Kadri, how is this even possible?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
There is NO hugging allowed in this Bloodsport!
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bluelines

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Wait, is the debate here whether Kadri is worth that $4.5 million cap hit?

Um.. yeah he is. Two time 30 goal scoring centre who even with reduced ice-time this season looks likely to get 20/50, while playing as a 2-way checker with some grit. $4.5 million on a prime age above average 2C in todays NHL is a bargain. I get why other fans hate his guts sometime, he can be a bit dirty and while he is great at drawing penalties the diving in particular bugs the hell out of me as a hockey fan, it is pretty inarguably that his contract is well under market value, particularly given he is still just 28 and he signed that contract at age 26.

In fact after Morgan Rielly’s bonkers contract this is probably the best contact on the whole Leafs roster.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Um.. yeah he is. Two time 30 goal scoring centre who even with reduced ice-time this season looks likely to get 20/50, while playing as a 2-way checker with some grit. $4.5 million on a prime age above average 2C in todays NHL is a bargain. I get why other fans hate his guts sometime, he can be a bit dirty and while he is great at drawing penalties the diving in particular bugs the hell out of me as a hockey fan, it is pretty inarguably that his contract is well under market value, particularly given he is still just 28 and he signed that contract at age 26.

In fact after Morgan Rielly’s bonkers contract this is probably the best contact on the whole Leafs roster.
Nope. The debate is whether Kadris plus minus is abnormally low considering the rest of the team.

Ignore the rest of the tangents.

Reactions: NoName

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Nope. No one has questioned that.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Nope. The debate is whether Kadris plus minus is abnormally low considering the rest of the team.

Ignore the rest of the tangents.
He plays the checking line so... meh.

It is +\- , in the vast majority of cases the stat doesn’t mean much. As long as his main stats, and particularly per 60min stats look ok (that reduced prime ice-time was bound to hurt his traditional stats to a degree) then I think he is doing fine. Also a good signpost for how he is doing is the ratio of penalties drawn vs taken.

Look, when Matthews was hurt and Kadri was as a result slotted back into 2C we saw his numbers increase commensurate with his ice-time and new role as a go-to scorer. He is still the same player he was the last couple seasons, he just has a reduced offensive role because of how deep the Leafs are down the middle.

Reactions: The Apologist

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

As usual, a thread about any player evolves into many different debates so feel free to offer your opinion on whatever.

Reactions: RLF

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He plays the checking line so... meh.

It is +\- , in the vast majority of cases the stat doesn’t mean much. As long as his main stats, and particularly per 60min stats look ok (that reduced prime ice-time was bound to hurt his traditional stats to a degree) then I think he is doing fine. Also a good signpost for how he is doing is the ratio of penalties drawn vs taken.

Look, when Matthews was hurt and Kadri was as a result slotted back into 2C we saw his numbers increase commensurate with his ice-time and new role as a go-to scorer. He is still the same player he was the last couple seasons, he just has a reduced offensive role because of how deep the Leafs are down the middle.
Well said.
I guess the main counterpoint would be that his linemates do not seem to be suffering the same fate but a good portion of his minus numbers seem to be from short handed goals against.
Just odd that he was such an outlier.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Well said.
I guess the main counterpoint would be that his linemates do not seem to be suffering the same fate but a good portion of his minus numbers seem to be from short handed goals against.
I guess. It is one problematic stat of his that isn’t seen as a particularly valuable metric anyway, so I wouldn’t worry to much about it, as long as his main stats continue to be ok.

If his possession numbers, and production rate numbers take a nosedive along with his +\- then I think we can start to worry more. Until then it gets filed under the “meh” category for me.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So this is what it looks like with 22 G 31A for 53 PTS

20tgk0n.jpg

Polynomial Trend Line still shows a gradual descent has begun. Consistent with the age related performance data collected and studied.

There is an indication of slowing down. As age related performance data would show.

Here's where you get yourself all in bunches... it doesn't mean he's a crappy player. Even with declining production, he fits nicely into a 2C or 3C role on a variety of teams. He's still very, very capable on the PP. And though he doesn't hit as often any more... can still bring emotion into a game.

Just not as productive as he once was.

6 points in 3 games, he must have found the fountain of youth.

Reactions: saffronleaf

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just by the way speaking of +/- Kapanen @ +20 is best among all forwards on our roster - mind you I love this kid but is he the best forward on our roster?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What's that I see ... oh it's the "Kadri is in a decline" narrative flying out the window. Oh well, ridiculous as it was, it was at least entertaining for a little bit. Bon voyage. :laugh::laugh:

No worries, it's inevitable that Kadri will have a pointless game or three down the road, then I'm sure the trend line junkie will be doing his dance again.

:heart: Kadri!

RLF

May 5, 2014
Well said.

And so do the other 4 guys on the same unit. For Naz, it isn't that odd. He has been typically one of the lower +/- guys on the team the past few seasons...then again, so was Rielly until this season. He's been fine this year, but usage has been different. Rotating line mates. If Leafs continue to play like last couple of games and lines get more sorted, I am fairly confident he will be on the + side by end of season.

Reactions: The Apologist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad