Proposal: Kadri to Avs for 1st+?

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Avs need atleast a stop gap 2c. What would Leafs be willing to do around Kadri? Avs are more than willing to trade their 1st in order to make it happen. Is a plus needed and if so how big?

Btw can we please try to keep this thread cordial? If you disagree on value don't dump on the other teams players/prospects. Explain why you value your piece higher and if the other side disagrees that's completely fair.

As a Leaf fan, I love Kadri and what he brings. Yes sometimes he crosses the line but what's undeniable is his heart and competitive spirit. I would totally make that deal as we need the cap space to sign Marner. Then possibly flip that pick to help themselves on the defensive end.

Reactions: avsfan09

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
God... Kadri in the Central. I think Byfuglein will literally kill him before the end of his first season.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Why would the Leafs trade a guy on a good contract for a mid-round pick plus smaller parts? He hasn't had a great year but he's still a capable 2nd line, 30 goal center who's decent on D and doesnt play scared. If he gets dealt, it's for a dman of a similar age and contract who can play in the top 4 like Muzzin.

Yah, cause we all know every GM are going to line-up in roder to hand out a top4D for a 2nd line C...

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're not trading Kadri for a mid first and some prospects. I don't care how mediocre his numbers were this season, the guy put up two thirty goal seasons in a row, is solid defensively, and is on a great contract. If he's getting moved, it's bringing back players who can contribute immediately and have some term. If that's not available, we will very happily keep him. Centre depth is one of our team's biggest strengths and we're not going to give it away on magic beans while we're looking to be a contender. We will have cap casualties as soon as this summer, but it won't be the guys on great contracts like Kadri.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I mean... They kinda have a 4th overall pick to grab a solid #2C.

This is where we draft Byram. Barrie, Makar, Girard, Byram. I'll take it. I am not in the camp of drafting a #2C. I'm more for trying to sign one. Someone like Kevin Hayes would fit perfectly on our second line. I'd also be stoked if we gave Jost more of a chance. He was buzzing last night against Calgary and he still has the talent. He needs the confidence and people to believe in him.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Erik Johnson for Kadri

I don't know if EJ would waive his NMC. I think he's pretty settled in Colorado. Even if he did there would need to be a significant add on the Avalanche side. I'd be willing to do so, because I think Kadri would fill a big role here. I am not sure how Toronto would feel about the move but EJ would defensively help that team and he's not a slouch by any means.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I don't know if EJ would waive his NMC. I think he's pretty settled in Colorado. Even if he did there would need to be a significant add on the Avalanche side. I'd be willing to do so, because I think Kadri would fill a big role here. I am not sure how Toronto would feel about the move but EJ would defensively help that team and he's not a slouch by any means.
No. EJ would not provide much help at all.
The leafs are fine with Kadri. It’s the media that loves to hate him.
Just like brad Marchand; you love him when he is on your team. You just have to deal with a guy that sometimes crosses the line.
He isn’t being traded unless the leafs get exactly what they need..... I’m not sure anyone needs Eric Johnson

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
No. EJ would not provide much help at all.
The leafs are fine with Kadri. It’s the media that loves to hate him.
Just like brad Marchand; you love him when he is on your team. You just have to deal with a guy that sometimes crosses the line.
He isn’t being traded unless the leafs get exactly what they need..... I’m not sure anyone needs Eric Johnson

I like EJ a lot. I think he's severely underrated around these boards. Defensively he brings his A-game all the time. He's not going to do anything flashy and people don't talk about him a lot. I think that's how you should feel about a defensive d-man.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I like EJ a lot. I think he's severely underrated around these boards. Defensively he brings his A-game all the time. He's not going to do anything flashy and people don't talk about him a lot. I think that's how you should feel about a defensive d-man.
Sounds like the type of player Colorado desperately needs to keep

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Sounds like the type of player Colorado desperately needs to keep

The only reason we'd part with him is due to Expansion Draft constraints (if he would even waive his NMC) and filling a need. But I agree, I would very much like to keep EJ. Great defensively, huge locker room guy, and a mentor that's helping our young guys.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If they think Aaltonen or Nylander can play 3C full time I'd be interested in some of the deals here. I think that line works better with a skill center and physical wingers rather than the other way around.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
It's more likely that Kadri get's 16 OA or wherever the Av's second 1st round pick would be. Definitely not 4th OA.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Avs need atleast a stop gap 2c. What would Leafs be willing to do around Kadri? Avs are more than willing to trade their 1st in order to make it happen. Is a plus needed and if so how big?

Btw can we please try to keep this thread cordial? If you disagree on value don't dump on the other teams players/prospects. Explain why you value your piece higher and if the other side disagrees that's completely fair.

I think whomever the AVS select at 4th OA will likley be their 2C of the Future and by having Kadri in their for a year or two would create a great environment for the kid. Make sense as his cap hit is very reasonable for what he brings. Yes he had a down year but past two season 30 goals and 50+ points. Likely in the 2C role he bumps it up to 60ish.

Not sure what the add would be or if a bigger package could be worked out but this would be a nice start. Well done OP!

Timmins would be the prospect I would want. It's likely this is who Dubas targets as he played for SSM. Not sure if the Avs would be will to part with him but that's who I would want.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Who won't be ready for a few years, need to take advantage of the MacKinnon/Landy contracts + Makar/Girard ELC.

Avalanche reportedly have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL. The Av prospect list includes a number of centers. Are none of them ready (or not that good)? The Av core isn't that old.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think Kadri would be a good fit on the Avs, and should it be around a deal for Barrie I think it could make some sense.

However with the 4th OA pick this year and 5 of the next 8 best players being high end centers prospects its very likely that need will be filled through this years draft. Even so I do think Kadri would be a great fit on the Avs to help bridge that gap.

With that said, now that the Avs have to protect Makar in the ED they will have to be careful about adding players to the team that will have to be protected and if they hit a better player in UFA this idea might be dead in the water.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad