Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'd actually be a big fan of bringing Hall back and would sign him to a similar deal I'd give Nuge.

But I think unless Bouchard is stepping in this year and playing like a top pairing guy they're going to need to put some money into the defense and goaltending. Even if you think Koskinen is a legitimate number one (I'm still not sure) you're going to need a better back up than Smith.

I'd play Hall with Draisaitl though, those two were straight fire together.
Hall with McDavid allowing DRY to reunite would be better.

hall and McDavid had some pretty good numbers after McDavid came back from his injury

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was just thinking exactly this - nothing against Ebs, as he will always be one of my favs. Yams has more jam, and is a better checker/forechecker. I know Nuge has his "hiss hiss Nuge's puck" thing going on, but our honey badger here is becoming a very proficient thief. He's the third silent member of Tenacious D...

I remember when we drafted him, I said that his upside was a grittier Eberle. Awesome that that now looks the case and he knows his way around in his own end and can PK as well.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Rough start for Yama...Last game was one of the worst performances I have seen from him as an Oiler. Almost threw the game away with his penalties, was constantly bodied off the puck in the o-zone, and managed only 1 shot on net. How long of a leash (games wise) do you guys think he will get in the top 6? and do we have anyone who could potentially take his spot? Maybe he really needs a guy like Drai to center him?

Reactions: Aerchon

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Rough start for Yama...Last game was one of the worst performances I have seen from him as an Oiler. Almost threw the game away with his penalties, was constantly bodied off the puck in the o-zone, and managed only 1 shot on net. How long of a leash (games wise) do you guys think he will get in the top 6? and do we have anyone who could potentially take his spot? Maybe he really needs a guy like Drai to center him?

First off, he drew two penalties, (one of which we scored on), negating the two penalties he took.

It's honestly hilarious how short term people's memories are. Go look at the comments on the GDT, he had a really good start with a nice zone entry and good work on the cycle. He then drove to the net after a McDavid feed, drawing two penalties and taking a headbutt from Rasmus Andersson. His 2nd and 3rd weren't great, but he was still much better than anyone else who might end up taking his spot. (Foegele - Ryan - Kassian are staying together)

I posted this earlier, but in terms of stats, he was tied for the lead on the team for individual HDSC, was 2nd on the team in takeaways, and 3rd on the team in hits.

His first game was much better though, his line with Hyman and Nuge dominated possession, shots, and scoring chances.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yamo does have good skill and a great motor. But he’s been struggling for awhile now. He needs to figure some shit out or he’s just not gonna make it.

1. Stop taking ticky tack penalties
2. Learn how to draw a penalty, with how often he gets clobbered by the opposition there must be a way for him to draw more
3. Stop getting clobbered by the opposition

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Very poor start to the year. Basically no impact on the game in a positive manner. Taking poor penalties, making mistakes that end up in our net. Hasn't scored in nearly 25 reg season games. Hope he figures it out soon..

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yamamoto looks fine to me... except that he can't score right now if they gave him the puck and stood him on a cliff facing the Pacific Ocean. I don't know what's been going on, but he's making Kassian look like Guy Lafleur at present.

Anyway, how hard is it?
Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

We all know this should be done. All of us, that is, except the head coach of the Oilers.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not liking his play as of late. He's resorting to grabbing sticks and trying to get away with shit.

He is really struggling imo.

He is doing those stick grabs and stuff like it because he is being pushed around and beaten to pucks cleanly. As a super tiny guy he has to always have position or its a simple matter for a normal sized nhl player to just angle him harmlessly away. His stick reach, positioning, and size are proving to be unequal to battling at the nhl. Plus he can't even get to areas to shoot let alone score.

Right at this moment I would rather have almost anyone over him. Kahun looked better last year than Yamamoto currently is playing.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yamamoto looks fine to me... except that he can't score right now if they gave him the puck and stood him on a cliff facing the Pacific Ocean. I don't know what's been going on, but he's making Kassian look like Guy Lafleur at present.

Anyway, how hard is it?
Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

We all know this should be done. All of us, that is, except the head coach of the Oilers.

I think the problem with the second line is that it was put together last year (finally) but didnt really seem to have the same magic. I think Draisaitl needs one of Hyman or JP on his line. I think RNH works better with Draisaitl than McDavid.

I think

Hyman - McDavid - Yamamoto
RNH - Draisaitl - JP

makes more sense but I like JP with McDavid too. Sucks.

If Tippett really wants to keep McDrai together.

Draisaitl - McDavid - Yamamoto
Hyman - RNH - JP

might be worth a try too. I think JP can drive a line better. I'm not sure RNH is really a center though. Sucks.

:)

Reactions: Whyme and Llamamoto

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
He is really struggling imo.

He is doing those stick grabs and stuff like it because he is being pushed around and beaten to pucks cleanly. As a super tiny guy he has to always have position or its a simple matter for a normal sized nhl player to just angle him harmlessly away. His stick reach, positioning, and size are proving to be unequal to battling at the nhl. Plus he can't even get to areas to shoot let alone score.

Right at this moment I would rather have almost anyone over him. Kahun looked better last year than Yamamoto currently is playing.

Yup, he could use some time in the press box to figure things out. Maybe watch Hyman.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
his game is so raw and immature right now, he definitely needs some playing time somewhere else *cough* AHL
if he's playing like this come February, kenny H will have to look at the winger market at TDL

shame he's no longer waiver exempt and would probably get picked up.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Man, is he ever struggling. And with that, he gets less and less ice time, as they move him down the lineup. He needs to gain some confidence, and get back to being aggressive.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Man, is he ever struggling. And with that, he gets less and less ice time, as they move him down the lineup. He needs to gain some confidence, and get back to being aggressive.
Its tricky, trying to move into contender status while still trying to develop a couple of RW's. I'd say we should try Yamamoto with McDavid, but Pulujarvi is just so good there and finally looking like a star.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Yamamoto has played on a line with Nuge for pretty much his entire career. They played well together during that hot streak but since then they've had zero chemistry.

I'd put him on the 4th line for a few games with Shore and Sceviour, make him earn that top-6 time back. If his play improves, I'd give him a different look in the top-6, either with Hyman - McDavid or Hyman - Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad