Player Discussion K'Andre Miller

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think it's true that Miller needs to be better for us (said so elsewhere) given what we expect and need from him and what we've invested in him, while also maintaining that he's our second best defender and overall a net positive.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think peak Miller for me was the 2022 playoff run. He was giving those early Marc Staal-era “human eraser” vibes. He was solid defensively and impenetrable on the rush, but his transition game was also solid.

The increased offensive output is nice, but I’d much prefer the two way, defensive-leaning version.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Miller runs all over the place. Trouba runs all over the place.

Put them together and that spells disaster.

Miller needs a steady sound positional partner. I'd rather try and trade for one of those than trade Miller.

Trouba needs to go.

What you are kind of saying is, that Miller needs a dedicated babysitter to cover for his mistakes instead of having 2 Dmen on the ice that create movement requiring both to be defensively responsible........ That's like...... duct taping the hole in the boat.

People want to pair him with Fox... why? So Fox can spend more time covering for KAM and staying back instead of focusing on transition?

I am still hoping Jones can turn into a top 4. I see him and Schneider as possibly being a good future pair. I dont have much faith in KAM. Del Zotto was a good compare. And I expect Schneider to replace Trouba when Troubas contract is up. Their top 2 RD are set going forward. Jut gotta work out those LD spots. Right now, his athleticism saves him from a TON Of errors. And we've seen what happens to guys who depend too much on their athleticism and youth. Ie PK Subban, who was miles better than KAM by this point.

Last edited:

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
What you are kind of saying is, that Miller needs a dedicated babysitter to cover for his mistakes instead of having 2 Dmen on the ice that create movement requiring both to be defensively responsible........ That's like...... duct taping the hole in the boat.

People want to pair him with Fox... why? So Fox can spend more time covering for KAM and staying back instead of focusing on transition?

I am still hoping Jones can turn into a top 4. I see him and Schneider as possibly being a good future pair. I dont have much faith in KAM. Del Zotto was a good compare. And I expect Schneider to replace Trouba when Troubas contract is up. Their top 2 RD are set going forward. Jut gotta work out those LD spots. Right now, his athleticism saves him from a TON Of errors. And we've seen what happens to guys who depend too much on their athleticism and youth. Ie PK Subban, who was miles better than KAM by this point.
Yes, Miller will never be a good defensive D. He needs a stay at home D to play with.

Rangers have to decide if it's worth it to see if he can develop into a really good offensive player who's level of D that will never be great but acceptable.

If not move him to forward or trade him.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
As long as KAM remains on the right side of + / - then he's good with me. He's not the only one on this team that makes defensive mistakes. People having more faith in Schneider and Jones when KAM has had to play opposite of Trouba for his entire time here just seems funny to me. However, this is the same board that was fine with having Igor backup Quick. Funny indeed.

I actually like having another D that likes driving some of the offense other than Fox.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He's basically a slightly more offensive-minded Jay Bouwmeester without the hockey IQ.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Yes, Miller will never be a good defensive D. He needs a stay at home D to play with.

Rangers have to decide if it's worth it to see if he can develop into a really good offensive player who's level of D that will never be great but acceptable.

He was a forward years back and his coaches decided he'd make a better defenseman. Not sure reverting him would be the way to go here

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

100% . I would trade him now. I honestly dont think he will ever be worth more than his potential. So as soon as his potential disappears, thats it. Same thing that happened to Skjei. The opposite of what happened with Pionk and JT Miller. Damn I really wish we still had JT. I really hate our management sometimes. At least Laf looks like he might actually be a player.

Reactions: CasusBelli

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
How many D-men after the McDonagh era scored 40+ points that wasn't named Fox? And Kam's a career +52. And he's only 24. Yet you guys want to trade him and gamble with Schneider and Jones?? This is literally an LOL conversation.

Reactions: lordtrillson

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
How many D-men after the McDonagh era scored 40+ points that wasn't named Fox? And Kam's a career +52. And he's only 24. Yet you guys want to trade him and gamble with Schneider and Jones?? This is literally an LOL conversation.

I feel Miller is the type of player that you can get more value back based on potential. I would not give him away, but if Ducks asked him in a trade for Zegras, or Panthers asked him for Lundell, I would listen.

Reactions: tlk and ReddestRum

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I can see Miller being this inconsistent for most of his career, but just absolutely going off one or two years randomly and contending for/winning the Norris.

Think the view that we have the personnel internally to replace him is a bit ridiculous though.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023

Every year I look for some sort of improvement defense, offense, physicality. He has legitimately become worse in all three categories (maybe not physicality- he is the softest and weakest player in all situations I have ever seen in 35 years of watching hockey- period). He is beat wide, beat inside, beat through the middle multiple times a game and I am sick of people pretending he is not. Positioning is awful- generally clueless out there. Half the critiscms of Troubs are him coming over to cover for K.

I have decided this is who he is. Terrible defense, no heart/fire/physicality, and about average offense. Given how risky he plays, minutes, and how much allowance the coaches give him on offense- his points are actually pretty bad. 3rd or 4th on the team for defense any given night.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
K did it once. Lets not pretend that is usual for him bud. In fact he is third on our team right now, close to fourth, out of 6 defense on our team. Only ones outside of him are lindgren and schneider.

He isn’t projected to break 30 points this year- thats not good.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
K did it once. Lets not pretend that is usual for him bud. In fact he is third on our team right now, close to fourth, out of 6 defense on our team. Only ones outside of him are lindgren and schneider.

Btw…. Using +\- in this context is an lol take. The Rangers have been one of the best teams in the league - conpare him to the other Rangers- you will see his +\- is actually not great. Watch the games man

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 6.29.30 AM.png

31 points is breaking 30. It's not hard to fact check this stuff so I'd advise doing so instead of talking out of your ass.

He's played 3 years in the league (and only 2 of them were full seasons, his rookie year was the Covid shortened season.) He broke 40 points in one, he didn't in the other. Hard to say that something isn't the norm when half of his full seasons fit the bill. Hell he even has an outside shot of doing it again THIS year.

#1 and 2 on the team are guys who get a ton of PP time. At ES? He's 2nd on the team (a single point behind Fox which really goes to show you how much Lindgren has dragged him down this year.)

+/- isn't a good stat, but he's got 5 in the bag more than his partner (Trouba) despite playing more minutes 5v5 than anyone on the team.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
View attachment 828000

31 points is breaking 30. It's not hard to fact check this stuff so I'd advise doing so instead of talking out of your ass.

He's played 3 years in the league (and only 2 of them were full seasons, his rookie year was the Covid shortened season.) He broke 40 points in one, he didn't in the other. Hard to say that something isn't the norm when half of his full seasons fit the bill. Hell he even has an outside shot of doing it again THIS year.

#1 and 2 on the team are guys who get a ton of PP time. At ES? He's 2nd on the team (a single point behind Fox which really goes to show you how much Lindgren has dragged him down this year.)

+/- isn't a good stat, but he's got 5 in the bag more than his partner (Trouba) despite playing more minutes 5v5 than anyone on the team.

Careful.

Career shortcomings, whining about no PP time, and advanced stats on this board only apply to Laf and no one else. ;)

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He stood out last night.

Was all over the puck and made some really good defensive plays with his skating, reach and body.

Jumping up for the goal and a few other chances as well. Taking it to another level.

They are going to need this play from him as the games get more challenging.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
At some point we as fans need to ignore the trade whining. It gets insufferable when all you hear is trade Miller, trade Panarin, trade Igor. It's like some fans WANT us to end up in the dark ages.
i know we all collectively laugh it off like the ramblings of the village drunk but some of the stuff that gets posted by one particular member, who prefers abbreviating all names into a farrago of incoherence, is beyond the pale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad