Proposal: Kadri for a blueliner

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
The short...

Leafs are signing Nylander, he can play C.

With Nylander at C, Leafs would benefit more from a top four defenseman than relative to Kadri's value.

The long...

I know, Leafs are cap pressed and Kadri is on a great contract but I'd like to make the case for why this is the easiest fix.

1. Leafs are extending Nylander

Big money will be given to Nylander so to best fit that into the cap structure transition him to center.

Leafs have the luxury of sheltering Nylander and moving Marleau to C in a pinch, Leafs can treat this season as an apprenticeship for Nylander to C.

2. I see a disconnect between Nylander's value for a 'young top four' in proposals on this site.

Leafs fans want 1D or young top pairing blueliner for Nylander, other fans get offended, say 'he's just a winger' and it's been talked to death. So let's end that exhausted narrative.

Kadri clearly has less value than Nylander and he would be a better fit to get a say Manson (I'm not proposing that's fair just throwing a name for the type of player to target).

Kadri is a bonafide center, so offering a good center on a good contract to get the same back on the blueline.

Rolling the dice on Nylander becoming a better C than Kadri to address the blueline is better than going into the year without a blueline too thin.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Kadri's contract isn't as great as Leafs fans say. He's a good 3C without Marner. He'll score 30-40 points this year without the linemates he had last year.
Marner's production jumped considerably when he went from the Bozak line to the Kadri line, He's a producer not a passenger.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
No but Leafs need some bargain deals like Kadri. Also, he's pretty much their only guaranteed two way center, which Nylander absolutely is not, at least not yet, and I'd be shocked if he has it in him

Turn Kadri into a bargain player on the blueline, move Nylander to C and promote a winger like Johnsson who is making under a million.

Why is this so hard for people to address?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Toronto gets:

Rasmus Ristolainen 23yrs old( 5,4M / until 2022 )

Buffalo gets:

Nazem Kadri 27yrs old( 4,5M/ until 2022 )
1st 2019

Toronto gets a feisty young D with top-pairing D ceiling. He also brings a lot of toughness to their squad. Buffalo get their 2C, but have to add a late first to prey RR out of Buffalo.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Toronto gets:

Buffalo gets:

1st 2019

Toronto gets a feisty young D with top-pairing D ceiling. He also brings a lot of toughness to their squad. Buffalo get their 2C, but have to add a late first to prey RR out of Buffalo.

I really like Risto but he isn't good enough in his own end for what Toronto needs

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Toronto gets:

Buffalo gets:

1st 2019

Buffalo has exactly 3 good defenseman (going out on a limb and guessing Dahlin will be good here) and has one of the best prospects in the game coming in to slot at C behind Eichel. Trade makes no sense for the Sabres.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The short...

Leafs are signing Nylander, he can play C.

With Nylander at C, Leafs would benefit more from a top four defenseman than relative to Kadri's value.

The long...

I know, Leafs are cap pressed and Kadri is on a great contract but I'd like to make the case for why this is the easiest fix.

1. Leafs are extending Nylander

Big money will be given to Nylander so to best fit that into the cap structure transition him to center.

Leafs have the luxury of sheltering Nylander and moving Marleau to C in a pinch, Leafs can treat this season as an apprenticeship for Nylander to C.

2. I see a disconnect between Nylander's value for a 'young top four' in proposals on this site.

Leafs fans want 1D or young top pairing blueliner for Nylander, other fans get offended, say 'he's just a winger' and it's been talked to death. So let's end that exhausted narrative.

Kadri clearly has less value than Nylander and he would be a better fit to get a say Manson (I'm not proposing that's fair just throwing a name for the type of player to target).

Kadri is a bonafide center, so offering a good center on a good contract to get the same back on the blueline.

Rolling the dice on Nylander becoming a better C than Kadri to address the blueline is better than going into the year without a blueline too thin.

I'd move Nylander before Kadri

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We're prepared to reopen the Savard for Kadri talks any time y'all are interested.
deal.gif
;)

* * *​
Turn Kadri into a bargain player on the blueline, move Nylander to C and promote a winger like Johnsson who is making under a million.

Why is this so hard for people to address?
Because there's legit questions about whether or not Nylander is actually able to be effective at C at the NHL level at all, let alone as effective as Kadri has been. Among many, many other reasons.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Erik Johnson? I know he's 30 but Kadri is 27. He fits the type of D you guys could use although I know he's not young. He would make a good first pair with Reilly. But you might have to choose between a good player that is older or an okay one that is younger for Kadri. Av's could use a second line center that can put pucks in the net. We would really miss Johnson this year but we have young guys that are almost ready on D.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Buffalo has exactly 3 good defenseman (going out on a limb and guessing Dahlin will be good here) and has one of the best prospects in the game coming in to slot at C behind Eichel. Trade makes no sense for the Sabres.

I know, I know... Just would like to see Risto with Reilly. Think they would be a good pairing. :D

Mittelstadt alsowould probably be better shelted on the 3rd. I know they have Berglund and Sobotka also on the team. Both are 3-4th liners atm and Kadri is best suited on the 2nd. Maybe not the best trade-partners, I give you that...

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
We're prepared to reopen the Savard for Kadri talks any time y'all are interested.
deal.gif
;)

* * *​

Because there's legit questions about whether or not Nylander is actually able to be effective at C at the NHL level at all, let alone as effective as Kadri has been. Among many, many other reasons.

"Rolling the dice on Nylander becoming a better C than Kadri to address the blueline is better than going into the year without a blueline too thin."

Critical thinking is hard.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"Rolling the dice on Nylander becoming a better C than Kadri to address the blueline is better than going into the year without a blueline too thin."

Critical thinking is hard.
Yes, I saw your statement. Most folks disagree with it. Some quite vehemently.

I'm not as sure myself, but the Leafs are at best my #3 team so I'm not as invested in the debate.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Erik Johnson? I know he's 30 but Kadri is 27. He fits the type of D you guys could use although I know he's not young. He would make a good first pair with Reilly. But you might have to choose between a good player that is older or an okay one that is younger for Kadri. Av's could use a second line center that can put pucks in the net. We would really miss Johnson this year but we have young guys that are almost ready on D.

Great fit but much like with Tanev, injuries are a real concern.

Leafs just built up the 2nd best center depth in the league and I can't see them dismantling that any time soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad