• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
You sure?

Yep.

Liles has negative value. Only way to trade him is to give up a good asset or take back another bad contact. Pretty straight forward. Better players available on the FA market that have far lessor risk.

I could see if both these contracts aren't done by camp, that the Leafs do see if they have anyone internally that can play the third line that and move Kulemin (2014 UFA) to give them another 1.25 million or so in cap space. I really don't like a third line of Bolland/McClement/Prospect though.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yep.

Liles has negative value. Only way to trade him is to give up a good asset or take back another bad contact. Pretty straight forward. Better players available on the FA market that have far lessor risk.

I could see if both these contracts aren't done by camp, that the Leafs do see if they have anyone internally that can play the third line that and move Kulemin (2014 UFA) to give them another 1.25 million or so in cap space. I really don't like a third line of Bolland/McClement/Prospect though.

I agree - if DN could have moved Liles by now, it would already be done. Another fairly bad contract that no one wants nor can properly fit under their cap.

Why the compliance buyout was used on Komi instead of Liles is the million dollar question..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree - if DN could have moved Liles by now, it would already be done. Another fairly bad contract that no one wants nor can properly fit under their cap.

Why the compliance buyout was used on Komi instead of Liles is the million dollar question..

Liles will play if Franson can't be signed is the million dollar answer.

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008
I assume you'd rather have Kadri than Clarkson no?

Don't ever make the mistake of assuming these general managers know anything. The main pre-requisite for getting hired is having worked in that capacity before - its not like some of these guys are savants.

I hate to choose because having both is better than having one..Kadri you'd like to have over Clarkson because he's younger and has more skill. Clarkson you'd rather have for the physical game and the toughness.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Yep.

You don't know what value Liles holds on the market. But any rate, JML at a 2.5m - 3m AAV (salary retained) is fair value in my eyes.

Trading Kulemin for capspace would be moronic asset management. You may as well bury Liles in the minors and save 925k if pennies is what you're looking for.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Liles will play if Franson can't be signed is the million dollar answer.

Unfortunately we don't have the cap space to sign both Franson and Kadri because of JML's contract .

You can try to spin this any way you want so you can pretend our GM's never ever make a mistake but at the end of the day if Nonis used our freebies on Grabo/JML and a regular b/o on Komi we'd be able resign our rfa's to reasonable deals .

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Nonis deals Liles now, then Franson has more leverage and can ask for more money.

Once we get a deal for both Kadri and Franson we like, we announce them and deal Liles.

How some of you don't get this concept is beyond me.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If Nonis deals Liles now, then Franson has more leverage and can ask for more money.

Once we get a deal for both Kadri and Franson we like, we announce them and deal Liles.

I don't think available cap space effects contract negotiations all that much.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If he deals him now and Franson won't sign, the back end will be pretty thin.
Seems pretty obvious but then again I'm assuming Nonis isn't an idiot. as a Leaf fan, I hope he doesn't prove me wrong.

Agreed.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Unfortunately we don't have the cap space to sign both Franson and Kadri because of JML's contract .

You can try to spin this any way you want so you can pretend our GM's never ever make a mistake but at the end of the day if Nonis used our freebies on Grabo/JML and a regular b/o on Komi we'd be able resign our rfa's to reasonable deals .

The cap space isn't like a credit card. If you only have $100 left on your card and you try to buy something for $200, the card will reject. Not the case with the cap. If the Leafs only have 5M in cap space, there's nothing stopping Nonis from spending $10 on Kadri and Franson if he wanted it. That would just mean that he's in a negative value of $5M and he needs to shed that excess amount before the season starts.

Of course, if he goes over the cap and needs to shed salary, every team will know that he's pretty much in desperation mode trying to trade players which will lower the trade value of the players.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
BSxMJTQCAAAvKVE.jpg

Nazz and the FatMan

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

So the Leafs just chose not to sign them earlier when they had 20 million in space? Or do you think just maybe that Nonis doesn't want to pay what they are asking. Liles helps the Leafs in the Franson negotiations.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
On the bright side its somewhat refreshing to have actual arguements with our prospects/players about their values rather then guys whom are desperate to sign any contract we offer.

Says something about the shape of our club vs the situation we were in recent years.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The cap space isn't like a credit card. If you only have $100 left on your card and you try to buy something for $200, the card will reject. Not the case with the cap. If the Leafs only have $5M in cap space, there's nothing stopping Nonis from spending $10M on Kadri and Franson if he wanted it. That would just mean that he's in a negative value of $5M and he needs to shed that excess amount before the season starts.

Of course, if he goes over the cap and needs to shed salary, every team will know that he's pretty much in desperation mode trying to trade players which will lower the trade value of the players.

Edit: accidentally wrote $10 instead of $10M and it's saying my edit is too short so this is an explanation to kill some space in the text box.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

What if he moves Liles AND can't sign Franson?

Me thinks Nonis could move either fairly easily, but doing so at the moment makes no sense.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

Agreed with the reality of what you've said. I wonder how the bolded part of your response isn't talked about more around here in regards to what the hell Nonis was thinking when he used a once-in-ten-years-kind-of-opportunity to buyout a guy with one year left on his deal? Did he have a trade in place for JML that swirled the bowl after he wasted such a gift by using that golden wrapper on Komi?

I still like Nonis and hope this all pans out well but it's interesting discussion fodder.

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008
I think that we'll get Franson and Kadri re-signed. What scares me the most is looking at who we have to re-sign next year

Phaneuf
Kessel
Reimer
Gardiner
McClement
Bolland
Kulemin

I probably wouldn't re-sign Bolland if he wanted the same salary or more..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad