Kadri, how is this even possible?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Welcome, my friends, to the show that never ends...
Kadri has to have the worst luck of any center in NHL history. To think, he's played with the worst collection of wingers EVER...

Except when scoring. He’s got better than average PDO.

PDO only counts though when in slump. Otherwise, can’t talk about luck.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You don't think that Kadri and Komarov being on the ice at the same time for most of the last three years constitutes similar usage? Got it.

Don’t you know?

Komarov was only a drag on Kadri when he’s slumping. Wasn’t a drag when he was putting up points during the first 1/4 of the season. Wasn’t a drag the season before.

Komarov even got blamed for Kadri’s slump on the PP... that he didn’t play on.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You don't think that Kadri and Komarov being on the ice at the same time for most of the last three years constitutes similar usage? Got it.

Your English comprehension needs work my friend. Whether Kadri's usage was similar to Komarov's usage or not was never a topic of discussion.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Your English comprehension needs work my friend. Whether Kadri's usage was similar to Komarov's usage or not was never a topic of discussion.
Well, you were the person who mentioned it. I knew it was just another attempt at diversion, but I answered you anyway.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Breaking down that number a bit:

He's -3 at even strength, where he's played softer minutes than earlier years and performed worse. This has been regardless of who has been on his line, even though Brown has been almost a constant. Main issue is not defensively, we just don't get scoring from that line as can be seen both in how much that line creates and how well they execute on those chances. That's hardly a surprise when you have a Kadri who sees goalposts in his dreams while largely playing with two offensively limited players like Lindholm and Brown. We've seen what such wingers can do even to offensive talents like Matthews and Nylander.

Another minus is from being on the ice for a shorthanded goal. The remaining four comes with the net empty.

To summarize: Over half of those minuses says little about his play. The rest are a combination of Kadri slumping personally, and mostly being forced to do pretty much the whole job in transition and chance generation, leading to a ineffective line.

Very thoughtful response - coming from some one who understand the game and is always close to accurate with his own analysis (with logical explanation

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Very thoughtful response - coming from some one who understand the game and is always close to accurate with his own analysis (with logical explanation

The challenge I have with that analysis is the premise that we don’t get scoring from his line.

So defensively, it skews to a minus. The theory is solid.

But in practice, the most frequent EV line combo is Kapanen-Marleau and Kadri. With a frequency nearly double that of the next most frequent combination of Brown-Kadri-Lindholm.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/nazem-kadri

The only minus player of the 6 is Kadri. And it’s not even close. -9 to Brown’s+1 (the smallest gap). A net of 10 goals.

Kappy’s Gap is 25 goals.

There’s something more than just less offensive linemates and a couple of empty netters. His linemates are doing well in all combinations. He is not.

Last edited:

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I can't believe people are blaming Kadri's linemates, this is on his shoulders alone. He has not been good for stretches this season, I was getting quite bothered by his lack of compete against Buffalo. He is capable of being much better than he has been, I think hearing all this talk about how much cash the kids will get and how much of a deal his contract is bothers him. He isn't fighting for pucks with the intersity he needs to on a consistent basis at all. Sure Brown is struggling to score but at least he's always fighting for the puck and moving his feet.

Reactions: Pookie

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Going back to last December Kadri has had 3 noteworthy slumps:

Last season, prior to Marner being put on his line in January: 18 GP 1 goal 0 assists 1 point
The first 9 games this season: 9 GP 0 goals 4 assists 4 points
And currently over the last few weeks: 11 GP 1 goal 2 assists 3 points

Kadri needs to find some consistency in his game or be shipped out, he isn't even hitting or trying to agitate the other team anymore which is what we have come to expect from him.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011

Last season, prior to Marner being put on his line in January: 18 GP 1 goal 0 assists 1 point

Kadri needs to find some consistency in his game or be shipped out, he isn't even hitting or trying to agitate the other team anymore which is what we have come to expect from him.
he has a limited NMC and isn’t going anywhere. Another post tonight and an impossible save by Bernier. Naz is here for the long run so just enjoy it.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
he has a limited NMC and isn’t going anywhere. Another post tonight and an impossible save by Bernier. Naz is here for the long run so just enjoy it.

He has a 10 team no trade clause, NOT a NMC. He can easily be traded.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

This year, however, he is getting assists and he his hitting a whole lot of posts and crossbars. Seems like bad luck more than anything else, and as we know, luck is awfully fickle.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I can't believe people are blaming Kadri's linemates, this is on his shoulders alone. He has not been good for stretches this season, I was getting quite bothered by his lack of compete against Buffalo. He is capable of being much better than he has been, I think hearing all this talk about how much cash the kids will get and how much of a deal his contract is bothers him. He isn't fighting for pucks with the intersity he needs to on a consistent basis at all. Sure Brown is struggling to score but at least he's always fighting for the puck and moving his feet.

Kadri's been one of our best and most consistent players ever since Babcock took over, we have to blame someone for that don't we?

Reactions: saffronleaf

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

He's -3 at even strength, where he's played softer minutes than earlier years and performed worse. This has been regardless of who has been on his line, even though Brown has been almost a constant. Main issue is not defensively, we just don't get scoring from that line as can be seen both in how much that line creates and how well they execute on those chances. That's hardly a surprise when you have a Kadri who sees goalposts in his dreams while largely playing with two offensively limited players like Lindholm and Brown. We've seen what such wingers can do even to offensive talents like Matthews and Nylander.

Another minus is from being on the ice for a shorthanded goal. The remaining four comes with the net empty.

To summarize: Over half of those minuses says little about his play. The rest are a combination of Kadri slumping personally, and mostly being forced to do pretty much the whole job in transition and chance generation, leading to a ineffective line.

Came to post something similar. Good work

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Came to post something similar. Good work

How do you account for the fact that the most frequent line combo for Kadri was with Kapanen-Marleau? Next most frequent combination is Brown-Kadri-Lindholm.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/nazem-kadri

The only minus player of the 6 is Kadri. And it’s not even close. -9 to Brown’s+1 (the smallest gap). A net of 10 goals.

Kappy’s gap is 25 goals.

As I said in a previous post, his linemates are doing well in all combinations. He is not.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
How do you account for the fact that the most frequent line combo for Kadri was with Kapanen-Marleau? Next most frequent combination is Brown-Kadri-Lindholm.

Nazem Kadri - Frozen Tools

Kappy’s gap is 25 goals.

As I said in a previous post, his linemates are doing well in all combinations. He is not.

Because if you were paying any attention, youd realize that this team has been struggling with depth scoring. Some of it is bad luck (Kadri's PDO is 97.9) some of it by design (Kadri ZS% is 42.58).

If you look at Marleau and Kapanen, their next more frequent combo is with Matthews who has been scoring at a significant pace.

Brown's a bit of an outlier because he has an even lower ZS% than Kadri, but his most frequent line combo is with Lindholm and Johnsson NOT Kadri. If I had to wager, that Lindholm line didnt see the same quality of competition as Kadri.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Excellent summary

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Because if you were paying any attention, youd realize that this team has been struggling with depth scoring. Some of it is bad luck (Kadri's PDO is 97.9) some of it by design (Kadri ZS% is 42.58).

If you look at Marleau and Kapanen, their next more frequent combo is with Matthews who has been scoring at a significant pace.

Brown's a bit of an outlier because he has an even lower ZS% than Kadri, but his most frequent line combo is with Lindholm and Johnsson NOT Kadri. If I had to wager, that Lindholm line didnt see the same quality of competition as Kadri.

Why do folks feel the need to explain away struggles?

His oZone starts at EV are higher than his best season.

His PDO, though below his career average isn’t used when it favours him. Last year for example, higher than his norm. Are the 55 points lucky?

Maybe a 50 point player last year?

His shots are missing the mark because he’s not able to convert his chances. Not luck. Not because Brown is his winger. Or Kapanen.

He’s just struggling. Clear to virtually everyone that last year was the start of a downward trend. Not a blip.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Apologist

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Why do folks feel the need to explain away struggles?
You mean why do people feel the need to discuss a player on a message board? Seems like good discussion to me.
His oZone starts at EV are higher than his best season.

His PDO, though below his career average isn’t used when it favours him. Last year for example, higher than his norm. Are the 55 points lucky?

Maybe a 50 point player last year?

His shots are missing the mark because he’s not able to convert his chances. Not luck. Not because Brown is his winger. Or Kapanen.

He’s just struggling. Clear to virtually everyone that last year was the start of a downward trend. Not a blip.
He was lucky to score 64 goals over the past two seasons. Nobody expected him to produce like that. Most thought he was a 50-55 point C and 20-25 goal man.

What's his 5v5 PDO like in those two years and his career overall anyways? Can't look it up right now.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You mean why do people feel the need to discuss a player on a message board? Seems like good discussion to me.

He was lucky to score 64 goals over the past two seasons. Nobody expected him to produce like that. Most thought he was a 50-55 point C and 20-25 goal man.

What's his 5v5 PDO like in those two years and his career overall anyways? Can't look it up right now.

Nazem Kadri Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

99.7 and 101.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad