Confirmed with Link: Kadri Suspended 3 Games

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Didn't Reimer get a concussion from Gionta's hit?

Yes Kadri should of got suspended but the inconsistency from Shanahan is ridiculous, that damn fool plays favorites and is obviously biased. Thus far 4 Leafs have got suspended this year (Kessel,Clarkson,Ashton,Kadri), that's unreal.

Of the 4 Leaf players suspended this year which one or more of these suspensions weren't justified by Shanahan if you think he's biased toward the Leafs in your opinion?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Of the 4 Leaf players suspended this year which one or more of these suspensions weren't justified by Shanahan if you think he's biased toward the Leafs in your opinion?

Their all justified when its against the leafs. A 6'8 goon attacking your superstar player and he doesn't even get suspended, a 5'8 midget running over your starting goalie 5 games into the season giving him a major concussion, and he doesn't get suspended. Nash hitting some player in the back with a flying elbow and doesn't get suspended, yet a few days later Lupul hitting Hedman in the chin gets him a suspension. Oh and Lucic running over Miller blatantly gets no suspension yet Kadri running out of room running into Backstrom gets him a suspension.

The leafs deserved their suspension but so did 6'8 goon, 5'8 midget and Nash and Lucic, yet they got how many games? 0.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

I would say Kessel getting 3 for slashing Scott, not saying it wasn't suspension worthy but it wasn't worth 3, more like 1. Ashton I thought was a fair suspension for his antics, Clarkson got the mandatory 10 gamer for leaving the bench and I thought Kadri's was a bit lenient (but then again I believe if you injure a player you should sit out for as long as the injured is out).

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

It's not about the fact that they were suspended, it's the fact other guys got away with fewer or no games at all for similar incidents. That's what has me so pissed off anyway.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Their all justified when its against the leafs. A 6'8 goon attacking your superstar player and he doesn't even get suspended, a 5'8 midget running over your starting goalie 5 games into the season giving him a major concussion, and he doesn't get suspended. Nash hitting some player in the back with a flying elbow and doesn't get suspended, yet a few days later Lupul hitting Hedman in the chin gets him a suspension.

The leafs deserved their suspension but so did 6'8 goon, 5'8 midget and Nash, yet they got how many games? 0.

I agree the league plays favourites, not so much with teams but players. Scott should have been given a match penalty for attempting to injure Kessel plus a few games on top. Gionta should have been sidelined for as long as Reimer was injured, and Nash should have gotten 20 games for his hit.

That being said we aren't talking about the other teams here, this is about what Kadri did last night, I feel people are trying to justify it by saying "oh well so and so did this and should have gotten x amount of games", no lets leave the other teams/players out of it for a change.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Backstrom was on the very edge of the crease - his pads may have been a few inches over, his upper body may have been a few inches in. Regardless, it has no bearing - Backstrom was allowed to be where he was and Kadri was obliged to make some type of effort to minimize the collision but he chose to do the opposite. Kadri had both time and space to do so - Backstrom being in the crease or out of it does not matter.

How was Kadri going where the puck was, if the puck was never in the crease? He flew right through the crease with enough force to send Backstrom flying and injure him?

It looked entirely intentional to me, but I trust Shanahan/League's opinion over mine. They are better judges than me (and have less bias).

Backstrom's location matters entirely when your entire premise (no one else's) is that Kadri was going through the crease. It doesn't matter how many ways you try to argue it, the photos clearly show Backstrom's entire body outside the crease. I'm not sure if you've never seen the size or width of a goalie in equipment but rest assured, it takes up a fair bit of space. All space in which Kadri could have stopped or turned. The only way you can suggest he was going through the crease without assumption is to remove the large obstacle he ran into prior to ever getting to the crease. The puck was where the goalie was (outside the crease) which is exactly where Kadri went as does every other player every single game. That he did not stop in no way, shape or form says he intended to go through the crease. If you value the league's opinion so much, you'd note that more than once they said there was no intent but that he has a responsibility to try and avoid.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This!!! The puck was tipped (either by Kadri or Backstrom) and it went wide of the net, it was nowhere near Backstrom when Kadri made contact, so yea it was intentional.

Knowing that this occurs at full speed, are you sure you want to stick with that answer? See that little black circular thing between Backstrom's legs?

3502j42.png

Last edited:

jughead42*

Way too much whine in this thread. If we want our guys to play with the ol' truculence that everyone loves we're going to find ourselves in Shanahan's office once in a while. The league isn't out to get us or anything like that, we've done some stupid stuff and got punished for it. Other people have done other things and gotten away with it, but that's the way things go. Your little brother causes some trouble and gets away with it, but you do the same and get 5 across the ass from the old man. Punishment is never doled out fairly, man up and deal with it.

It's not uncommon in the NHL for teams to miss the playoffs by only a point or two. Kadri's stupid actions with Bozak and Bolland out of the lineup cost us two points already, and it's not in any way ridiculous to suggest that his stupidity could conceivably be the reason we miss the playoffs when the season winds up. That's unacceptable to me more so than the fact that Shanahan is picking on us. Quit playing a shell game to shift blame on anybody but the golden child. He messed up big time. Trade him.

mikebel111*

Way too much whine in this thread. If we want our guys to play with the ol' truculence that everyone loves we're going to find ourselves in Shanahan's office once in a while. The league isn't out to get us or anything like that, we've done some stupid stuff and got punished for it. Other people have done other things and gotten away with it, but that's the way things go. Your little brother causes some trouble and gets away with it, but you do the same and get 5 across the ass from the old man. Punishment is never doled out fairly, man up and deal with it.

It's not uncommon in the NHL for teams to miss the playoffs by only a point or two. Kadri's stupid actions with Bozak and Bolland out of the lineup cost us two points already, and it's not in any way ridiculous to suggest that his stupidity could conceivably be the reason we miss the playoffs when the season winds up. That's unacceptable to me more so than the fact that Shanahan is picking on us. Quit playing a shell game to shift blame on anybody but the golden child. He messed up big time. Trade him.

U have no idea wat ur talking about.trade kadri is a stupid idea. He ran out of room when driving to net. Yeah he should always be on outside. He should never go to net. Ur making ur self look bad here. I bet if it was someone else, u would say nothing

You miss frattin. I get it

Dallas Eakins*

I believe if you injure a player you should sit out for as long as the injured is out).

I assume I don't need to point out how wrong this is.... injuries shouldn't even be factored in, it should all be about intent. By your logic a player who accidentally collides with someone and causes an injury deserves more games than a headhunter who lays out a hit that doesn't cause an injury despite his attempt.

Beyond absurd.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

We'll make the playoffs. The golden child will come back to snipe goalies again. With the puck that is.

When Bolland returns; we'll be ready to go on winning streaks again.

Bozak will be back soon too.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
This!!! The puck was tipped (either by Kadri or Backstrom) and it went wide of the net, it was nowhere near Backstrom when Kadri made contact, so yea it was intentional.

Is something wrong with your eyes?

In the slow motion replay, it was less than a second where the puck was in between Backstrom's pads and then went wide. Kadri's back was to the goalie looking for a deflection, when the puck went passed him, he turned around and the puck was in fact in the vicinity of Backstrom's pads and by the time the collision was taking place the puck was sliding wide of the net. You can even see on the replay that Kadri was looking at Backstrom at the time the puck was in the crease area and you can see RIGHT before the collision, Kadri turns his head in the same direction as the puck is going. It's a pretty sound argument that it wasn't intentional but rather reckless because Kadri was too focused on the puck and not on his surroundings.

The game moves quickly and you need to make quick decisions. They are professionals and should be held accountable for making decisions that cause danger to other players but breaking down a frame by frame analysis of a play that happens in literally less than a second doesn't provide reasonable proof of intention. People on here like to throw around 'intention' without having any real lick of reasonable evidence that a player did something intentionally. Yes, it made perfect sense for Kadri to intentionally hit the back up in the head so that his team would have to score on the hottest goalie in the league in order to win the game. Sound game plan.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I assume I don't need to point out how wrong this is.... injuries shouldn't even be factored in, it should all be about intent. By your logic a player who accidentally collides with someone and causes an injury deserves more games than a headhunter who lays out a hit that doesn't cause an injury despite his attempt.

Beyond absurd.

Sorry I should have clarified it better, if a player headshots a player, hits a player from behind, swings his stick at a player or runs a goalie and it causes an injury then the player should sit out as long as the injured player is out.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Is something wrong with your eyes?

In the slow motion replay, it was less than a second where the puck was in between Backstrom's pads and then went wide. Kadri's back was to the goalie looking for a deflection, when the puck went passed him, he turned around and the puck was in fact in the vicinity of Backstrom's pads and by the time the collision was taking place the puck was sliding wide of the net. You can even see on the replay that Kadri was looking at Backstrom at the time the puck was in the crease area and you can see RIGHT before the collision, Kadri turns his head in the same direction as the puck is going. It's a pretty sound argument that it wasn't intentional but rather reckless because Kadri was too focused on the puck and not on his surroundings.

The game moves quickly and you need to make quick decisions. They are professionals and should be held accountable for making decisions that cause danger to other players but breaking down a frame by frame analysis of a play that happens in literally less than a second doesn't provide reasonable proof of intention. People on here like to throw around 'intention' without having any real lick of reasonable evidence that a player did something intentionally. Yes, it made perfect sense for Kadri to intentionally hit the back up in the head so that his team would have to score on the hottest goalie in the league in order to win the game. Sound game plan.

I never said his intention was to injure the goalie, I said I felt his intention was to bump him to get him off his game and to spark his team. Lets be honest Kadri's a guy who walks the line, he's a pest and his game thrives on getting under the oppositions skin, that is what I felt he was trying to do on the play.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Sorry I should have clarified it better, if a player headshots a player, hits a player from behind, swings his stick at a player or runs a goalie and it causes an injury then the player should sit out as long as the injured player is out.

You don't want to go down that road.

Hypothetically, let's say Crosby hits some 3rd line player by accident. He goes out and has incentives not to come back. Keeping Crosby out of the league and helping his team by keeping Crosby out.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
You don't want to go down that road.

Hypothetically, let's say Crosby hits some 3rd line player by accident. He goes out and has incentives not to come back. Keeping Crosby out of the league and helping his team by keeping Crosby out.

If he hits a player cleanly and injures him then obviously no suspension, I'm talking about a dirty play (headshot, hit from behind etc), lets say Crosby headshots Stamkos (using him as an example) and Stamkos is out 3-4 weeks with a concussion then yea Crosby too should sit out those 3-4 weeks as well.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I never said his intention was to injure the goalie, I said I felt his intention was to bump him to get him off his game and to spark his team. Lets be honest Kadri's a guy who walks the line, he's a pest and his game thrives on getting under the oppositions skin, that is what I felt he was trying to do on the play.

For the love of God man. This kid was about a point per game last season. This season not too shabby. Being a pest is not what the coaches count on him to be.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
For the love of God man. This kid was about a point per game last season. This season not too shabby. Being a pest is not what the coaches count on him to be.

Yes he nearly got a point per game last season, but did you see him out there? Besides making elite passes, he was chirping the other team a lot, hitting guys a lot bigger then him, getting involved in after the whistle scrums. Yes, I'd say Kadri is a chippy guy who loves to pester the other team, if you feel differently then that's your poragative.

Kadri is at his best when he plays with a bur under his saddle, the thing going forward though is Kadri needs to better harnass it and cut down on the dirty plays such as headshotting guys and running the goalies. Stick with clean hits, verbal chirping and scrumming it up but keep the dirty plays out of it.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
If he hits a player cleanly and injures him then obviously no suspension, I'm talking about a dirty play (headshot, hit from behind etc), lets say Crosby headshots Stamkos (using him as an example) and Stamkos is out 3-4 weeks with a concussion then yea Crosby too should sit out those 3-4 weeks as well.

What if it is someone like Adam Hall, Chris Kelly or Ashton.

In a trade off with Crosby, Chara, Toews.

The player could claim he is not hundred percent. Keeping those players out longer than 3 weeks. Months and maybe a year or two.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

I don't know how you do it but you have been on an amazing long troll.
citizen_cane.gif

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Yes he nearly got a point per game last season, but did you see him out there? Besides making elite passes, he was chirping the other team a lot, hitting guys a lot bigger then him, getting involved in after the whistle scrums. Yes, I'd say Kadri is a chippy guy who loves to pester the other team, if you feel differently then that's your poragative.

Kadri is at his best when he plays with a bur under his saddle, the thing going forward though is Kadri needs to better harnass it and cut down on the dirty plays such as headshotting guys and running the goalies. Stick with clean hits, verbal chirping and scrumming it up but keep the dirty plays out of it.

verbal chirping and scrumming is not going to score you at a high rate. I could care less if he opens his mouth or doesn't say a word.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
What if it is someone like Adam Hall, Chris Kelly or Ashton.

In a trade of with Crosby, Chara, Toews.

The player could claim he is not hundred percent. Keeping those players out longer than 3 weeks. Months and maybe a year or two.

Then the league would need to tighten up on medical reports and clearance, if the player lies about his health then suspend him as well, bottom line its time to seriously get tough on these dirty rats out there before someone winds up dead.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Kadri should just play hockey and leave the games behind. If he needs a gimmick he'll never be a top end player. Have some class and try and emulate players like Toews, not players like Cooke/Marchand.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

A goalie is treated differently than any other player on the ice. How many times has Kadri had such encounters with goalies that lead you to believe that he would intentionally make such a play toward a goalie all in an effort to spark his team?

You also have not addressed your very obvious oversight on how the play unfolded. There is proof that the puck was in fact loose in between Backstrom's pad before going wide. Kadri's back to the play, his attempt at the deflection, his rush toward Backstrom while the puck was loose, his head following the puck at the exact moment it was going wide while he was simultaneously collided with Backstrom all in a span of a second...all of this suggests an unintentional but reckless play.

The context disagrees with your opinion and in your continued mission to throw the accusation at the player, you have provided no reasonable evidence to support your opinion. Kadri does have a tendency to play on the edge but that doesn't equal an intent to injure.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Kadri should just play hockey and leave the games behind. If he needs a gimmick he'll never be a top end player. Have some class and try and emulate players like Toews, not players like Cooke/Marchand.

Thank you this is what I have been trying to say all along about him! Kadri has elite skill and while he is at his best playing a chippy game he doesn't want to go 100% dirty out there and get a bad rep like a guy like Cooke or Torres (not saying he's anywhere near their level yet).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad