Kadri, how is this even possible?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Doesn't Kadri-Marleau-Kapanen sound pretty enticing as well? That would be a likely line if all healthy(and Willy playing well). Wouldn't it?

I'd be fine with that line.

We can start by ignoring cap ... all players under the cap is what matters.

IMO I don't care if Nylander plays 1st. or 3rd. line.

If the best team has a 3rd. line of :

Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
or
Kadri-Nylander-Brown
or
Matthews-Tavares-Marner

we don't complain right?

I suspect Nylander will end up back with Matthews, but if he stays with Kadri and they become a dominant line that's fine with me as well.

Reactions: The Apologist

RLF

May 5, 2014
I'd be fine with that line.

We can start by ignoring cap ... all players under the cap is what matters.

IMO I don't care if Nylander plays 1st. or 3rd. line.

If the best team has a 3rd. line of :

Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
or
Kadri-Nylander-Brown
or
Matthews-Tavares-Marner

we don't complain right?

I suspect Nylander will end up back with Matthews, but if he stays with Kadri and they become a dominant line that's fine with me as well.

I was more talking about the Hyman injury part. I don't think we need Hyman injured to come up with a great 3rd line. if all healthy and Nylander back to form...I could envision the lineup looking like

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Kapanen

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It really bothers me when people say that Kadri’s poor play is a result of his linemates, people need to stop making excuses for him.
Also this recent hot streak is obviously due to his linemates. Once his linemates cool down we will see that downward trend again. It could take a few more years but eventually we are going to see statistical evidence of his decline.

A number of us have said Kadri wasn't playing his best for a while there, I didn't notice anyone making excuses myself (not saying you're wrong, it's possible I just missed it). We were also saying that everyone has their ups and downs, that's inevitable and Kadri is mentally tough, he's been through it all before and always keeps a good attitude so he's the last person anyone should be worried about, things will pick up. Hey guess what, we were right! :)

You're definitely right that we will see statistical evidence of his decline. He's gonna have to decline first though. ;)

I've not been Kadris biggest fan, I think he crosses the line sometimes, or at least, had in the past. That said, he is becoming a more complete player and is precisely the kind of guy we need for the playoffs.

He isn't playing as reckless, he is generating many opportunities for himself and teammates, probably hit more posts than any other player in the league this year. He's strong on the puck, playing good two way hockey and doesn't get as frustrated on the ice (he still does at times, but less than in the past).

If he plays as he can in the playoffs, he will be a major cog. I don't even care about player points this year, I know we ll get caught up in it, I want to see this team go deep in the playoffs and win. That's going to require unselfish players, working together as a unit, fighting hard through adversity. I've seen Kadri do that this year.

Great post! Some people are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hung up on points. I'm with you myself, I just want to go deep in the playoffs and win, that's it. And Kadri is exactly the type of player who thrives when the games get tougher as the do in the playoffs and I wish we had a few more like him in that sense. Kadri's such a beauty and I believe the best from him is yet to come. :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Great post! Some people are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hung up on points. I'm with you myself, I just want to go deep in the playoffs and win, that's it. And Kadri is exactly the type of player who thrives when the games get tougher as the do in the playoffs and I wish we had a few more like him in that sense. Kadri's such a beauty and I believe the best from him is yet to come. :)

I'm betting he keeps his head better this year.

Have to wonder whether he'd have made the difference last year had he been in the games.

Reactions: The Apologist

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm betting he keeps his head better this year.

He just has to. I don't even want to think about it TBH, if he were to get suspended again I'm going to lose my mind. If I'm Babcock, I'm having a talk with him before the playoffs start and reminding him how important he is to the team blah blah blah. It doesn't have to be long talk but the point needs to be made.

Have to wonder whether he'd have made the difference last year had he been in the games.

Yeah but you could say that about a bunch of other things as well. Bottom line for me is that we got our heads handed to us in the 3rd period of game 7 and we did that as a team. All for one and one for all. I'm hoping we do much better this time around.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He just has to. I don't even want to think about it TBH, if he were to get suspended again I'm going to lose my mind. If I'm Babcock, I'm having a talk with him before the playoffs start and reminding him how important he is to the team blah blah blah. It doesn't have to be long talk but the point needs to be made.

Yeah but you could say that about a bunch of other things as well. Bottom line for me is that we got our heads handed to us in the 3rd period of game 7 and we did that as a team. All for one and one for all. I'm hoping we do much better this time around.
Yep. Kadri screwed up and put his team in a bad position, but what about Freddie shitting the bed in 4/7 games? What about the team failing to score in the game where Bergeron was out and they outshot and outchanced them while getting the home matchups? What about Matthews and Nylander disappearing? Bozak line getting eaten alive by Debrusk line? Just a lot of all around disappointments.

Anyways nice to see that Kadri's on ice shooting luck is starting to change for both him and his teammates. He's generating quality chances every game so hopefully he can continue to convert them.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Interestingly, that chart assumes a 53 point finish.

Buy all the anti-aging products you like. The economy thanks you.

giphy.gif

He's in one of those Kadri streaks again, I think by the end of the year 53 points might be low for his pace. You can always tell when he is about to start a Kadri streak, he has multiple games in a row where he rings at least one shot off the bar, then you get 6 points in 3 games.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yep. Kadri screwed up and put his team in a bad position, but what about Freddie ****ting the bed in 4/7 games? What about the team failing to score in the game where Bergeron was out and they outshot and outchanced them while getting the home matchups? What about Matthews and Nylander disappearing? Bozak line getting eaten alive by Debrusk line? Just a lot of all around disappointments.

Anyways nice to see that Kadri's on ice shooting luck is starting to change for both him and his teammates. He's generating quality chances every game so hopefully he can continue to convert them.

Good point if we had made it past Boston, we would have had a tired Andersen with a Tampa Bay team that was on fire. Probably would have been a 4 game sweep.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Good point if we had made it past Boston, we would have had a tired Andersen with a Tampa Bay team that was on fire. Probably would have been a 4 game sweep.
Yeah I'm a bit concerned, he's been Vezina calibre this season but he's on track to play 67-68 games.... I was hoping his workload would get reduced to ~60.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
A number of us have said Kadri wasn't playing his best for a while there, I didn't notice anyone making excuses myself (not saying you're wrong, it's possible I just missed it). We were also saying that everyone has their ups and downs, that's inevitable and Kadri is mentally tough, he's been through it all before and always keeps a good attitude so he's the last person anyone should be worried about, things will pick up. Hey guess what, we were right! :)

You're definitely right that we will see statistical evidence of his decline. He's gonna have to decline first though. ;)
I was just being a sarcastic ass. I’ll defend Kadri to the grave. He was having some focusing issues for a short stretch but he’s adjusting to a different role this year. He is a team first player so he takes his time adapting naturally instead of pushing it. I have an irrational longing to see Kadri play over 1000 games entirely in the blue and white and ultimately retiring as a Leaf

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yeah I'm a bit concerned, he's been Vezina caliber this season but he's on track to play 67-68 games.... I was hoping his workload would get reduced to ~60.

I wouldn't worry about it, goalies like to play as much as possible, it keeps them in game mode.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was just being a sarcastic ass. I’ll defend Kadri to the grave. He was having some focusing issues for a short stretch but he’s adjusting to a different role this year. He is a team first player so he takes his time adapting naturally instead of pushing it. I have an irrational longing to see Kadri play over 1000 games entirely in the blue and white and ultimately retiring as a Leaf

LOL, I don't have the best memory for monikers around here. I know it's not the most likely outcome but I also want to see Kadri retire a Maple Leaf, picturing him playing for any other team just doesn't seem right.

:cheers:

Reactions: meng666

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I wouldn't worry about it, goalies like to play as much as possible, it keeps them in game mode.
He looked a little burned out to end the year last season though, and he had one of the heaviest workloads in the game in terms of a shots per game basis. Leafs will have to tighten up more if they expect him to play that much.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He looked a little burned out to end the year last season though, and he had one of the heaviest workloads in the game in terms of a shots per game basis. Leafs will have to tighten up more if they expect him to play that much.

Yeah I remember someone saying that Holtby had a reduced load last season and that's why he was so good in the playoffs, makes me wonder for sure. Others think it doesn't matter, boy I sure hope they're right because it sure doesn't look like Andersen's gonna be any more rested than he was last spring.

Reactions: 1specter

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We should enjoy Kadri while we can, I really don't see how he remains with the team after his deal his up unless he takes one hell of a team friendly discount. I hope he does but I could also see him looking for 7-8 million a year, possible more as the cap goes up? It's really his last chance to get paid before a retirement contract.

Reactions: Pookie

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

He just seems to always go into mini-slumps a few times a season where he lets in soft goals. A high shot count doesn't mean much if your a 6'5" positional goalie, the leafs force a lot of perimeter shots against.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah I'm a bit concerned, he's been Vezina calibre this season but he's on track to play 67-68 games.... I was hoping his workload would get reduced to ~60.

I wonder if Fla would be interested in a Sparks for BobbyLou deal? :thumbu:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Looks like he is over his usual bad spell now and is up to 21 goals/54 points pace.

25-30 goals and 60 points would be great to see him reach....and hes not far off now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Looks like he is over his usual bad spell now and is up to 21 goals/54 points pace.

25-30 goals and 60 points would be great to see him reach....and hes not far off now.

55 to 54 points isn't too much of a downtrend so I guess I can live with it. Maybe he gets lucky and picks up that extra points somewhere down the road, who knows. ;)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
55 to 54 points isn't too much of a downtrend so I guess I can live with it. Maybe he gets lucky and picks up that extra points somewhere down the road, who knows. ;)

Are you sure about that :laugh: - you might miss conference title with that missing point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad