Proposal: Kadri for a blueliner

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
LOL. No it's not. I dunno if you've noticed, but we keep getting bounced out of the playoffs in the 1st round, the last few years.

Improving our D is FAR from a bad idea. And we can't improve the D by offering crap players. We need to give something very good to get something very good.
So give up the only guy with any sandpaper. Great suggestion. Are you sure you are a leafs fan?

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I'd give up kadri but you'd have to pry him from my hands with a legit #1 RD. I'm happy to add to Kadri to get it done but i'm not just doing a sideways move with one of the best center contracts in the game atm with what Kadri puts on the table.

Hes the ideal #3 center with grit. Can score like a dream too. On most teams hes an elite #2, but on our teams center depth mmmmm.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
So give up the only guy with any sandpaper. Great suggestion. Are you sure you are a leafs fan?

LOL. Yeah, like Kadri's "sandpaper" is a huge help to us.

And yes, I'd like my Leafs to improve their team and maybe win something some day, and this is one way to do it. Just because you're too short-sighted to see that their D needs improving and they've already got two great Centres and really don't need three, doesn't mean I'm not a real Leaf fan.

Kadri is a great player. That's why he'd get us a good D-man in return.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Could you please put some stats behind this claim.
Kadri has higher QoC , has shutdown line duties and has higher p/60 EV than ROR
Qoc is one stat points and coral and others state that schenn and ror are better centers.
Honestly for you to say a 50 pt center is better than 60 POINT center on worst team in hockey and schenn a 70 pt center is kinda silly. I don't see anyone here stating kadri is s 1c. Good luck with that

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Qoc is one stat points and coral and others state that schenn and ror are better centers.
Honestly for you to say a 50 pt center is better than 60 POINT center on worst team in hockey and schenn a 70 pt center is kinda silly. I don't see anyone here stating kadri is s 1c. Good luck with that

???

2017-2018 Points
Kadri - 55
ROR - 61
Schenn - 70

2016-2017
Kadri - 61
ROR - 55
Schenn - 55

Who are you calling a 50 point centre?

TOIQoC @ ES 2017-2018
Kadri 29.78
Schenn 29.59
O'Rielly 29.45

For reference, across the three teams, Kadri has the 2nd highest TOIQOC of any forward. Matthews is 1st, Marleau is 3rd. Schenn sits 8th, between Eichel at 7th, and Tarasenko at 9th. O'Rielly sits at 11th, between Steen at 10th, and Nylander at 12th. Evander Kane was the highest TOIQoC on the Sabres, Eichel was the highest TOIQoC centre, O'Rielly was 2nd. Schwartz was the highest Blue, Schenn was the highest TOIQoC centre. Matthews was the highest Leafs forward and C, Kadri ranked 2nd for forwards and C's.

2016-2017 TOIQoC
O'Rielly 29.66
Kadri 29.61
Schenn 28.93

Schenn and O'Rielly do have better Corsi rel, I'll give you that one. But if you want to talk about having 60 points on the worst team in hockey, I want to talk about how a good player's corsi rel should look when they're on the worst team in hockey.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Kadri's contract isn't as great as Leafs fans say. He's a good 3C without Marner. He'll score 30-40 points this year without the linemates he had last year.

His best year statistically was without Marner. Marner also isn’t a mainstay on his line.

Next...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

And yes, I'd like my Leafs to improve their team and maybe win something some day, and this is one way to do it. Just because you're too short-sighted to see that their D needs improving and they've already got two great Centres and really don't need three, doesn't mean I'm not a real Leaf fan.

Which good Dman do you think he would get? Seriously,do you know of any teams that need Kadri enough to give up a valuable Dman,preferably right handed! I can't think of any!
Besides now is not the time to trade Kadri, unless someone offers a ridiculous return. I want to see what this forward group can do,the Defense will sort itself out,won't be the best but will be far from the worst.

Reactions: Cotton

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
???

2017-2018 Points
Kadri - 55
ROR - 61
Schenn - 70

2016-2017
Kadri - 61
ROR - 55
Schenn - 55

Who are you calling a 50 point centre?

TOIQoC @ ES 2017-2018
Kadri 29.78
Schenn 29.59
O'Rielly 29.45

For reference, across the three teams, Kadri has the 2nd highest TOIQOC of any forward. Matthews is 1st, Marleau is 3rd. Schenn sits 8th, between Eichel at 7th, and Tarasenko at 9th. O'Rielly sits at 11th, between Steen at 10th, and Nylander at 12th. Evander Kane was the highest TOIQoC on the Sabres, Eichel was the highest TOIQoC centre, O'Rielly was 2nd. Schwartz was the highest Blue, Schenn was the highest TOIQoC centre. Matthews was the highest Leafs forward and C, Kadri ranked 2nd for forwards and C's.

2016-2017 TOIQoC
O'Rielly 29.66
Kadri 29.61
Schenn 28.93

Schenn and O'Rielly do have better Corsi rel, I'll give you that one. But if you want to talk about having 60 points on the worst team in hockey, I want to talk about how a good player's corsi rel should look when they're on the worst team in hockey.
Why don't you go back a few more years 60 POINT season was the best he has also had 39 and 45 POINT seasons. He has never been a 1c in his career and corsi possession stats are far better for schenn and ror. Kadri is not and never will be a 1c. Ror and schenn have proven they are. Also your qoc numbers are barley different get a grip.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Leafs need to keep Kadri, they need to keep their roster players and trade picks for some defense, how about Jeff Petry to the Leafs for their 2019 1st?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Now Carey Price at 2 mil retained for the next 8 years, so you get him at 8.5 mil for a 2020 1st and what ever cap dumps you wanna give us to fit Carey under the cap.

So

Carey Price at 8.5 mil x 8 years

For

2020 1st, Andersen, other cap dumps

Price and Tavares are good friends and would love to win some cups together..
This is the kind of offense that Carey deserves to play with in front of him.
This would be a great deal for the Leafs, at 8,5 mil I think that Carey would be a good deal for you guys moving forward and would win you some cups.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
2018 1st = Back to the future ?

And dream on...
2019 first oh no

and lol
phaneuf and a prospect was pretty much traded to toronto, for two middle six players and a 4/5 dman
and phaneuf was a #2/3 at the time

Jason demers was traded for a middle six player alone

Marco Scandella
Jason Pominville
2018 4th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
for
Tyler Ennis
Marcus Foligno
2018 3rd round pick

top 4 dman get traded for meh sometimes it happens, dubas can pull it off.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Now Carey Price at 2 mil retained for the next 8 years, so you get him at 8.5 mil for a 2020 1st and what ever cap dumps you wanna give us to fit Carey under the cap.

So

Carey Price at 8.5 mil x 8 years

For

2020 1st, Andersen, other cap dumps

Price and Tavares are good friends and would love to win some cups together..
This is the kind of offense that Carey deserves to play with in front of him.
This would be a great deal for the Leafs, at 8,5 mil I think that Carey would be a good deal for you guys moving forward and would win you some cups.
too much money still, thats an extra 3.5 mil for carey we cant swallow that not for that long.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
too much money still, thats an extra 3.5 mil for carey we cant swallow that not for that long.
Sure you can, we will take any cap dumps necessary, you are getting the best goalie in the world and one of JT’s good friends, it would be a match made in heaven for Toronto, plus the cap will go up every year not to worry.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Sure you can, we will take any cap dumps necessary, you are getting the best goalie in the world and one of JT’s good friends, it would be a match made in heaven for Toronto, plus the cap will go up every year not to worry.
we dont have any cap dumps that are long term(horton is only 2 more years), price just makes too much money period, andersen give us better value for the buck.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Leafs need to keep Kadri, they need to keep their roster players and trade picks for some defense, how about Jeff Petry to the Leafs for their 2019 1st?
If we didn't have Zaitsev dragging down our cap situation I'd be tempted on that proposal. Hard to take another flyer on someone that can regress at that cap hit when we're already burnt by Z

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Why don't you go back a few more years 60 POINT season was the best he has also had 39 and 45 POINT seasons. He has never been a 1c in his career and corsi possession stats are far better for schenn and ror. Kadri is not and never will be a 1c. Ror and schenn have proven they are. Also your qoc numbers are barley different get a grip.

I thought you gave bonus points to ROR for being on the worst team in the league? The Leafs finished in 30th place when Kadri got 45 points. If you want to go back even further though, he had 44 in 48, but I would have thought that the last two years were more relevant than whatever happened previously when we're comparing players today. Brayden Schenn was a 41 point winger when Kadri had a 50 point season in 2013-2014, but who really cares about 4 years ago? In 2016-2017 Kadri played 82 games, putting up 61 points with +1.4 corsi rel, against 29.61 TOIQoC. That was the toughest competiton out of any Leaf forwards and he tied for third on the team in points and second in goals. He was second out of Leafs forwards in ES icetime. I don't know what you want a low end #1C to look like, but that looks pretty darn good to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those numbers would have made him the Blues runaway #1C that year.

If you want career numbers, ROR's Corsi rel is +3.1, Kadri at +1.6, and Schenn at -0.3.
For scoring
Kadri 313p in 488 games (.641ppg)
O'Rielly 422 in 651 games (.648ppg) - I did the math and Kadri comes in at about 417 points over the same number of games, not exactly a runaway victory.
Schenn 318 in 515 games (.617ppg)

I won't do career TOIQoC because that would be insane and irrelevant. ROR would probably win by a considerable margin, though.

Barely different TOIQoC numbers? Well, sure I guess. .32, the difference between Kadri and O'Rielly is only slightly smaller than the difference between Pietrangelo (29.46) and Parayko (29.1). Another good illustration of what "barely different" TOIQoC numbers actually mean is that Victor Headman, who ranked #1 on TB's defence with 29.4 was "only" .46 higher than Dan Girardi and his 28.94, which ranked 5th on the team. Patrice Bergeron has 30.01.

Honestly, I'm mostly just pulling your leg, but you're not even getting your numbers right in making your arguments. You've said that Kadri plays the weakest QoC, which is completely wrong, and then belittled it anyways. You're picking and choosing between career and recent numbers to suit your arguments for both points and corsi rel. In my eyes, ROR is clearly the best player and Schenn's 70 point season would make him better than Kadri if he can keep it up long term. But your arguments against Kadri are neither consistent nor accurate. He scores like a low end #1C, he goes against legit #1C competition, his possession numbers are fine, especially considering his competition, and he's played huge minutes for the Leafs even if he was playing behind Matthews.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Keep telling yourself that

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

I think you might change your mind when you see how hard it actually is to do any sort of line matching against us.
We have 3 30+ goal C's finally. Do you forget the dark days when we all prayed for One 1C let alone 2 and an elite 2C to boot. We are going to have the puck a hell of a lot this season.

Dubas will probably wait till xmas before making any sort of move for a D imho. When it makes sense for the team and not to satisfy the media driven hype to "fix the D" by any means necessary right now.

Lilly could be ready after next season to come up as well. Maybe we get a rental at the deadline to fit in with that possibility.

We don't have to win the cup this year and we don't need to make mistakes like trading Kadri to figure that out.

Besides. Trading a Kadri package for a top pairing D would affect our cap situation. A top pairing D is going to be making more then Kadri because of his hometown discount deal. That extra couple million would greatly affect our ability to sign the MNM.

The fact that they sold JT on how they were going to resign everyone and keep the core long term speaks volumes too. Kadri is part of the core.

Reactions: Marshy

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
He’s scored 30 goals back to back, now you’re suggesting he’ll score 30 points? Rich.....

I believe he meant that Kadri will score 30-40 goals given the precedence of his past two seasons. A simple mistake to make.

sarcasm, he'll score more than 30-40 friggin points though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad