Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
His stature is very small as you know, he just needs to fill out more and he'll be able to not be bouncing off checks as much. As we see him bouncing off checks we see that he is going in the dirty areas.

He does have a high i.q obviously to be in the nhl at his age and size. He fits the newer nhl style definitely with his skating.

It's all about timing.
But why does he need to fill out on the Oilers? Seems the AHL has plenty of grown men for him to learn how to compete against size while he is filling out. Dude could add 30 or 40 lbs and still be amongst giants. The Oilers need to stop stifling any prospect that can wiggle their way onto the big club due to depth issues.

Reactions: Aerrol and guymez

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
He will work out quite well for Lucic. Lucic does not seem slug like so far this year. He will create some space for Yammalammadingdong.

I think that nickname will catch on.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's interesting that you accuse Drivesaitl of having bias against certain players, but here you are again saying how Draisaitl can't drive a line, and, when he does look good (in your opinion), it's because of another player: Puljujarvi, McDavid, or whomever. To me, this line of logic seems like you can never give Draisaitl credit no matter what. The fact that the anti-Draisaitl rhetoric occurs in a thread about another player, rather than the Draisaitl thread, seems to really highlight your dislike for the player. I'm not trying to attack you but I'm really struggling to understand why you can't give Draisaitl credit for anything.

Your logic seems to go something like this: If Draisaitl struggles, he can't drive a line, and he's holding the other players (Yamamoto, Lucic) back. If Draisaitl excels, the other players (Puljujarvi, McDavid) are dragging him along. To me, this screams bias. If there's something I'm missing, please fill me in.

Please show me how Draisaitl has driven a line at any point this season? Include preseason against weak competition even if you’d like. Please show me all his production away from McDavid and how he hasn’t needed MCDavid to inflate his stats. Please show me any player who has had his play elevated by playing with Draisaitl this year. You can’t.

You can however continue to think that Drai has been great this year and a huge success driving his own line if you’d like. But it’s clear you’re wrong.

Reactions: mouz135

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've waited for too many Oilers to fill out that were bigger than Yamo to begin with and more skilled and still get pushed around. I don't think any amount of filling out is going to change the fact that Yamo is going to get hit and buried a lot. It's not even really the size that's why with Yamo, it's his style of offence. Let's say he rushing down the boards, he'll try to squeeze through a defender and he'll get rubbed off the puck against the boards, what he should be doing is stopping up once he enters the blue line, stick handle and buy time, find a short smart pass. He doesn't do this.

Well it’s a good thing that he’s only played a handful of NHL games and can adapt his game.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Please show me how Draisaitl has driven a line at any point this season? Include preseason against weak competition even if you’d like. Please show me all his production away from McDavid and how he hasn’t needed MCDavid to inflate his stats. Please show me any player who has had his play elevated by playing with Draisaitl this year. You can’t.

You can however continue to think that Drai has been great this year and a huge success driving his own line if you’d like. But it’s clear you’re wrong.

I think we all agree, you and I, as well as many on here, that Draisaitl has room for improvement. Nobody is saying that he's playing wonderfully, at least that I've noticed. I never once said he was "great" so you're misreading my post and putting words in my mouth. However, I don't see the point of ripping into him because a) it's early in the season and you're basing your criticism off of a small sample size and b) he has 5 points in 4 games, second on the team to McDavid. If you want to use the same small sample size to criticize him, then you can't say how this small sample size negates the validity of him being over PPG.

Yes, I realize that McDavid is in all of Draisaitl's points, but other than Nurse's OT goal, who has produced outside of McDavid? Nobody. So, based on this logic, Nurse is the second-best Oiler in the first five games?

Secondly, how do you define "driving a line?" To me, this is a subjective concept that you can't mathematically pinpoint. Does it mean making your teammates better? In this case, can't you argue that Draisaitl made Puljujarvi better because PJ performed significantly better once allied with Draisaitl? To me, it's all about chemistry. Clearly, Yamamoto, Lucic, and Draisaitl do not work as a combination. It only took McClellan 10 games to figure that out, dating back to the preseason. Once coach switched Strome and Draisaitl, both lines performed considerably better, owing to the fact that the newly-formed lines complemented one another.

My issue with your post was that for the past month, you've constantly bashed Draisaitl for not "driving" Lucic and Yamamoto, but once he shows a spark with Puljujarvi, you attribute the success of the line to Puljujarvi rather than Draisaitl. Your response has still not addressed this apparent inconsistency in your argument.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well it’s a good thing that he’s only played a handful of NHL games and can adapt his game.

