Confirmed with Link: Kadri Suspended 3 Games

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Then the league would need to tighten up on medical reports and clearance, if the player lies about his health then suspend him as well, bottom line its time to seriously get tough on these dirty rats out there before someone winds up dead.

:handclap:

These dirty rats have been in the game since its birth. You want to get tough with medical reports.

How can you prove that someone is feeling well from a concussion?

Then if he is lying then you did good.

If the person is telling the truth and you THINK they are lying then you force them to pay a fine?

Now, you have become the rat.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
A goalie is treated differently than any other player on the ice. How many times has Kadri had such encounters with goalies that lead you to believe that he would intentionally make such a play toward a goalie all in an effort to spark his team?

You also have not addressed your very obvious oversight on how the play unfolded. There is proof that the puck was in fact loose in between Backstrom's pad before going wide. Kadri's back to the play, his attempt at the deflection, his rush toward Backstrom while the puck was loose, his head following the puck at the exact moment it was going wide while he was simultaneously collided with Backstrom all in a span of a second...all of this suggests an unintentional but reckless play.

Yes the puck hit Backstrom and went behind his pad, but if you look at the replay Kadri stops skating for 2-3 seconds before barrling overtop of Backstrom. I have showed you guys this replay many a times, don't believe me then that's on you, were just going to have to agree to disagree on this subject.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Way too much whine in this thread. If we want our guys to play with the ol' truculence that everyone loves we're going to find ourselves in Shanahan's office once in a while. The league isn't out to get us or anything like that, we've done some stupid stuff and got punished for it. Other people have done other things and gotten away with it, but that's the way things go. Your little brother causes some trouble and gets away with it, but you do the same and get 5 across the ass from the old man. Punishment is never doled out fairly, man up and deal with it.

It's not uncommon in the NHL for teams to miss the playoffs by only a point or two. Kadri's stupid actions with Bozak and Bolland out of the lineup cost us two points already, and it's not in any way ridiculous to suggest that his stupidity could conceivably be the reason we miss the playoffs when the season winds up. That's unacceptable to me more so than the fact that Shanahan is picking on us. Quit playing a shell game to shift blame on anybody but the golden child. He messed up big time. Trade him.

While you're getting a lot of flak for your latest appeal to trade Kadri here, a lot of people are overlooking your first paragraph, which is spot on. I like the sibling example, it's exactly what I was thinking of throughout this entire debate.

For the love of God man. This kid was about a point per game last season. This season not too shabby. Being a pest is not what the coaches count on him to be.

He was using it as a compliment, and he's absolutely right to. A big part of Kadri's game is the edge he plays with. Wednesday night he got reckless and made a bonehead move, which is now costing us and him. But that intensity is hugely important to the way he plays, and we should all be thankful to have such a skilled player who also brings generous amounts of sand-paper. Not all pests only score 40 points a season.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Yes the puck hit Backstrom and went behind his pad, but if you look at the replay Kadri stops skating for 2-3 seconds before barrling overtop of Backstrom. I have showed you guys this replay many a times, don't believe me then that's on you, were just going to have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Kadri had his back turned to Backstrom and had his stick out for the deflection before turning toward the net at 12:57. He collided with Backstrom right before the clock went to 12:56. That's less than a 1 second span and here you are saying that he stopped skating for 2-3 seconds before colliding with Backstrom when in fact he didn't even spend an entire second FACING Backstrom let alone 2-3 seconds casually skating into him to knock him over.

The confusion seems to be your inability to count or read a clock.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
While you're getting a lot of flak for your latest appeal to trade Kadri here, a lot of people are overlooking your first paragraph, which is spot on. I like the sibling example, it's exactly what I was thinking of throughout this entire debate.

He was using it as a compliment, and he's absolutely right to. A big part of Kadri's game is the edge he plays with. Wednesday night he got reckless and made a bonehead move, which is now costing us and him. But that intensity is hugely important to the way he plays, and we should all be thankful to have such a skilled player who also brings generous amounts of sand-paper. Not all pests only score 40 points a season.

I'm pretty sure they score about that much.

Also, this is the same guy who though Kassian is a way better player than Kadri.

He is already eyeing less talented people for Reilly.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm pretty sure they score about that much.

Also, this is the same guy who though Kassian is a way better player than Kadri.

He is already eyeing less talented people for Reilly.

I think you have a limited definition of the term 'pest'. Chirping opponents, getting under the other team's skin, being aggressive on puck carriers, finishing hard on the forecheck, drawing penalties - those are the kinds of things that make someone a pest, not the amount of points they put up. If a guy scores 40 points a year while displaying those qualities, he is a pest, yes, but so is a player who does that while putting up 80 points.

Again, he was using the term as a compliment, and it's a fitting one at that. I don't know why you have to turn it into some insult just because you think he's anti-Kadri.

As for my response to Jughead, I understand his views on Kadri, and I disagree with them severely. What I agreed with was his stance on how everyone here is handling the suspension situation. His previous player comparisons have absolutely no bearing on that, however unpopular they may be.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I think you have a limited definition of the term 'pest'. Chirping opponents, getting under the other team's skin, being aggressive on puck carriers, finishing hard on the forecheck, drawing penalties - those are the kinds of things that make someone a pest, not the amount of points they put up. If a guy scores 40 points a year while displaying those qualities, he is a pest, yes, but so is a player who does that while putting up 80 points.

Again, he was using the term as a compliment, and it's a fitting one at that. I don't know why you have to turn it into some insult because you think he's anti-Kadri. His previous player comparisons have no relevance to the discussion either, not sure why you bring that up.

Usually if you cannot put up the points, you would have to do other things such as what you describe.

Your number one job is to do the other things while scoring is an added bonus. Won't be a top scorer on your team. Usually not cracking top 5 on team scoring.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Usually if you cannot put up the points, you would have to do other things such as what you describe.

Your number one job is to do the other things while scoring is an added bonus. Won't be a top scorer on your team. Usually not cracking top 5 for sure.

Again, your definition is very limited. You expect that a player only becomes a pest if they don't have the skill, but entirely disregard the players that have both skill and pest qualities, such as Kadri or Kesler. He does have the skill. He also is a pest. It's like trying to limit defensive forwards to just guys like McClement or Hanzal, when you have to include Datsyuk and Toews. It's the certain way that players develop their overall game, and avoid being one-dimensional offensive players.

Also, Brad Marchand finished 1st on the Bruins in scoring last year, and 5th the year before. And was 3rd in scoring during the Playoffs the year they won the Stanley Cup.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Again, your definition is very limited. You expect that a player only becomes a pest if they don't have the skill, but entirely disregard the players that have both skill and pest qualities, such as Kadri or Kesler. He does have the skill. He also is a pest. It's like trying to limit defensive forwards to just guys like McClement or Hanzal, when you have to include Datsyuk and Toews. It's the certain way that players develop their overall game, and avoid being one-dimensional offensive players.

Also, Brad Marchand finished 1st on the Bruins in scoring last year, and 5th the year before.

Datsyuk and Toews are not counted on for third line duty.
Kessler and Kadri play on the power play.
Jay Mcclement is geared to kill penalties.
Brad Marchand plays on the second line.
Hal Gill does not jump on the rush.
Kris Letang is not a shutdown D.

A pest is someone like Kaleta.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Again, your definition is very limited. You expect that a player only becomes a pest if they don't have the skill, but entirely disregard the players that have both skill and pest qualities

No, that is their greater quality if they don't have the skill.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Datsyuk and Toews are not counted on for third line duty.
Kessler and Kadri play on the power play.
Jay Mcclement is geared to kill penalties.
Brad Marchand plays on the second line.
Hal Gill does not jump on the rush.
Kris Letang is not a shutdown D.

A pest is someone like Kaleta.

I'm really sorry, but what exactly does any of this have to do with anything? Where a player is positioned in the line-up has nothing to do with which skills or intangibles they possess, but rather the extent or level at which they perform those skills.

Terms like pest, shut-down D, power-forward, power-play quarter-back are not used to define what line a player is on, simply to describe the way that player goes about playing the game.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
No, that is their greater quality if they don't have the skill.

And this is exactly where the problem is, you define a player's style based solely on their greatest quality. But that is wrong, because tons of players in the League excel at multiple aspects of the game, that's a huge part of what makes great players. You need to understand that you can be more than one kind of player. There are skilled defensive-forwards, skilled power-forwards, and yes, skilled pests. Kadri is a great example of a skilled pest. That is a good thing.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I'm really sorry, but what exactly does any of this have to do with anything? Where a player is positioned in the line-up has nothing to do with which skills or intangibles they possess, but rather the extent or level at which they perform those skills.

Terms like pest, shut-down D, power-forward, power-play quarter-back are not used to define what line a player is on, simply to describe the way that player goes about playing the game.

They have a quality that they are chosen for. That usually determines where they will be counted on the most. That is what defines them the most.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
And this is exactly where the problem is, you define a player's style based solely on their greatest quality. But that is wrong, because tons of players in the League excel at multiple aspects of the game, that's a huge part of what makes great players. You need to understand that you can be more than one kind of player. There are skilled defensive-forwards, skilled power-forwards, and yes, skilled pests. Kadri is a great example of a skilled pest. That is a good thing.

If you are a skilled offensive forward. The defense is gravy. You still need to go out there and score because mr. stone hands beside you is not going to do it.

Kadri's most meaningful possession is his skill. The pest part is an afterthought if he is not scoring or being creative.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If you are a skilled defensive forward. The defense is gravy. You still need to go out there and score because mr. stone hands beside you is not going to do it.

Kadri's most meaningful possession is his skill. The pest part is an afterthought if he is not scoring or being creative.

That seems like a very narrow-minded way to look at the game. Hockey is about all three zones, not just the offensive, and players who know how to play a complete game are extremely valuable. Most would suggest that a good defensive game or physical game helps a lot of players with their offensive game.

The whole point of all-around players is that each aspect of their game is important and helps make a difference. Why you want to deny this stuff is absolutely mind-boggling. Kadri's physicality was awesome last year when he was both putting up PPG numbers and crushing guys. The thing is, without that pest agitation, Kadri isn't Kadri. Datsyuk isn't Datsyuk without his elite defensive game to go with the points he puts up, they're both aspects of what defines him as a player. It's not 'gravy', it's part of the turkey, part of his game. A better food analogy would be a hamburger. If the skill is the patty, the intangibles are the bun, but you don't get the final product without both parts.

Derek Synak

Mar 14, 2009
Mistake by the Lake
Kadri was just being Kadri.

He needs to play that way because it's who he is as a player, and as such, will be sent to the principals office from time to time.

The punishment was one game too much IMO.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
That seems like a very narrow-minded way to look at the game. Hockey is about all three zones, not just the offensive, and players who know how to play a complete game are extremely valuable. Most would suggest that a good defensive game or physical game helps a lot of players with their offensive game.

The whole point of all-around players is that each aspect of their game is important and helps make a difference. Why you want to deny this stuff is absolutely mind-boggling. Kadri's physicality was awesome last year when he was both putting up PPG numbers and crushing guys. The thing is, without that pest agitation, Kadri isn't Kadri. Datsyuk isn't Datsyuk without his elite defensive game to go with the points he puts up, they're both aspects of what defines him as a player. It's not 'gravy', it's part of the turkey, part of his game. A better food analogy would be a hamburger. If the skill is the patty, the intangibles are the bun, but you don't get the final product without both parts.

It's a part of his game but not what he is known for. Let's say Kadri scores 15 points the entire season but was great at agitating the other team or hitting and was great defensively. The guys who are "COMPLIMENTING" him for these attributes would go bananas here.

Deep down inside they would be satisfied though. Why?

Because they estimated Kadri at 40 points in 82 games max in the NHL. Never mind, guys like them and Mr. Ronny don't think he could score more than 1 goal in a game in the NHL. Kadri shouldn't crack the line up. He is an arrogant pest who thinks he might score 2 goals in a game or even three goals.

That's crazy! Let's trade this bum for a bag of pucks before people realize he is a bust.

Now they are after Morgan Reilly. This kid is oozing with skill, patience and hockey sense. Can't have guys like this.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It's a part of his game but not what he is known for. Let's say Kadri scores 15 points the entire season but was great at agitating the other team or hitting and was great defensively. The guys who are "COMPLIMENTING" him for these attributes would go bananas here.

Deep down inside they would be satisfied though. Why?

Because they estimated Kadri at 40 points in 82 games max in the NHL. Never mind, guys like them and Mr. Ronny don't think he could score more than 1 goal a game in the NHL. Kadri shouldn't crack the line up. He is an arrogant pest who thinks he might score 2 goals in a game or even three goals.

That's crazy! Let's trade this bum for a bag of pucks before people realize he is a bust.

Now they are after Morgan Reilly. This kid is oozing with skill, patience and hockey sense. Can't have guys like this.

The people calling Kadri a pest here are not anti-Kadri, they are not the ones calling for him to be traded. I love the kid, I think he's our potential #1C for the long-term, but he is also a pest. No, I would not be pleased if he only put up 15 points because of some hidden agenda where for some reason I would like him to fail (I've been a huge supporter of his since draft day). But I would also be disappointed if he put up 80 points but played a soft game and completely gave up his aggressive style of play, because that's part of what makes Kadri's game special too.

Seriously, what is so complicated about this? You're making ridiculous assumptions about other posters and their views of a player because you can't broaden your definition of someone's style of play.

For the record, I've maintained my belief that Kadri can put up 90 points a season when he's in his prime, so your argument can't simply be against posters who never foresaw good things from him, especially when the poster who called him a pest in the first place is not one of those people either. I absolutely love the kid. But he is also a pest, because of the way he plays the game. We should all be thrilled about this.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
The people calling Kadri a pest here are not anti-Kadri, they are not the ones calling for him to be traded. I love the kid, I think he's our potential #1C for the long-term, but he is also a pest. No, I would not be pleased if he only put up 15 points because of some hidden agenda where for some reason I would like him to fail (I've been a huge supporter of his since draft day). But I would also be disappointed if he put up 80 points but played a soft game and completely gave up his aggressive style of play, because that's part of what makes Kadri's game special too.

Seriously, what is so complicated about this? You're making ridiculous assumptions about other posters and their views of a player because you can't broaden your definition of someone's style of play.

Nothing. You are making it complicating. Kadri is known for his scoring. He is paid for his scoring. All players are required to play some sort of defense or get physical when Randy is coaching.

There is no ridiculous assumptions. I see these guys for what they are and what they said. But, yes Jughead waits for Kadri to have a bad stretch of games or something bad happen and he will appear with half ass compliments and then propose a trade. He also, proposed a trade in this thread.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
=

For the record, I've maintained my belief that Kadri can put up 90 points a season when he's in his prime, so your argument can't simply be against posters who never foresaw good things from him, especially when the poster who called him a pest in the first place is not one of those people either. I absolutely love the kid. But he is also a pest, because of the way he plays the game. We should all be thrilled about this.

No, I'm not thrilled about it. I'm actually pissed. I don't want Kadri and Kessel doing pest work all day so they get injured or suspended by the league.

If the situation calls for it once in a while then fine. Get into a fight or nasty in the corners. But this is the NHL. You start to miss your top dogs and you are not beating even teams like Buffalo.

There are no easy wins.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Nothing. You are making it complicating. Kadri is known for his scoring. He is paid for his scoring. All players are required to play some sort of defense or get physical when Randy is coaching.

There is no ridiculous assumptions. I see these guys for what they are and what they said. But, yes Jughead waits for Kadri to have a bad stretch of games or something bad happen and he will appear with half ass compliments and then propose a trade. He also, proposed a trade in this thread.

Jughead's not the poster I'm talking about, he never called Kadri a pest. You see your own definition of a pest and decide that the people who use the term, myself included maybe, don't believe in Kadri as an offensive player, which, being completely unfounded in actual reality, would be a ridiculous assumption.

Kadri's not physical because of Randy Carlyle, he's physical because he's Nazem Kadri and that's the way he plays the game.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
No, I'm not thrilled about it. I'm actually pissed. I don't want Kadri and Kessel doing pest work all day so they get injured or suspended by the league.

If the situation calls for it once in a while then fine. Get into a fight or nasty in the corners. But this is the NHL. You start to miss your top dogs and you are not beating even teams like Buffalo.

There are no easy wins.

Don't really know what to say about this. Guys like Wendel Clark, Maurice Richard, etc. are heralded for their ability to be mean sonsab****es while being offensively gifted as well, it's part of that "Good ol' Canadian" style of hockey. If you're not a fan of that, then you're missing out, because those kinds of players are awesome.

I guess you don't want guys to block shots either because they could end up injured?

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Jughead's not the poster I'm talking about, he never called Kadri a pest. You see your own definition of a pest and decide that the people who use the term, myself included maybe, don't believe in Kadri as an offensive player, which, being completely unfounded in actual reality, would be a ridiculous assumption.

Kadri's not physical because of Randy Carlyle, he's physical because he's Nazem Kadri and that's the way he plays the game.

You can get physical at any time. You can't score if you don't have the hands. There is nothing a coach can do about that.

I see Gardiner being more physical under Randy. Gardiner is more physical than Kadri against the boards.

Why isn't he praised for his physical play? That's not his greatest attribute.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Don't really know what to say about this. Guys like Wendel Clark, Maurice Richard, etc. are heralded for their ability to be mean sonsab****es while being offensively gifted as well, it's part of that "Good ol' Canadian" style of hockey. If you're not a fan of that, then you're missing out, because those kinds of players are awesome.

I guess you don't want guys to block shots either because they could end up injured?

Wendel Clark is not a pest. He would be a power forward. Strong physically and ability to score.

A pest is not necessarily strong and they definitely lack in the ability to score.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Also, Brad Marchand finished 1st on the Bruins in scoring last year, and 5th the year before. And was 3rd in scoring during the Playoffs the year they won the Stanley Cup.

During a 48 game season.

How did Marchand fair during regular seasons?

I'd rather have Bergeron or Krejci any game over the rat Marchand. Certainly, Marchand can go out and stir it up, and give the team some excitement/energy at times. That's his forte, and a big reason he does so well. Bergeron and Krejci are just much better players who don't have to act like idiots and can be played 18-19 minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad