Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Right back at ya :P. Yamamoto has done everything you describe here except show up on the scoresheet. Which, again, is why I'd like him sent down.

But good clean passes to linemates to help break the puck out? Yup. Get back on the back check to retrieve the puck or be in good position to receive a pass? Yup. Get open to receive passes for golden scoring opportunities? Yup. Where his size and inexperience is really showing imo is around the net when he either needs to get the puck back to someone to finish a play, or finish the play himself.

Those "10 rushes a game" stymied have been as much on Lucic and Draisaitl as they have been on Yamamoto. Hell, until last game every single player other than McDavid was failing on the rush. That's very clearly been a huge problem and discussed at length here.

Again Kailor has been poor in puck support breaking up ice. he just isn't getting open for passes. He skates right into mid ice coverage. Does it consistently. Watch for it. You would think a player hi size would look for openings and try to create some space. He's just awful at that in NZ. Thus why the line doesn't work. Soon as Pulju was put on that line the transition up NZ is worlds better because Drai has somebody to pass the puck off to and get it back.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah you can see a big change in Drai’s play anytime he is on the ice with McDavid or Puljujarvi, both who seem to be able to make up for his lack of ability to drive his own line.

I have been a big Puljujarvi fan since day one, while you have spent most of the last two seasons being one of his biggest detractors. Now you’re magically a fan as he is making Drai look good. Would have thought you might have learned to not completely judge a player based of his very first initial introduction into the NHL. We’re you as critical of Draisaitl during his rookie season when he was struggling way worse than Yamamoto is currently? Or it is more of a personal bias against certain players that causes you to poorly judge them?

I never once wrote off Draisaitl, never once wrote off Puljujarvi. Pulju fans know that. Theres a difference between being critical o what a player is bringing vs writing them off. Albeit in Yama's case I am making a determination based on size and lack of elite skill. This is beyond adjustments with Yama or there being small things he can change or get better at. I see the required leap to be quantum, and very unlikely, with this player.

In anycase Pulju came out this preseason with much more energy, skating, moving his feet and working. AS I've stated throughout its all I've ever wanted from him to bring it, and give a chance for his gifts to shine. There were times where Puljujarvi wasn't playing aggressive enough to even give himself a chance of success in games. Now that he is I'm fully behind his effort.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hopefully with Yamamoto on the third line, he will stop deferring as much. I like the player but hes just not making a big enough impact for me to consider keeping him up. Hopefully he can get a goal and build up his confidence because he is working hard out there.

Not to harp on his smaller player status but he seems to get rubbed out of plays too easily. I know he wants to play hard and engage with other players but he might be better off trying to be more elusive and finding soft spots in coverage.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I really hope Yama scores and gets the monkey off his back. I love his compete level, it would be nice to see him rewarded. I’m also curious if there’s any changes to his game after.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He will score tomorrow.
7m9Qbfh.gif

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Started seeing some of why people are high on this kid.

Slippery player, and just good instincts and vision. Made several great plays. Really wish Lucic finished that beauty setup.

Reactions: The Batman

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Suck it all over analyzers... Yama just needed to play away from Draisaitl.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He looked phenomenal tonight. Yamamoto reminds me a bit of Hall. He drives the play by himself and works well with less skilled line mates. The better the player he’s with, the less the puck is on his stick, and the less effective he is. It’s weird to say, but he might be a gem for us as a player who can up the depth scoring on the team, by getting the third line going, and then getting lots of PP time

Reactions: 780il and Oilhawks

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
That was really great to see him get one. He had a few chances. That'll be huge for his confidence and also to relax a bit. I'm sure he's been stressed out not scoring yet. Good game for him.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Dunno if the skill I'm talking about can be adapted into. It's like you either got that skill or you don't. That Kane/Gaudreau type skill. Also, if you look at the NHL these days, you see that age and experience doesn't have as much to do with it these days for forwards. There are plenty of young forwards who step into the league and right away are good with the skills they've developed in junior.

Well my fellow friend it was only one game here but I need to know your overall opinion on his performance against the B's?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Very nice goal for his first in the NHL. Otherwise didn't really notice him, which can be seen as a good thing. Didn't really notice anyone else but McDavid to be honest. Everyone else pretty much faded into the background.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well my fellow friend it was only one game here but I need to know your overall opinion on his performance against the B's?

Made 2 nice passes, and had a great shot. He has speed, but I never said he didn't. You know who else has had games with multiple good passes and good shots? Sam Gagner. But one good game doesn't really discount what my assessment of him as a player is. I'll eat crow when I see him consistently carry that puck and make plays. I'll be happy to eat that crow, lord knows our team needs secondary talent and scoring.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Made 2 nice passes, and had a great shot. He has speed, but I never said he didn't. You know who else has had games with multiple good passes and good shots? Sam Gagner. But one good game doesn't really discount what my assessment of him as a player is. I'll eat crow when I see him consistently carry that puck and make plays. I'll be happy to eat that crow, lord knows our team needs secondary talent and scoring.
Usually reminded me of Arcobello, because that's how the other teams would play him.

Last night I'm seeing he has the ability to play more like RNH. Slippery with vision.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Difference to Sammy Snowpants is he is very good defensively and plays physical even though he is tiny.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nice goal by the kid. Beauty feed by Larsson.

Would be me remiss of me not to comment on the great finish. Good work to get around the D as well. Really was a huge goal.

Good on you for giving the kid credit where credit is due. I also threw some criticism his way for lack of high end skill but that was a high skill level play, reminded me of the good Eberle. I still don't think we'll see that display of skill on the regular but it shows his capability.

It wasn't only the goal, he was on it all night. He was drawing penalties, setting up linemates multiple times for prime chances, causing turnovers on the forecheck. The kid had himself quite a game, that line just clicks. It was their best line last night, Strome and Lucic played their role well too.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Pretty much where I'm at. The goal was essentially a seeing eye breakout pass from Larsson that went around 120ft and is atypical of this club or this D. It was a Ryan Jones type goal with better finish. I still need a lot more viewing of what this player can do in traffic, which is where most of the NHl game is played. Unless he cheats, and we don't want that, the breakaways are typically going to be a rare thing. Jones was often guilty of playing up high a lot and jumping own zone. He made it work somehow. I should never say never. That's my kryptonite though as a longtime fan, I can be critical until a player proves me wrong.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good on you for giving the kid credit where credit is due. I also threw some criticism his way for lack of high end skill but that was a high skill level play, reminded me of the good Eberle.

It wasn't only the goal, he was on it all night. He was drawing penalties, setting up linemates multiple times for prime chances, causing turnovers on the forecheck. The kid had himself quite a game, that line just clicks. It was their best line last night, Strome and Lucic played their role well too.

Thanks.

I have to admit I had a feeling he was going to score as well. Not sure what it was but he was getting open more, creating separation more, and possibly easier to do that playing in bottomsix. His play to Lucic was quite good. The best setup he's made this season and I watched the play a few times and yeah, his read not only to make the play but to setup there and read where the Bruins were was damned fine.

Like I said earlier as an Oilers fan I've been burned so many times I sometimes want to avoid setting myself up for false expectations so I adopt this "player has to show me" type approach. Last night Kailer showed stuff. He got my eye. I need to see some more though. I think I have trust issues, haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad