Confirmed with Link: Kadri Suspended 3 Games

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Wendel Clark is not a pest. He would be a power forward. Strong physically and ability to score.

A pest is not necessarily strong and they definitely lack in the ability to score.

Only because you made up that rule for some reason. You make an exception for power-forwards, allowing yourself to enjoy both aspects of your game, and then completely take that away from people who believe Kadri is both a skilled offensive player and a pest.

During a 48 game season.

How did Marchand fair during regular seasons?

I'd rather have Bergeron or Krejci any game over the rat Marchand. Certainly, Marchand can go out and stir it up, and give the team some excitement/energy at times. That's his forte, and a big reason he does so well. Bergeron and Krejci are just much better players who don't have to act like idiots and can be played 18-19 minutes a night.

Like I said, Marchand was 5th on the team in scoring the full season before last, and 3rd in their Stanley Cup-winning Playoff run, and I only brought those numbers up because ECanuck said that pests didn't finish top-5 on their team in scoring.

Whether you would take Bergeron or Krejci over Marchand is irrelevant to whether or not someone can be both skilled and a pest.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Agreed, but the target for Kadri shouldn't be Marchand, but I could understand if that is where he topped out it wouldn't be a disappointment. Marchand is a good role player.

And it's not, in my opinion. His skill level will be closer to the Bergerons and Krejcis when all is said and done, but instead of being an elite 2-way defensive C (a part of his game he could still very well develop), he'll be an elite pest, specializing in taking the body and agitating the opposition, all while putting up great point totals with his elite skill.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Only because you made up that rule for some reason. You make an exception for power-forwards, allowing yourself to enjoy both aspects of your game, and then completely take that away from people who believe Kadri is both a skilled offensive player and a pest.

Like I said, Marchand was 5th on the team in scoring the full season before last, and 3rd in their Stanley Cup-winning Playoff run, and I only brought those numbers up because ECanuck said that pests didn't finish top-5 on their team in scoring.

Whether you would take Bergeron or Krejci over Marchand is irrelevant to whether or not someone can be both skilled and a pest.

Choosing exceptions to the rule to prove a point. Here you are comparing Kadri to Marchand. Again, Kadri is relied to score and dish out the puck to his wingers. He MUST do this because that's his role. Boston relies on Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Iginla, Erickson before they would in Marchand.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Choosing exceptions to the rule to prove a point. Here you are comparing Kadri to Marchand. Again, Kadri is relied to score and dish out the puck to his wingers. He MUST do this because that's his role. Boston relies on Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Iginla, Erickson before they would in Marchand.

The only reason I brought up Marchand's stats was because you said pests didn't finish top-5 on the team in scoring. Kadri is more skilled than Marchand, and yes he is relied on offensively, more-so than Marchand, but that does not mean he is relied on solely for offence or that he can't play a more well-rounded game. You yourself talked about power-forwards being major physical presences while also putting up point totals, so if you allow yourself to make both aspects of their game equally important and part of the same package, why can't the same be done for two-way forwards who bring a strong defensive game, or even pests, who play with physicality and aggression despite a smaller frame?

On top of that, none of the other Bruins you listed are solely offensive players utilized only for point-production. Bergeron, Krejci and Eriksson all have good defensive acumen, and Iginla and Lucic play a power game. None of these guys are one-dimensional offensive players, so why does Kadri have to be?

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
The only reason I brought up Marchand's stats was because you said pests didn't finish top-5 on the team in scoring. Kadri is more skilled than Marchand, and yes he is relied on offensively, more-so than Marchand, but that does not mean he is relied on solely for offence or that he can't play a more well-rounded game. You yourself talked about power-forwards being major physical presences while also putting up point totals, so if you allow yourself to make both aspects of their game equally important and part of the same package, why can't the same be done for two-way forwards who bring a strong defensive game, or even pests, who play with physicality and aggression despite a smaller frame?

On top of that, none of the other Bruins you listed are solely offensive players utilized only for point-production. Bergeron, Krejci and Eriksson all have good defensive acumen, and Iginla and Lucic play a power game. None of these guys are one-dimensional offensive players, so why does Kadri have to be?

Even with the exception of him producing more. He is still at about number 5 or below in the depth chart for the team. The other pests are going to fall in line of what I said.

No one is solely playing offense or defense. They are relied upon certain attributes more.
You want to define a player by their lesser attributes? There is nothing I can do about it.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Even with the exception of him producing more. He is still at about number 5 or below in the depth chart for the team. The other pests are going to fall in line of what I said.

No one is solely playing offense or defense. They are relied upon certain attributes more.
You want to define a player by their lesser attributes? There is nothing I can do about it.

It's more about defining players by all of their above-average qualities, not just one.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
A goalie is treated differently than any other player on the ice. How many times has Kadri had such encounters with goalies that lead you to believe that he would intentionally make such a play toward a goalie all in an effort to spark his team?

You also have not addressed your very obvious oversight on how the play unfolded. There is proof that the puck was in fact loose in between Backstrom's pad before going wide. Kadri's back to the play, his attempt at the deflection, his rush toward Backstrom while the puck was loose, his head following the puck at the exact moment it was going wide while he was simultaneously collided with Backstrom all in a span of a second...all of this suggests an unintentional but reckless play.

Yes the puck hit Backstrom and went behind his pad, but if you look at the replay Kadri stops skating for 2-3 seconds before barrling overtop of Backstrom. I have showed you guys this replay many a times, don't believe me then that's on you, were just going to have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Kadri is literally one foot away from Backstrom while the puck is between Backstrom's legs with an open net. The time between that and the collision is literally fractions of a second. Not 2. Not 3. Fractions. With his forward motion, probably about a tenth of a second.

If I was Kadri's coach and he was 1 foot away from a puck that was behind the goalie with a wide open net and he chose to peel off to avoid the goalie who was out of his crease rather than going for the goal, he'd be riding pine.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Kadri is literally one foot away from Backstrom while the puck is between Backstrom's legs with an open net. The time between that and the collision is literally fractions of a second. Not 2. Not 3. Fractions. With his forward motion, probably about a tenth of a second.

If I was Kadri's coach and he was 1 foot away from a puck that was behind the goalie with a wide open net and he chose to peel off to avoid the goalie who was out of his crease rather than going for the goal, he'd be riding pine.

I posted the timing for his reference and Kingstonian has yet to respond. Kadri skated with his back to Backstrom, looked for the deflection, turned around and collided with Backstrom ALL at the 12:57 mark. You are absolutely correct, the entire thing unfolded in fractions of a second NOT 3 seconds. The suspension all boils down to whether Kadri made any effort to avoid the collision. He didn't simply because he was following the puck and gave himself 0 time to react to the body in front of him. That's on Kadri but it proves nothing about intent.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I posted the timing for his reference and Kingstonian has yet to respond. Kadri skated with his back to Backstrom, looked for the deflection, turned around and collided with Backstrom ALL at the 12:57 mark. You are absolutely correct, the entire thing unfolded in fractions of a second NOT 3 seconds. The suspension all boils down to whether Kadri made any effort to avoid the collision. He didn't simply because he was following the puck and gave himself 0 time to react to the body in front of him. That's on Kadri but it proves nothing about intent.

My post was supposed to be quoting Kingstonian, not you. There must have been an error in the quotation that made it appear that I was quoting you. I agree completely and have no big problem with him being suspended (though it would be nice to see some consistency). My problem comes with people making stuff up like "he was going through the crease" or "he had 3 seconds before impact". One foot before colliding he is looking at the puck between Backstrom's legs. Where he is going and what he is doing is obvious. Without a body being outside the crease, he'd have space to avoid. We can't say he would have avoided much like we can't say he intended to go through the crease (the only time he ends up there is after colliding with a body outside the crease). What we can say is everything about it looks like a guy trying to play the puck, something which happens every game. Had he stuck his elbow out to take a piece on the way by, different story. He didn't. All the same, he needs to do his best to avoid according to the rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad