Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If he has a solid year this year whaddya think?

5/6 @ 4M?

Too much, too little, too long?
Depends on the season he has of course. But if he continues on the pace he did last season and so far early this season I don't think you're getting him to sign a deal for that long at that price tag. You might be looking at that much on a 1 or 2 year bridge.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If he has a solid year this year whaddya think?

5/6 @ 4M?

Too much, too little, too long?

I don't see him signing that. My guess is that we'll see him bet on himself to continue this level of play to really get paid when the cap can start to maybe go up again in 2 or so years. Something like 2 x $4m and then try to get a 6+ year deal @$7m+. He'd be worth it too if he can produce 0.8-1.0 pts per game and be dogged on the forecheck.

To get him to sign long-term this off-season it would probably take $6m+, and we probably can't afford that in the short-term with the cap constraints.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't see him signing that. My guess is that we'll see him bet on himself to continue this level of play to really get paid when the cap can start to maybe go up again in 2 or so years. Something like 2 x $4m and then try to get a 6+ year deal @$7m+. He'd be worth it too if he can produce 0.8-1.0 pts per game and be dogged on the forecheck.

To get him to sign long-term this off-season it would probably take $6m+, and we probably can't afford that in the short-term with the cap constraints.
How about the old Oiler special.

6x6 right off an ELC.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
How about the old Oiler special.

6x6 right off an ELC.

He might be worth it, and he'd probably sign it. In a vacuum it would probably be a good deal, but cap constraints will play a big role and probably be prohibitive in him getting $6m right now.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He might be worth it, and he'd probably sign it. In a vacuum it would probably be a good deal, but cap constraints will play a big role and probably be prohibitive in him getting $6m right now.
With Larsson, Khaira, Chiasson, Sekera, Pouliot, and Smith money off the books this summer I think it more than covers Yamo.

Plus a potential Neal buyout and Klef on LTIR is another 8million?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
What cap constraints? We have room for that deal.

If we are looking to make the team better, there has to be considerations beyond just keeping what we already have. We're going to want to upgrade goaltending this summer I assume - at least a guy to compete with Koskinen next season. Maybe a d-man too. How do we do that if Yamamoto is making $5m more than last year?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
With Larsson, Khaira, Chiasson, Sekera, Pouliot, and Smith money off the books this summer I think it more than covers Yamo.

We're still going to be replacing Khaira and Chiasson with other bottom 6ers, I'd have to assume. And replacing Smith with a goalie to hopefully push Koskinen. There isn't as much extra money there as you think. We going to roll with 1 goalie and 11 forwards?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
We're still going to be replacing Khaira and Chiasson with other bottom 6ers, I'd have to assume. And replacing Smith with a goalie to hopefully push Koskinen. There isn't as much extra money there as you think. We going to roll with 1 goalie and 11 forwards?
Khaira @ 1.2
Chiasson @ 2.1
Larsson @ 4.1
Smith @ 1.5
Russell @ 4 (which drops to 1.25 for a gain of 2.75)
James Neal buyout would be what, 3.75?
Sekera @ 1.3
Pouliot @ 1.3
Possible Klef LTIR @ 4.1?
Ennis @ 1

That's almost 23 million in capspace. If Yamo gets 6x6 that leaves 17 million for a backup goalie, possibly a couple bottom six players and a potential RNH extension. Even if RNH got 7 that leaves 10 million.

If Bouchard replaces Barrie that's another 3.75 to take us back to 13.75 mil.

I don't think the team is as cap constrained as you think this summer

Reactions: ujju2

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Klefbom's LTIR is already in effect on our cap, so you're double-counting that.

I also don't think a Neal buyout would be a smart move at this stage, unless they can get an opportunity to acquire a player that is too good to pass up.

They'll have some wiggle room, especially if Bouchard replaces Larsson full-time, but they have to be smart about it.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Klefbom's LTIR is already in effect, so you're double-counting that.

I also don't think a Neal buyout would be a smart move at this stage, unless they can get an opportunity to acquire a player that is too good to pass up.
Fair enough. So instead of 22 million it's 18.

I'm just saying that if our costs to cover are a couple of bottom Sixers and a backup goalie, I feel like anything over 10 million should be more than enough to cover that. Any sort of internal growth in someone like Benson, Samorukov and McLeod also alleviates the need to spend on more.bottom Sixers

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Klefbom's LTIR is already in effect on our cap, so you're double-counting that.

They'll have some wiggle room, especially if Bouchard replaces Larsson full-time, but they have to be smart about it.

The time to buy out Neal is next summer. Only a two year buyout at just shy of 2 million at that point.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Nuge wants more than what he is already getting (which I think is too much), then I would move him. Can't drive his own line, and comes to play now and then. Only way I would consider keeping him, is if our coach decides to put him back on the DRY line, but it doesn't appear that's going to happen, as he keeps hammering square pegs into round holes, hoping they work.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The time to buy out Neal is next summer. Only a two year buyout at just shy of 2 million at that point.

That would definitely be the time to do it. Maybe we could even trade him with salary retention with 1 year left on the deal. $2m dead cap for 4 years would be worse than Pouliot's $1.33 x 4.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If Nuge wants more than what he is already getting (which I think is too much), then I would move him. Can't drive his own line, and comes to play now and then. Only way I would consider keeping him, is if our coach decides to put him back on the DRY line, but it doesn't appear that's going to happen, as he keeps hammering square pegs into round holes, hoping they work.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I'd be ok with a small raise - $7m as an absolute ceiling, even though I think his true value is a $5-6m player. If he wants more than $7m he can get lost. He might get $7m just because of his production with Draisaitl, but I think we all know deep-down that he's a secondary player and shouldn't be paid like a primary offensive weapon.

He is who he is at this point - smooth skater with a nice release and decent 2-way ability, but lacking the physical talent and fearlessness to be able to really manufacture scoring chances.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We're already buying out too many guys, wasting precious cap room. Foolishly getting rid of Sekera early is costing us now and for the next while. Looch on the books. Just finishing up with Pouliot (if you can believe it) If Neal continues to be proficient, I'd keep him for sure until his last year.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

He's at 6 points in 7 games, if he finishes this season at a point per game he'll have done that for about 120 games. He's not getting less than 6 million, and I don't think the Oilers can afford to lose him. McDavid and Draisaitl obviously have a huge impact on production, but you can't just throw garbage on that line and expect to get results like Nuge is getting. If he keeps it up (big if I know), I'm not sure you can be confident that plugging Hall into the same spot is an improvement, and you'll be paying more for that type of player.

You could say "well I'll take that money and buy two 50 point players", but you better pick the right ones because there's no guarantee those players are going to get the kind of bump Nuge has playing on the wing with McDrai. Especially with McDavid, it's not like he's the easiest player to play with.

If anything they'll get a discount on Nuge because they can look at his stats pre-McDavid and bring the number down. But anything up to 7 is a bargain for a guy that gets you 80 points a year, which is where Nuge is trending at right now. Again, we have to see how the year plays out though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad