Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Khaira @ 1.2
Chiasson @ 2.1
Larsson @ 4.1
Smith @ 1.5
Russell @ 4 (which drops to 1.25 for a gain of 2.75)
James Neal buyout would be what, 3.75?
Sekera @ 1.3
Pouliot @ 1.3
Possible Klef LTIR @ 4.1?
Ennis @ 1

That's almost 23 million in capspace. If Yamo gets 6x6 that leaves 17 million for a backup goalie, possibly a couple bottom six players and a potential RNH extension. Even if RNH got 7 that leaves 10 million.

If Bouchard replaces Barrie that's another 3.75 to take us back to 13.75 mil.

I don't think the team is as cap constrained as you think this summer
Bouchard doesn’t make 0, it takes us back to like 12.75m.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's at 6 points in 7 games, if he finishes this season at a point per game he'll have done that for about 120 games. He's not getting less than 6 million, and I don't think the Oilers can afford to lose him. McDavid and Draisaitl obviously have a huge impact on production, but you can't just throw garbage on that line and expect to get results like Nuge is getting. If he keeps it up (big if I know), I'm not sure you can be confident that plugging Hall into the same spot is an improvement, and you'll be paying more for that type of player.

You could say "well I'll take that money and buy two 50 point players", but you better pick the right ones because there's no guarantee those players are going to get the kind of bump Nuge has playing on the wing with McDrai. Especially with McDavid, it's not like he's the easiest player to play with.

If anything they'll get a discount on Nuge because they can look at his stats pre-McDavid and bring the number down. But anything up to 7 is a bargain for a guy that gets you 80 points a year, which is where Nuge is trending at right now. Again, we have to see how the year plays out though.
120 games of point per game? No.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
120 games of point per game? No.

Confused. If he plays 56 games this year and is around a point per game that would be 121 games. And as a winger he's probably been over a point per game because he really started his heater when he got switched to the wing. So I wouldn't bet against 56 points this year from Nuge.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Confused. If he plays 56 games this year and is around a point per game that would be 121 games. And as a winger he's probably been over a point per game because he really started his heater when he got switched to the wing. So I wouldn't bet against 56 points this year from Nuge.
You know he played like 30 games last season right?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Interesting article on nhl.com about American players in the North division

Top U.S.-born player in Scotia North Division debated by NHL.com

Now, Yamamoto was not mentioned. I see him as better than Wheeler and Gaudreau, or at least good enough to be added to the list. What option is correct you think?

1. They think Gaudreau and Wheeler are better, and Yamamoto isnt good enough.

2. They cant be bothered to pay attention to the Oilers and maybe dont know hes American

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Now, Yamamoto was not mentioned. I see him as better than Wheeler and Gaudreau, or at least good enough to be added to the list. What option is correct you think?

2. They cant be bothered to pay attention to the Oilers and maybe dont know hes American

Nah, Wheeler is elite, two 91 point seasons in a row. Gadreau is one season removed from 99 points and has been up around a ppg for a number of years. Yamamoto has a ways to go and will always have the "he's a product of Draisaitl/McDavid" argument going against him. And he probably is to a certain extent. I think that's a fair take.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016

I think Yamo needs to have a much larger body of work to be rightfully in the conversation with Wheeler and Gaudreau.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think Yamo needs to have a much larger body of work to be rightfully in the conversation with Wheeler and Gaudreau.
Yeah but that list has some young players too such as Hughes

Edit: and also the list number is arbitrary. Could have added him to it. He was over a PPG in 30 games and one of the better bets to be an impact winger in the future

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Lock him up. He's got the bite that everyone always wanted with Eberle.
I was just thinking exactly this - nothing against Ebs, as he will always be one of my favs. Yams has more jam, and is a better checker/forechecker. I know Nuge has his "hiss hiss Nuge's puck" thing going on, but our honey badger here is becoming a very proficient thief. He's the third silent member of Tenacious D...

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
For cap space, let Barrie (3.75 M) and Larsson (4M) walk. Replace them with Bouchard and one of Jones/Broberg/Lagesson/Samorukov.

My dream top six:
Hall-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

Chris Johnston already said Hall wants to go back to Edmonton. We are his top destination

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
For cap space, let Barrie (3.75 M) and Larsson (4M) walk. Replace them with Bouchard and one of Jones/Broberg/Lagesson/Samorukov.

My dream top six:
Hall-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

Chris Johnston already said Hall wants to go back to Edmonton. We are his top destination

I'd actually be a big fan of bringing Hall back and would sign him to a similar deal I'd give Nuge.

But I think unless Bouchard is stepping in this year and playing like a top pairing guy they're going to need to put some money into the defense and goaltending. Even if you think Koskinen is a legitimate number one (I'm still not sure) you're going to need a better back up than Smith.

I'd play Hall with Draisaitl though, those two were straight fire together.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

My dream top six:
Hall-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

If we’re bringing in a big ticket I’m not sure it should be a forward. I’d bring hall in under the right circumstances though. I’d just have guys like Hamilton, Rask, Binnington, Grubauer as a higher priority.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Love the nickname Honey Badger, but for the longest time I remember thinking a while back, I always thought his name should have been "Dynamite Kid".
(Also the playable character from Mike Tyson's Punch Out).

Then it totally clicked. Back in the early days of MMA there was this dynamite fighter named "Kid Yamamoto".

Also a relentless honey badger.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

My dream top six:
Hall-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

The Oilers need defense, a #1 goalie and a legit 3rd line center. The top 6 will be more than fine especially if Pulju continues to develop so signing Hall would be a luxury they can't afford to spend big on.
The only way I sign Hall is if Nuge signs elsewhere.

As for Yamamoto, he's exactly the type of player you want to lock up long term sooner than later but there is some validity to bridging him now to create more cap flexibility in the shorter term in what should be a Cup contention window the few years after this one.

While I'm a big fan of his, I don't think he's the type of player you have to worry about breaking out to the point of giving him a huge contract down the road. He's a complimentary forward when it boils down to it, a high end one, so maybe a bridge deal is the way to go. If they do go long term, I think the Konecny deal is a good benchmark, 6 years $33M although that was pre-Covid cap so maybe 6 years $30M?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->