Dunno if the skill I'm talking about can be adapted into. It's like you either got that skill or you don't. That Kane/Gaudreau type skill. Also, if you look at the NHL these days, you see that age and experience doesn't have as much to do with it these days for forwards. There are plenty of young forwards who step into the league and right away are good with the skills they've developed in junior.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think we all agree, you and I, as well as many on here, that Draisaitl has room for improvement. Nobody is saying that he's playing wonderfully, at least that I've noticed. I never once said he was "great" so you're misreading my post and putting words in my mouth. However, I don't see the point of ripping into him because a) it's early in the season and you're basing your criticism off of a small sample size and b) he has 5 points in 4 games, second on the team to McDavid. If you want to use the same small sample size to criticize him, then you can't say how this small sample size negates the validity of him being over PPG.

Yes, I realize that McDavid is in all of Draisaitl's points, but other than Nurse's OT goal, who has produced outside of McDavid? Nobody. So, based on this logic, Nurse is the second-best Oiler in the first five games?

Secondly, how do you define "driving a line?" To me, this is a subjective concept that you can't mathematically pinpoint. Does it mean making your teammates better? In this case, can't you argue that Draisaitl made Puljujarvi better because PJ performed significantly better once allied with Draisaitl? To me, it's all about chemistry. Clearly, Yamamoto, Lucic, and Draisaitl do not work as a combination. It only took McClellan 10 games to figure that out, dating back to the preseason. Once coach switched Strome and Draisaitl, both lines performed considerably better, owing to the fact that the newly-formed lines complemented one another.

My issue with your post was that for the past month, you've constantly bashed Draisaitl for not "driving" Lucic and Yamamoto, but once he shows a spark with Puljujarvi, you attribute the success of the line to Puljujarvi rather than Draisaitl. Your response has still not addressed this apparent inconsistency in your argument.

I haven’t bashed Draisaitl, you’ve been over sensitive to any criticism of him. He has deserved his criticism IMO so far this year. He dogged it through preseason and hasn’t looked as good as he can be during the regular season.

Puljujarvi showed spark last game from the opening puck drop. His play didn’t elevate when paired with Drai, he was very good all game. Where as Drai struggled early and didn’t look good until paired with two layers who were having strong games. It’s two very easy dots to connect that you seem to struggle with.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Dunno if the skill I'm talking about can be adapted into. It's like you either got that skill or you don't. That Kane/Gaudreau type skill. Also, if you look at the NHL these days, you see that age and experience doesn't have as much to do with it these days for forwards. There are plenty of young forwards who step into the league and right away are good with the skills they've developed in junior.

Experience does matter when you’re taking about a guy who has played less than 10 pro games coming into this season. Not everyone can be a rookie who excels from game 1. I’m not saying he’s Kane/Gaudreau, never have said anything close to that. I’m saying it’s foolish to write him off based on a few games, where he has been playing on a line that had zero chemistry and a center who was playing bad hockey.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Caguilla has played every forward position at some point.
Caggiula probably can, hopefully he isn’t too banged up. Loving his play so far this season in the bottom six.

That could be a fit then. Put Caggiula with Strome and Lucic.

I think it would be a good idea to get Yams to the AHL.

The Condors are flying right now, so it would be a really good opportunity to get some offensive confidence going.

Lots of the farm hands are off to a good start too. You could even give a guy like Patrick Russell a cup of coffee at #4RW for a few games.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

The Condors are flying right now, so it would be a really good opportunity to get some offensive confidence going.

Lots of the farm hands are off to a good start too. You could even give a guy like Patrick Russell a cup of coffee at #4RW for a few games.
I agree. I think if Yamo doesn’t do something spectacular in the next couple of games to buy more time he’s gotta go down.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Experience does matter when you’re taking about a guy who has played less than 10 pro games coming into this season. Not everyone can be a rookie who excels from game 1. I’m not saying he’s Kane/Gaudreau, never have said anything close to that. I’m saying it’s foolish to write him off based on a few games, where he has been playing on a line that had zero chemistry and a center who was playing bad hockey.

I dunno the Tkachuk brothers, Point, Debrusk, Barzal, Peterrson, Keller, Debrincat, there's just so many examples nowadays of young players just coming in and being who they are. And that's not even mentioning all the 1st or 2nd overall types who come and produce, which wouldn't really be a fair comparison to Yamos draft placement.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

The biggest thing that Yamamoto needs to adjust to isn’t necessary the size of NHL players. It’s how quickly and efficiently they eliminate space and check him. Is he really going to be able to improve that part of his game much in a league where Keegan Lowe is considered a high level player at those aspects of the game? Would he be better suited to learn lower down in the lineup against weaker competition?

I don’t think many would have an issue with his play this season at all if McLellan would have started him on the 3rd line and Puljujarvi on the 2nd line. The most vocal Yamamoto detractors have been the ones who are blaming him for Drai’s poor start. This would have benefited Drai, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto. Hopefully Todd doesn’t go right back to what didn’t work if Drai/JP struggle for a few shifts.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I dunno the Tkachuk brothers, Point, Debrusk, Barzal, Peterrson, Keller, Debrincat, there's just so many examples nowadays of young players just coming in and being who they are. And that's not even mentioning all the 1st or 2nd overall types who come and produce, which wouldn't really be a fair comparison to Yamos draft placement.

You realize a lot of those guys either were top 5/10 picks or were projected to be that you listed. But if you want to write a young player off after a handful of pro games then go ahead. Did you do the same with Drai when he was way more out of place as a rookie than Yamamoto is right now?

Also Point had 5 points in his first 17 games in his rookie season. Wonder if Tampa fans had declared him a bust already at that point?

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I haven’t bashed Draisaitl, you’ve been over sensitive to any criticism of him. He has deserved his criticism IMO so far this year. He dogged it through preseason and hasn’t looked as good as he can be during the regular season.

Puljujarvi showed spark last game from the opening puck drop. His play didn’t elevate when paired with Drai, he was very good all game. Where as Drai struggled early and didn’t look good until paired with two layers who were having strong games. It’s two very easy dots to connect that you seem to struggle with.

I don't mind players being criticized if it's warranted, and, to some extent, it is as he can definitely play better than he's shown. I just think that you tend to look at things from an angle that nothing he ever does is good enough. Maybe he took too much money, which I think a certain contingent of fans (not necessarily yourself) focus on and it makes him a villain in their eyes. But I've said my piece on the matter, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't mind players being criticized if it's warranted, and, to some extent, it is as he can definitely play better than he's shown. I just think that you tend to look at things from an angle that nothing he ever does is good enough. But I've said my piece on the matter, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue.

I have praised Drai in many posts this season where he has made a strong play or shown good effort. I know you’ve seen them because you liked them ;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You realize a lot of those guys either were top 5/10 picks or were projected to be that you listed. But if you want to write a young player off after a handful of pro games then go ahead. Did you do the same with Drai when he was way more out of place as a rookie than Yamamoto is right now?

Yeh and there's a reason Yamo was in that 20-30 range, a range that statistically doesn't bode well for producing NHL players. It probably has to do with scouting reports saying Yamo gets hit too much, kind of the same thing I see.

And no, I didn't see the same thing with Drai but Drais foot speed was his issue and we've seen players overcome that a lot more than size. Drai wasn't being ragdolled around the ice when he was young. Kailer is.

You say I'm "writing him off" I say I'm just giving a realistic assessment of his potential. This doesn't mean I hate Kailer or want him to fail, I'll happily eat crow if he proves me wrong, but I see what I see and I'm gonna state it.

I dunno what Tampa fans thought of Point in his first 17 games, but if he was being ragdolled I bet they would have been coming to the same assessments as I am with Yamo. But I doubt Point was being ragdolled, I bet he was creating but not cashing in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The biggest thing that Yamamoto needs to adjust to isn’t necessary the size of NHL players. It’s how quickly and efficiently they eliminate space and check him. Is he really going to be able to improve that part of his game much in a league where Keegan Lowe is considered a high level player at those aspects of the game? Would he be better suited to learn lower down in the lineup against weaker competition?

I don’t think many would have an issue with his play this season at all if McLellan would have started him on the 3rd line and Puljujarvi on the 2nd line. The most vocal Yamamoto detractors have been the ones who are blaming him for Drai’s poor start. This would have benefited Drai, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto. Hopefully Todd doesn’t go right back to what didn’t work if Drai/JP struggle for a few shifts.

I just think that now that it looks like we have a solid AHL program, we should use it.

Send Yamo down, get his confidence up and then bring him back up with a running start.

Worked pretty well with Drai back in his sophomore year and the Condors look to be much better this year.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I have praised Drai in many posts this season where he has made a strong play or shown good effort. I know you’ve seen them because you liked them ;)

True. I do give you credit when credit is due :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Replacement your larger issue with the player still stems from him "not being big/tall enough" for you.

He's been a bit underwhelming, but he's had some nice moments and clearly looks like he belongs at this level.

Its a combination of his limited skill level and diminutive size. He doesn't have elite skill which small players his size need to have in this league. He doesn't even have any kind of great shot or finish.

Basically his preseason goals are a collection of perfect feeds into wide open nets against teams playing out the preseason.

I don't know that theres been one sequence this regular season where he impressed me with skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad