Kadri hit deemed clean by NHL

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
That wasn't what I was saying!

Those players weren't on at the time of the play. I'm referring to the immediate ramifications of the event. It may not be Zach Smith next time it happens, do you think John Scott would have an issue with punching Nazem Kadri in the face?

If John scott attacked kadri, I expect a kessel type reaction and everyone jumping to his aid. There is no way kadri can fight scott no matter how good he learns to fight.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If John scott attacked kadri, I expect a kessel type reaction and everyone jumping to his aid. There is no way kadri can fight scott no matter how good he learns to fight.

That would start a real WWE type show where Orr et all. Punch out the opposing teams stars
Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux etc.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Those players weren't on at the time of the play. I'm referring to the immediate ramifications of the event. It may not be Zach Smith next time it happens, do you think John Scott would have an issue with punching Nazem Kadri in the face?

Depends... Does John Scott value his legs because I have a feeling Phil has taught Naz the art of the hack and slash.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Not sure where you're getting that. If Kadri continues to be a pest, he will run into what happened after the play. I'm simply saying it won't always be a Zach Smith that goes at him. Playing with that "edge" everyone loves comes with as many cons as pros. He'll have to be weary of guys like Smith, Neil, or worse is really all I'm saying. I don't think Lupul or Kulemin are the best guys to have your back when you want to play like Brad Marchand.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, different person saying the same crap in a different year. Kadri isn't dirty, plays hard, and has too much skill to be labelled a "pest". Players like Cooke and Avery are pests with dirty reputations in the League, not guys like Nazem. I don't think he will back down from anyone trying to play physical with him either, he doesn't need anyone to "have his back". Believe it or not, Kadri is respected amongst his peers.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012

You're funny, being way to paranoid here. And of course if that happens we'll just get Clarkson to jump off the bench and get suspended for 10 games again, everybody wins.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
League should make it a penalty for the player that hits the guy from behind but also the player that recieves the hit for intentionally putting himself in a vulnerable position - at the very least to get these kinds of plays out of the game

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Thats why Clarkson,Orr,Gleason,Bodie , Phaneuf, and McLaren are on the team for. And peopel wonder why "goons" or fighters are still on teams , because of this very situation. Also Kadri's been in several fights, especially as a guy who isn't that kind of player , he's fought in every level he's played, OHL, AHL and NHL

It's funny how certain people still can't get this through their heads. And then they cry when guys like Orr are in the lineup and claim they have no value. They certainly have value and we have see why in situations like this. Ottawa are a pretty tough team and yet they didn't touch Kadri other than the immediate response after the goal. Teams will never goon it up against us because we have the guys to send it right back at them 10x worse. Boston is really the only team that can match the number of tough guys we have (Orr, Mclaren, just had Fraser, Gleason, Bodie w/ Devane, Staubitz, Broll, Biggs, Macwilliam, Abney at lower levels). It is how the team has been built and it's certainly a big advantage in allowing our non-fighters to do whatever they want on the ice.

TmlStan

Oct 13, 2013
It's funny how certain people still can't get this through their heads. And then they cry when guys like Orr are in the lineup and claim they have no value. They certainly have value and we have see why in situations like this. Ottawa are a pretty tough team and yet they didn't touch Kadri other than the immediate response after the goal. Teams will never goon it up against us because we have the guys to send it right back at them 10x worse. Boston is really the only team that can match the number of tough guys we have (Orr, Mclaren, just had Fraser, Gleason, Bodie w/ Devane, Staubitz, Broll, Biggs, Macwilliam, Abney at lower levels). It is how the team has been built and it's certainly a big advantage in allowing our non-fighters to do whatever they want on the ice.

Why would they be scared of them?

They don't have to fight because of something called the instigator rule.

Orr is useless and i'd rather have someone with skill over him.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Have you ever played hockey at a high level?

If not it is quite difficult to explain the use of an enforcer even if he is just on the bench.

Instigator rule goes out the window when one of your skilled players are attacked.

For Example:

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
So if Kadri had injured him, it would have been completely Ceci's fault?

Yes. He was the one that put himself in that position, if he actually tried to brace the hit he wouldn't have gone face first into the boards. Kadri had him lined up for a perfectly clean hit until Ceci turned at the last second. I don't know what you saw, but Kadri barely had any time to react when he turned and he was already committed to the hit. Don't know why people always try to blame someone for the stupidity of another, that's part of what's wrong with the world today.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

The instigator rule is useless when you are talking about running star players....you attack my star we in return attack yours and to make it worse we will double it...

That is why they are called enforcers. Anyone and I mean anyone who does not understand the need for players like this has no idea at all about high level hockey....I have posted several times ......that Wilson our past coach had no idea of their value and consequently we played scared with our tail tucked and got ran out of arenas. This will never happen on a Carlyle coached team....did you not watch Kessel last night....enough said. I'm not talking about his goals by the way.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The instigator rule is useless when you are talking about running star players....you attack my star we in return attack yours and to make it worse we will double it...

That is why they are called enforcers. Anyone and I mean anyone who does not understand the need for players like this has no idea at all about high level hockey.... I have posted several times ......that Wilson our past coach had no idea of their value and consequently we played scared with our tail tucked and got ran out of arenas. This will never happen on a Carlyle coached team....did you not watch Kessel last night....enough said. I'm not talking about his goals by the way.

I agree with the bold.

I disagree with your implied premise that these types of players have to be Orr and Maclaren.

Look at Shawn Thornton, the guy had an awesome goal the other day. Orr and Maclaren dont have anywhere near that talent. For me that why I really liked Mike Brown the first season we had him, cause he had a certain level of ability (in his case his skating). Obviously Brown got a lot worse after his broken hand but that was the type of guy we needed.

Troy Bodie can be that guy in spurts, but I dont see him as a guy you can dress every night. But so far he has done well in his "3rd line role"

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Gretzky always had an enforcer with him.

The reason why you need one? when you're that good at playing at a contact sport, people want to hurt you.

This isn't Tennis, golf or swimming. This is a contact sport and whether you like it or not, you WANT to make the other team's best player ineffective. If that's causing him some injury, they will do it.

back during Gordie Howe days, whacking, slashing and breaking the other player's bones is "part" of the game.

So yes, we do need enforcers in the game simply to keep people playing "honest".

The NHL isn't some rec league. It's where people make MILLIONS of dollars. Believe me, when you make 100's of millions playing hockey, it's not about "fun and games". it's about feeding their families.

There's always going to be "dirty" players around. It's all part of human nature.

Orr doesn't contribute to scoring goals, assists or making a save every night but he does bring some intangible to the game like every other enforcer out there.

Last edited:

TheThrill81*

Gretzky always had an enforcer with him.

The reason why you need one? when you're that good at playing at a contact sport, people want to hurt you.

It also helped that Gretzky had eyes at the back of his head. So more often than not when someone tried to hit him, they would usually miss. :laugh:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Cecil's fault for turning his back. I'm amazed by the overwhelming number of fans that want players to ease up on hard hits. Full speed ahead and if you're worried about getting clobbered stay out of the corners. :laugh:

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
I cheered more for the non-call than the goal itself. I was 110% certain that Ceci drew a penalty - so happy that no arms went up.

I just hate when ANY player turns their back last minute. A few Leafs defensemen do it too and it drives me crazy.

Don't be stupid.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Cecil's fault for turning his back. I'm amazed by the overwhelming number of fans that want players to ease up on hard hits. Full speed ahead and if you're worried about getting clobbered stay out of the corners. :laugh:

Amen!!

Hockey it seems is turning into a p***y sport. Player sees a hit and turns his back then we seek the head of the player who made the hit. I'm tired of whining fans, especially Sens fans.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
League should make it a penalty for the player that hits the guy from behind but also the player that recieves the hit for intentionally putting himself in a vulnerable position - at the very least to get these kinds of plays out of the game

And people who get rear ended should be charged for careless driving

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
It also helped that Gretzky had eyes at the back of his head. So more often than not when someone tried to hit him, they would usually miss. :laugh:

Grex used to look at the glass to see where guys were commng, The reflection would show you where they are coming without him having to crank his head.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Codi Ceci admitted in post-match interview that he turned into the hit, so he does bare some of the responsibility.

It was a clean hit though - it looked tough, but that was more because of the distance Ceci was from the boards rather than it being a hit from behind.

In any event, rather than trying to kill Kadri, the Sens should have played on, instead of letting Nazzy get the puck into the slot for the goal.

No way was that going to be a suspension

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I don't think he intentionally turned his back, he was turning to play the puck, there was no dirty play here and it's being blown out of proportion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad