Proposal: Kadri to Avs for 1st+?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think whomever the AVS select at 4th OA will likley be their 2C of the Future and by having Kadri in their for a year or two would create a great environment for the kid. Make sense as his cap hit is very reasonable for what he brings. Yes he had a down year but past two season 30 goals and 50+ points. Likely in the 2C role he bumps it up to 60ish.

Not sure what the add would be or if a bigger package could be worked out but this would be a nice start. Well done OP!

Timmins would be the prospect I would want. It's likely this is who Dubas targets as he played for SSM. Not sure if the Avs would be will to part with him but that's who I would want.
Avs have Makar, Barrie and Johnson in the right side. Timmins is expendable due to that. Although he does have some risk due to injury concern ill admit.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Avalanche reportedly have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL. The Av prospect list includes a number of centers. Are none of them ready (or not that good)? The Av core isn't that old.
We can't rely on them yet. We can hope but we need to get someone more proven.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think Kadri would be a good fit on the Avs, and should it be around a deal for Barrie I think it could make some sense.

However with the 4th OA pick this year and 5 of the next 8 best players being high end centers prospects its very likely that need will be filled through this years draft. Even so I do think Kadri would be a great fit on the Avs to help bridge that gap.

With that said, now that the Avs have to protect Makar in the ED they will have to be careful about adding players to the team that will have to be protected and if they hit a better player in UFA this idea might be dead in the water.
I prefer Kadri due to cap hit. Hayes will get overpaid because centers are so valuable.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I prefer Kadri due to cap hit. Hayes will get overpaid because centers are so valuable.

As I said, I think Kadri would be an amazing fit for this Avs team, you'll find no argument from me there, especially as someone who feels Hayes is overrated and likely wouldn't offer him as much as he will end up getting.

Just pointing out some things related to Kadri.
-The Avs are unlikely to move their 1st unless its a really solid deal for them, which I don't expect. Draft picks are incredibly valuable to a team like the Avs at this stage in their rebuild
-The Avs will still possibly be moving Barrie, which could make better sense for all sides involved.
-The Avs have a ton of cap space and depending on how UFA goes they might not have a need for Kadri with potential signings/draft choices
-Finally due to the ED coming soon the Avs will be very careful on who they move for, as they have very limited slots to protect players and wont be moving out big assets for a player like Kadri if they aren't able to protect them from SEA.

So while I agree centers are valuable, should the Avs draft one a 4 OA, they really wont need any, at least not enough to be paying a premium for.

Reactions: avsfan09

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I mean... They kinda have a 4th overall pick to grab a solid #2C.

This is my first thought as well.

Kadri is a fine player on a good contract but the 2 picks this year will go a long way to adding to the Avs future.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Avs need atleast a stop gap 2c. What would Leafs be willing to do around Kadri? Avs are more than willing to trade their 1st in order to make it happen. Is a plus needed and if so how big?

Btw can we please try to keep this thread cordial? If you disagree on value don't dump on the other teams players/prospects. Explain why you value your piece higher and if the other side disagrees that's completely fair.

Sure why not. We need the cap space now that Marner is pricing himself past 10M. I'd use the pick on Byram for when Rielly prices himself out of our cap structure.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
As I said, I think Kadri would be an amazing fit for this Avs team, you'll find no argument from me there, especially as someone who feels Hayes is overrated and likely wouldn't offer him as much as he will end up getting.

Just pointing out some things related to Kadri.
-The Avs are unlikely to move their 1st unless its a really solid deal for them, which I don't expect. Draft picks are incredibly valuable to a team like the Avs at this stage in their rebuild
-The Avs will still possibly be moving Barrie, which could make better sense for all sides involved.
-The Avs have a ton of cap space and depending on how UFA goes they might not have a need for Kadri with potential signings/draft choices
-Finally due to the ED coming soon the Avs will be very careful on who they move for, as they have very limited slots to protect players and wont be moving out big assets for a player like Kadri if they aren't able to protect them from SEA.

So while I agree centers are valuable, should the Avs draft one a 4 OA, they really wont need any, at least not enough to be paying a premium for.
I think they can add an FA and Kadri.

As for the expansion draft Kadri has a very tradeable contract and will only have one season left on it at expansion time so he's very capable of being bought out aswell.

As for the Avs 1st. I think while draft picks hold alot of value the Avs need for futures is certainly less than it's need for players that can make an immediate impact. I also think Kadri is very worth a 1st in the mid range.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
This is my first thought as well.

Kadri is a fine player on a good contract but the 2 picks this year will go a long way to adding to the Avs future.
The 4th definitely but we can't rely on them to be a 2c on a competitive team. That would be unfair expectations. I'd use Kadri to insulate him until he surpasses him and pushes him to 3C.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The 4th definitely but we can't rely on them to be a 2c on a competitive team. That would be unfair expectations. I'd use Kadri to insulate him until he surpasses him and pushes him to 3C.

The thing is that it really depends on what the Avs think of jost long term.

Soderberg, Kerfoot, Compher and Jost are a good committee to place hold behind MacKinnon.

If Kadri can be had for the AVS first (16th overall) it would be one thing but the Leafs aren't making that deal.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Especially if the Avs draft Byram at #4 I would definitely do something like this and use one of Timmins or Meloche as the + to the #16 pick to get a deal done.

Kadri would be a solid 2C and at his cap hit would allow us to still heavily pursue a good Top 6 winger to pair with him.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The thing is that it really depends on what the Avs think of jost long term.

Soderberg, Kerfoot, Compher and Jost are a good committee to place hold behind MacKinnon.

If Kadri can be had for the AVS first (16th overall) it would be one thing but the Leafs aren't making that deal.
Fair enough. I think there's a good chance Jost becomes a winger. I liked him last night at C though.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Because the leafs gap is offense?
Kadri is a center, Leafs don't have a center to replace him, we're playing Gautier after him which is a borderline NHL talent.

Kadri is one of our few players with an edge.

Every team needs quality centers. They are like top four blueliners, hard to come by.

The **** do they want with a draft pick?

Jun 27, 2005
It's more likely that Kadri get's 16 OA or wherever the Av's second 1st round pick would be. Definitely not 4th OA.

Kadri was a 7th OA, he plays like a fully developed 7th OA on a great contract. I say the price is 7th OA or the equivalent.

Reactions: OB34KNH

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Great. CHI can have hometown boy Turcotte. Dach to Colorado and then LA can have Podkolzin. Detroit gets their pick of Byram or Cozens. :nod:

... I wish. Outta curiosity would COL run AA as their #2C? And what would the payment be?
Yes AA would fit in but I'm very doubtful Detroit wants to move him

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Avalanche reportedly have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL. The Av prospect list includes a number of centers. Are none of them ready (or not that good)? The Av core isn't that old.
Bowers and Kamenev should both be good bottom six centers. Only other center is Jost who is on the team and is looking better suited to wing. Our right hand defence prospect pool is insanely good though.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Kadri was a 7th OA, he plays like a fully developed 7th OA on a great contract. I say the price is 7th OA or the equivalent.

The narrative right now, and I mean right now, is that Kadri can hurt his team as much as he helps in the playoffs. Does this make him available in the off season?

If so he'll get less than 7 OA.

That first part is from Bob Mackenzie, not me.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Avs need atleast a stop gap 2c. What would Leafs be willing to do around Kadri? Avs are more than willing to trade their 1st in order to make it happen. Is a plus needed and if so how big?

Btw can we please try to keep this thread cordial? If you disagree on value don't dump on the other teams players/prospects. Explain why you value your piece higher and if the other side disagrees that's completely fair.

Avs' 1st and a decent plus is fair. Maybe a 2020/2021 2nd as the plus, and we'll add something small if necessary.

That's the price I'd expect for Kadri from someone who wants him (the someone wasn't entirely clear, but if it's Colorado, then perfect).

Then the Leafs just need to sign some RFA's at that point and determine whether they are content with Rielly, Muzzin, Zaitsev, Dermott as the top 4 next year. Otherwise, it's maybe some small depth signings/trades, and we are good for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad