TSN: Kadri: "The confidence is there"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Kadri working out off the ice this year it should translate to positive improvement on the ice with higher totals.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
With Kadri working out off the ice this year it should translate to positive improvement on the ice with higher totals.

#1 PP time and not being anchored by Clarkson for most of the year is what will help him the most in terms of totals. It's everything else that should benefit from a better offseason.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
#1 PP time and not being anchored by Clarkson for most of the year is what will help him the most in terms of totals. It's everything else that should benefit from a better offseason.

I had no idea Clarkson was the #1 (or even 2nd most) person he played with last year. Funny how his stats didn't improve after Clarkson was traded.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
I had no idea Clarkson was the #1 (or even 2nd most) person he played with last year. Funny how his stats didn't improve after Clarkson was traded.

The rest of his linemates were 3rd liners,or so I hear.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, his most consistent winger was Winnik (a 3rd/4th liner before coming to the Leafs) AND scoring was down team wide, particularly during he latter half of the season.

It's the "one size fits all" fallacy that still runs rampant on HF.

The TKO line was the highest scoring line in both the regular season and playoffs and is actually good defensively too. I really hope we can form our own TKO line with any combination of Kadri, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Marner etc...

And like you said, there's definitely more than one way to win in the league.

Yep. I'll never understand that line of thought. A team with three top six centres is better than a team with two .

Mar 26, 2010
His confidence has always been there, he is a legend in his own mind. That being said...It will be the same old bottom 6 performance from him.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Do you not consider Santo,Winnik,Panik,Clarkson as 3rd liners? The only decent player he gots some decent ice time with was Lupul.

I'll give,you're probably right.
After taking a good look at last years roster no wonder we did crappy.The Leaf's would have been lucky to build a second line and second pairing D on a good team.And with 2 back-up goalies the team was doomed from the start.

mikebel111*

His confidence has always been there, he is a legend in his own mind. That being said...It will be the same old bottom 6 performance from him.

Kadri is a good player. Silly critics who have always been a problem
No wonder managment loves him
#beauty

Leafs97

Sep 1, 2015
Is Nazem Kadri worth a long term contract if he puts up good numbers this year?

Hey guys. Here's my view on the kadri situation. He's been inconsistent throughout his NHL career. He hasn't put up elite numbers at the nhl (besides the lockout shortened season). But if he has one good year and then he has the opportunity to "take us to the bank" as Babcock says.. Wouldn't that go against the whole new Regimes idea of not signing bad contracts? I don't buy that he will put up great numbers (60+ points) every year for 7 years.. So why offer him a 6 or 7 year deal at $7mill? I think if he puts up good numbers this year, sign him to a 3 or maybe 4 year deal

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I wouldn't go over 3 years with Kadri. Seems like the type of guy that would get complacent. He's been talking a lot lately about changing his attitude/work ethic, but I wouldn't trust a word he says until we see the proof.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You have nothing to worry about. He won't get 7 million regardless if his point totals. As you said, he has not been consistent enough for that type of money.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
I expect he'll get Tavares money (5.5/year) if he has a good season, which will further add to his delusions of him being as good as Tavares.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I'll give,you're probably right.
After taking a good look at last years roster no wonder we did crappy.The Leaf's would have been lucky to build a second line and second pairing D on a good team.And with 2 back-up goalies the team was doomed from the start.

Carlyle had us in a playoff spot halfway through the season but we all know how the prior season ended up going so I don't know if I'd put too much into that :laugh:

This is why Kadri gets unfairly criticized.

Last year was the only time you could interpret his play as a "bottom 6 performance" (that's even debateable). Prior 2 years he put up very good top-6 numbers.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It doesn't have to be a 7 for 7 type deal. He Leafs are in a pretty strong negotiating position - though they will likely seek to pay for potential.

If he has a strong season, I can see him getting in the 5-6.5 million per range for a 5ish year long deal. I think that's a fair deal (again, assuming he has a good year - which I think he will).

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You have nothing to worry about. He won't get 7 million regardless if his point totals. As you said, he has not been consistent enough for that type of money.
he had a 50 pt year, had 44 in 48 so around 65-75 pts, and 39pts( would be around 45 pts) if he played full year). He is comparable to ror production wise except he has played less seasons and on a worse team. If he can play a two way game contributing 60ish points he will get 6 plus millon, possible 7. However im hoping he gives us a discount and signs for 5.5 for 7 years.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I expect he'll get Tavares money (5.5/year) if he has a good season, which will further add to his delusions of him being as good as Tavares.

If you actually read the quote he said he thinks he can be comparable to tavares at some point if he puts in work. Nowhere did he ever say he was as good or better than tavares like everyone always says.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
he had a 50 pt year, had 44 in 48 so around 65-75 pts, and 39pts( would be around 45 pts) if he played full year). He is comparable to ror production wise except he has played less seasons and on a worse team. If he can play a two way game contributing 60ish points he will get 6 plus millon, possible 7. However im hoping he gives us a discount and signs for 5.5 for 7 years.

What Kadri has is 1 season over 45 points....and it was 50 points.
ROR has 3 seasons of 55 points or more...with one being 64 points.

And yes he had a good lockout year but has so far shown that it was an son only and cannot come close to it during a full season. And you ignored ROR shortened lockout year...a 56 point pace which he has shown he can do and multiple times.

ROR has also finished high in Selke voting and can play C and LW both well.

I think he gets a 4 year deal at 5 million.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If you actually read the quote he said he thinks he can be comparable to tavares at some point if he puts in work. Nowhere did he ever say he was as good or better than tavares like everyone always says.

His point was mostly that Tavares has great talent, but what makes him so special is his work ethic and dedication on top of that talent.

I found it rather obvious, but people really seem to go out of their way to misunderstand others nowadays so not surprised that it's got twisted into the "I'm just as good as Tavares"-narrative.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He's just so all over the place.

He does well, when the team does well...otherwise, not as great.
Just like many others, he's on a try out.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

:laugh: This team was a hot mess last season, nobody had good stats

The rest of his linemates were 3rd liners,or so I hear.

Well they were... Winnik, Santa, Clarkson. Oh and he even played with Orr when Carlyle was being Carlyle.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Sorry, if you give a player like Kadri 6-7 mil a year, you're in trouble.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No more excuses for Kadri. Brand new management, coaching staff and a fresh outlook of the team.

I'm not saying he has to put up a PPG or show that he's a true #1 center, because that's incredibly doubtful that he can do that, but he really needs to prove that he can be a consistent offensive center and outplay his current counterparts.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It doesn't have to be a 7 for 7 type deal. He Leafs are in a pretty strong negotiating position - though they will likely seek to pay for potential.

If he has a strong season, I can see him getting in the 5-6.5 million per range for a 5ish year long deal. I think that's a fair deal (again, assuming he has a good year - which I think he will).

Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad