era, and Nolan helped the Sharks win games. His emotions helped the Sharks win games (and Nolan provided clutch scoring several times), while so far, Kane’s emotions have only hurt his game and hurt the Sharks.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Well three times actually, not that it matters.
It really doesn't. Truly a pointless post.:huh:
Nothing worse than someone coming into a thread and telling people to get over it.

Don't want to read about it? Ignore the thread.
Beautiful.:thumbu:
Nolan was the best player on those teams and the captain

Kane is the 6th best player on this team and isn't entrenched in the leadership group

What they do/did for their respective squads isn't comparable

That's what you took from my comment? So you made your own straw man comparison that has nothing to do with their play style characteristics or the reasons I compared them just so you could be contrarian. Nice...o_O
Different era, and Nolan helped the Sharks win games. His emotions helped the Sharks win games (and Nolan provided clutch scoring several times), while so far, Kane’s emotions have only hurt his game and hurt the Sharks.
As much as I loved Nolan he really only had a couple good years offensively and had a couple season where he more known for hitting posts than scoring goals. He did have a few playoff games where he was great but he was almost never that one great player that put a team on his back. His reputation as a leader is also questionable based on stories after he left. Even DW once said he would never have named him captain. You've glamorized his memory and forgotten all the times he put himself in the box for dumshit. As much as we all loved the hit on Belfour it was hot headed and didn't inspire the team to anything. Also taking him self out for 11 games for that brutal hot headed cheap shot didn't help anyone. He was great at punching people in the face though and most of the time he played hard and hit hard.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
That's what you took from my comment? So you made your own straw man comparison that has nothing to do with their play style characteristics or the reasons I compared them just so you could be contrarian. Nice...o_O

Strawman? I'm not sure that really applies

You asked why Nolan was beloved and Kane gets criticized and made the easy and obvious implication

The real difference is the context of the teams they play for

Nolan was "the guy" on those teams, he was the one bringing us to the playoffs regularly

Kane is "one of the guys" on this team, he's not the one leading the charge, he's a supplemental piece

I'm not pointing out the differences to be contrarian, I'm pointing out the differences to show there are material differences between the impact these two players have made and not everyone who liked Nolan but has problems with Kane is just some hatemonger

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

I’m sensing people are thinking I’m a Kane hater. Not the case, I’m a huge fan! He’s very talented, and has work ethic, while being one bad mother. He brings even strength scoring, good penalty killing, loads of physicality, and I generally find his antics amusing . His raise the roof moment in the pk box is second only to the 5-minute major of my favorite moments last year.

I agree with you that he tried to avoid Engelland. I also buy (though not to the degree Kane does) that Vegas consistently gets away with shit (in general, and particularly when he is the target). That said, as our primary hot head, and one who is pretty outspoken about the problems in the league, he’s got a massive target on his back. If he engages with those two there is no winning. I suppose there’s a chance the team gets a huge boost from him fighting those two, but best case we have a far less talented forward group then Vegas for 5 minutes. Worse case, he ends up doing something borderline and gets a suspension. Worst case, he breaks a hand (or orbital bone) and he’s out for a bunch of games/less effective.

We need Evander Kane playing hockey, because when he’s on, he’s damn good at it. He’s yet to be on against our primary rival. That’s my only problem with him.

Also, some of the blame falls to Wilson. When you lack toughness in your 4th line and bottom pairing Dman, your going to end up relying on Kane. I don’t want Haley, but there are quality 4th liners who can keep Reaves in check, while not being a catastrophe on ice. Go get one.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Hell, he was playing hockey when the refs and league let Reaves do the same thing to him that they suspended John Scott for doing to Tim Jackman a few years prior. Reaves came off the bench and made no attempt to actually play hockey.

The league picks and chooses when rules apply.

The inconsistency is a crime. I’ve never bought into conspiracy theories and long thought that all teams get tough breaks. That being said, the complete lack of head hit suspensions against the sharks (when there were several against SJ in the playoffs alone last year), is concerning.

I feel like there’s was a time that SJ got away with suspension worthy plays from time to time, when was the last time we were like ‘might be’ and it didn’t result in a suspension?

Demers’ ref punch?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's probably gonna be really bad this year. We have a few undisciplined players and a player who just called out the refs for like the 3rd year in a row and we made them look terrible in all 3 rounds of the playoffs. I could see the refs giving zero lenience towards the Sharks this year.

Reactions: goflyakite

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It really doesn't. Truly a pointless post.:huh:

Beautiful.:thumbu:

As much as I loved Nolan he really only had a couple good years offensively and had a couple season where he more known for hitting posts than scoring goals. He did have a few playoff games where he was great but he was almost never that one great player that put a team on his back. His reputation as a leader is also questionable based on stories after he left. Even DW once said he would never have named him captain. You've glamorized his memory and forgotten all the times he put himself in the box for dum****. As much as we all loved the hit on Belfour it was hot headed and didn't inspire the team to anything. Also taking him self out for 11 games for that brutal hot headed cheap shot didn't help anyone. He was great at punching people in the face though and most of the time he played hard and hit hard.

How is that a straw man comparison? You specifically said that you wondered why Nolan is viewed in a different light than Kane is, and put a question mark at the end of your pondering. The other poster responded by telling you exactly why Nolan is viewed in a different light, and it isn't for the reasons that you were implying.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Strawman? I'm not sure that really applies

You asked why Nolan was beloved and Kane gets criticized and made the easy and obvious implication

The real difference is the context of the teams they play for

Nolan was "the guy" on those teams, he was the one bringing us to the playoffs regularly

Kane is "one of the guys" on this team, he's not the one leading the charge, he's a supplemental piece

I'm not pointing out the differences to be contrarian, I'm pointing out the differences to show there are material differences between the impact these two players have made and not everyone who liked Nolan but has problems with Kane is just some hatemonger
Yeah I don't think that's the reason one is liked and the other isn't.
I’m sensing people are thinking I’m a Kane hater. Not the case, I’m a huge fan! He’s very talented, and has work ethic, while being one bad mother. He brings even strength scoring, good penalty killing, loads of physicality, and I generally find his antics amusing . His raise the roof moment in the pk box is second only to the 5-minute major of my favorite moments last year.

I agree with you that he tried to avoid Engelland. I also buy (though not to the degree Kane does) that Vegas consistently gets away with **** (in general, and particularly when he is the target). That said, as our primary hot head, and one who is pretty outspoken about the problems in the league, he’s got a massive target on his back. If he engages with those two there is no winning. I suppose there’s a chance the team gets a huge boost from him fighting those two, but best case we have a far less talented forward group then Vegas for 5 minutes. Worse case, he ends up doing something borderline and gets a suspension. Worst case, he breaks a hand (or orbital bone) and he’s out for a bunch of games/less effective.

We need Evander Kane playing hockey, because when he’s on, he’s damn good at it. He’s yet to be on against our primary rival. That’s my only problem with him.

Also, some of the blame falls to Wilson. When you lack toughness in your 4th line and bottom pairing Dman, your going to end up relying on Kane. I don’t want Haley, but there are quality 4th liners who can keep Reaves in check, while not being a catastrophe on ice. Go get one.
All of this is very fair. It's a lesson Nolan had to learn too and he became more effective once he learned to control his temper and stop kicking everyones ass.
Think of the drama if Kane is able to play tomorrow as the result of a successful appeal LOL
at the very least, twitter would crash...

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Yeah I don't think that's the reason one is liked and the other isn't.

Amongst fans at large I agree with you, there is an insidious factor to his detractors

Amongst Sharks fans I don't, we all want the team to win and for every player in teal to score a million points, there are simply aspects to his game that I and others find frustrating and/or disappointing

Owen Nolan is a folk hero, he wasn't an elite player, but was a quite good one who helped bring a young franchise an air of legitimacy

Kane joined after we had seen prime Thornton and Burns and had been to a final so the fans expectations are higher, if Owen Nolan played for the 2020 Sharks his antics might not be so adorable or admirable

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Owen Nolan is a folk hero, he wasn't an elite player, but was a quite good one who helped bring a young franchise an air of legitimacy

Kane joined after we had seen prime Thornton and Burns and had been to a final so the fans expectations are higher, if Owen Nolan played for the 2020 Sharks his antics might not be so adorable or admirable
Yup, I remember well. I played hockey with one of the Sharks sisters back then and her first comment when Nolan was traded to the Sharks was that now they had their first "real" hockey player. She was Canadian though so not partial to the euro players that led the team prior to that. Nolan would have likely been far worse than Kane as far as suspensions with some of the cheap shots he laid out. With Kane I think it'll all mellow out once he and his wife have their first kid. It's the one thing I've consistently seen take the edge off players like that.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
LOL love the drama

I really wish we had won the cup last year (for every reason imaginable) so we could shove it down Vegas' throat. They're really winning in every aspect of the rivalry except that we won the series last year (which really doesnt mean much since neither team won the cup). It's all fun and entertaining, just want the sharks to come out on top

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad