Kane suspension? UPD 3 games per rule 40.4

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I really wish we had won the cup last year (for every reason imaginable) so we could shove it down Vegas' throat. They're really winning in every aspect of the rivalry except that we won the series last year (which really doesnt mean much since neither team won the cup). It's all fun and entertaining, just want the sharks to come out on top

Yeah IDK I don't actually think vegas is that good. I think they line up really really well against us though.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
It's probably gonna be really bad this year. We have a few undisciplined players and a player who just called out the refs for like the 3rd year in a row and we made them look terrible in all 3 rounds of the playoffs. I could see the refs giving zero lenience towards the Sharks this year.
I'd reallyyyy like to think officials are more professional than that...but I fear you may be right.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
DW's gotta get 2 top 6 fwds because we can't count on Kane's availability. He'll probably attack Reaves in the hallway WWE style and get suspended for the season.

Why are we such basket cases when it comes to Vegas? It's not just Kane. Jones has gotten pulled in like half the games against Vegas. Even though we got reverse swept against LA that was a pretty even rivalry and we actually dominated some parts of it. We have not dominated anything against Vegas. It's such a one sided "rivalry" it's not even funny.

McDeez

Feb 8, 2007
San Jose
Screenshot_20191001-230803~2.png

Kane posted this, then deleted it. LOL

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Yeah IDK I don't actually think vegas is that good. I think they line up really really well against us though.

Yea that's what i mean. They blow us out a lot, clearly have space in our heads, Reaves is winning the battle with Kane, etc.

How they play against us / how we play against them is not equal to how they/we play against the rest of the league. It's really insulated.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
man, i want to like this. close games between the Sharks and Knights seem few and far between.

Regular season all time
g__w__L_____OL____________________GF__GA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Interesting notes:
- 21 games reg season and playoffs
- Sharks have won 9
- 7 have gone to overtime
- 6-7 in the playoffs, both teams won a series.

It really hasn't been that long. They have more games in the playoffs against each other than regular season. That's why so bitter. Since the year turned to 2019, the Sharks have been the better team. Knights have a few big wins where goaltending was the issue, other than that the Sharks have been winning. It was all Vegas first season when they took the league by storm when the Sharks got their asses handed to them. Other than that the majority of games have been close. Wins and losses are what counts. Blow outs don't count more than one goal wins and preseason blow outs mean less than shit. Let see how it turns out after their 4 regular season games against each other this season. I think they split these first 2 even without Kane. Each team wins on home ice. When the Sharks play defense and get something less than shitty goaltending, they beat the Knights.

Reactions: landshark

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They're really winning in every aspect of the rivalry

This is only true because Vegas fans are in such denial of how badly they choked against us last year, it's kind of adorable, they cling to a single call and ignore that they had 3 straight games to close us out and imploded on the PK in a way that literally only happened once before in history

That also was and always will be the first Game 7 in VGK history, and we ruined it for them, we've done more damage to their franchise than they have to ours

Sure they beat us once, but we humiliated them once, I think we're winning

Reactions: goflyakite

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yea that's what i mean. They blow us out a lot, clearly have space in our heads, Reaves is winning the battle with Kane, etc.

How they play against us / how we play against them is not equal to how they/we play against the rest of the league. It's really insulated.
It's a good example of regular season sharks vs playoff sharks :sarcasm:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
What the hell does that have to do with this? Do you really have nothing of merit to say in response that you have to straw man?
Ok in response to your original quote. How was there nothing for Kane to learn from this? He's been suspended twice now against Vegas with over 120 penalty minutes and 0 goals...he is paid $7m a year to be a goal scorer not to get his undies in a ruffle because a 4th line plug like engllend or Reaves is chirping him and hurting his little feelings.

I'd say he should probably learn to keep his cool and do what he is paid to do (play top 6 minutes and score goals to help the team win) not get into pissing matches with guys who play 9 to 10 minutes a game, get in fights and thrown out of the game.

But maybe his role on the team is different than I thought and he is meant to be paid $7m a year to get his ass kicked by Reaves over shitty chirps while taking up cap space that could be otherwise spent on people that score goals which this team desperately needs

Edit: maybe I'm the only one here who is tired of watching this team get destroyed every time we play Vegas because we can't seem to ignore their irrelevant players and instead try to goon it up without any actual goons.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ok in response to your original quote. How was there nothing for Kane to learn from this? He's been suspended twice now against Vegas with over 120 penalty minutes and 0 goals...he is paid $7m a year to be a goal scorer not to get his undies in a ruffle because a 4th line plug like engllend or Reaves is chirping him and hurting his little feelings.

I'd say he should probably learn to keep his cool and do what he is paid to do (play top 6 minutes and score goals to help the team win) not get into pissing matches with guys who play 9 to 10 minutes a game, get in fights and thrown out of the game.

But maybe his role on the team is different than I thought and he is meant to be paid $7m a year to get his ass kicked by Reaves over ****ty chirps while taking up cap space that could be otherwise spent on people that score goals which this team desperately needs

Edit: maybe I'm the only one here who is tired of watching this team get destroyed every time we play Vegas because we can't seem to ignore their irrelevant players and instead try to goon it up without any actual goons.

He didn't get suspended because Vegas riled him up. That's just the narrative you want to run with because you're over Kane. That's fine but that narrative isn't what happened here. Missing the first three games of the season is meaningless outside of the salary he will lose. This team loses to Vegas for more than just whatever you think Kane's part in it is. This team loses to Vegas because they turn it over and don't play defense. That's the bottom line.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
He didn't get suspended because Vegas riled him up. That's just the narrative you want to run with because you're over Kane. That's fine but that narrative isn't what happened here. Missing the first three games of the season is meaningless outside of the salary he will lose. This team loses to Vegas for more than just whatever you think Kane's part in it is. This team loses to Vegas because they turn it over and don't play defense. That's the bottom line.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Kane has an impact on the way the team plays because all the antics after the whistle leads to the team focusing more on hits/trash talking/running around than they are on sticking to playing good defense (this isn't just a Kane issue, others on the team seem to get into it with Vegas too). Once they lose focus, Vegas counter attacks and scores. You apparently have a different opinion but I don't see San Jose getting into these line brawls or constant after the whistle chirping against any other team except for Vegas who just happens to be the team that for whatever reason forces us to make boneheaded defensive play after boneheaded defensive play. It's the same issue we had back in the day when we let LA goon it up and distract us. It's the same reason we beat the hell out of Anaheim all the time when Perry and Getzlaf go crazy and we all laugh at them because we get more PP's and score more. When you get top players off their game and focused on shit after the whistle, they don't score as much.

It's only natural that if you are more worried about running around and hitting guys than you are about your defensive assignment, you will probably get beat more often than not and give up a great scoring chance...something we love to do Vegas.

I'm not sure how you can argue that Vegas getting him riled up is not the reason he finds himself suspended a 2nd time. The first time was a cross check to the head of Bellemare (another 4th line plug) well after the whistle in which Kane went out of his way to engage him. Again, why is a top 6 scorer wasting his time or energy on a guy playing 10 minutes a game?

The 2nd suspension was at the end of a game where Kane had already fought one guy for no reason and then decided to go after Engllend who was taking a few shots at him. Ultimately he pushed a ref, but the ref pushed him 10% of the way to blowing a gasket after Engllend got him 90% of the way there. Kane would never even be engaged with the ref in the first place had he not taken a massive hack at Engllend because he was mad he got cross checked.

It's not meaningless when he is one of 4 good top 6 scorers we have on the team and he's missing 2 games against a division rival who we will be battling against to win the division. Everyone here seems to be so up in arms when we don't get home ice because we cant seem to win these "meaningless games". The team loses to Vegas for a variety of reasons, but I think we can all agree the team has better odds of winning a game when they have more top 6 scorers on the ice not less. Kane taking himself out of these 2 games means we have less goal scorers. Kane playing like he's a 3rd/4th line grinder against Vegas in general means we are playing with someone who is more focused on fighting than he is on scoring...only one of those things helps the team win games.

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
The Sharks pay Kane $7m/yr to be Kane, not to be a goal scorer. A huge part of his success is based on his engagement with the other team. Don't get it twisted though, chirping on twitter with Reaves is fun, nothing more. There are no feelings being hurt. I personally love the fact that he occasionally drops the gloves with a talentless goon like Reaves, zero intimidation. Personally I'd like to see Kane line up with Stone and pull a John Scott v Phil Kessel.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm way more worried about how Martin Jones plays against Vegas than the way Kane plays against them, that is far more concerning

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad