Kadri Discussion Thread - Keep Him or Trade Him (New Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafstilldeath*

With all the trade stuff; why Kadri no yet resigned? get the contract done already

mikebel111*

Why is it that Kadri supporters only bring up stats to prop up this guy and not what they see on the ice? That chart includes the shortened season where he played on the third line, was in bettter shape than NHL players to start of the season and then fell hard towards the end of the season. Ever since, his stats have not even come close to those numbers.
A comparison to Nyquist above is also rubbish......Nyquist has 33% more points than Kadri yet they are comparable players? Did you not see that Nyquist goal where he held on to the puck for over a minute while skating circles against the opponent and ended up scoring the winning goal? Only in his dreams could Kadri do such things.
Kadri being a phsical player is nonsense......all his hits are opportunistic - he will run a player if they are in a vulnerable positions. Outside of that, he is not a physical player. He has been suspended a couple of times I believe for making questionable hits and is known as a rat.
This guy turns over the puck multiple times a game, is easily knocked off the puck and has regressed. He does not play "good defense" as so many here claim - he is getting better but it's not like you want him playing against other teams' top lines.
His faceoff % is below average and I just don't see this guy getting much better. I would trade this guy in a heartbeat if a decent offer came along.

wrong. nice one though
coming from you with comments about Rielly so I don't take your opinion seriously

keep making people upset Nazem

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
With all the trade stuff; why Kadri no yet resigned? get the contract done already

Franson was a UFA and had to be signed quickly and apparently was seeking 5.5 mill. and the Leafs decided not to sign him and so traded him.

Kadri on the other hand is an RFA and so signing a contract is not as important at this time however if he is asking as much as Franson and couldn't command as much in the market, as Franson could, I would expect him to sign a Bozak type contract, or he will also be traded.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Why is it that Kadri supporters only bring up stats to prop up this guy and not what they see on the ice? That chart includes the shortened season where he played on the third line, was in bettter shape than NHL players to start of the season and then fell hard towards the end of the season. Ever since, his stats have not even come close to those numbers.
A comparison to Nyquist above is also rubbish......Nyquist has 33% more points than Kadri yet they are comparable players? Did you not see that Nyquist goal where he held on to the puck for over a minute while skating circles against the opponent and ended up scoring the winning goal? Only in his dreams could Kadri do such things.
Kadri being a phsical player is nonsense......all his hits are opportunistic - he will run a player if they are in a vulnerable positions. Outside of that, he is not a physical player. He has been suspended a couple of times I believe for making questionable hits and is known as a rat.
This guy turns over the puck multiple times a game, is easily knocked off the puck and has regressed. He does not play "good defense" as so many here claim - he is getting better but it's not like you want him playing against other teams' top lines.
His faceoff % is below average and I just don't see this guy getting much better. I would trade this guy in a heartbeat if a decent offer came along.

You are the same poster who states that Morgan is nothing more then a 3/4 d man.....

Kadri is a good center who has played mostly with non offensive players since becoming a Leaf. I would like to see what he could do with skilled players before I made up my mind about him.

Like it or not Kadri is a physical player....he is also smart enough to take himself out of the play chasing hits....

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
You are the same poster who states that Morgan is nothing more then a 3/4 d man.....

Kadri is a good center who has played mostly with non offensive players since becoming a Leaf. I would like to see what he could do with skilled players before I made up my mind about him.

Like it or not Kadri is a physical player....he is also smart enough to take himself out of the play chasing hits....

I won't debate the fact I have been hard on Reilly and did project him to be a second pairing offensive type D.......but I also said he had potential to be a #2 D. He has looked much better since the coaching change but let's not carried away......he defensive play has been sub par and has been on the ice for a large % of goals scored against the Leafs recently. But yes he is 20 and has lots of time to improve. But for me, he will never be a number #1D who I want playing against top lines. I am happy to eat crowe at this point.

As far as Kadri is concerned, I don't see the physical component to his game other than running an opponent when he is is a vulnerable position.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Best resign him now. Might as well just let him play big minutes for the next few years and see how much further he can develop. Nothing to lose.

Also, I'm pretty sure he's hit about 7 posts in the last 7 games lol

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Hahaha, no logical response to all the valid points regarding Kadri. Ok so you want to use stats? He is on pace for 45 points and is a minus player and his faceoff % is garbage. Subtract shortened season and show me a stat that shows how good he is.

How about you scroll back in this thread/threads and fine the post where someone illustrated his stats on a per line basis. Guy stacks up with first liners in most key categories.

This team is a mess, judging any player on their ppg alone to provide any soft of meaningful judgement is a joke. Even on a 45 point season, Kadri has been comparable to Duchene/ROR almost all season. 6 days ago Kadri had 1 less point then Duchene (he has 5 less now), yet for some reason Kadri is garbage while the other is a solidified 1C?

Anyways, Kadri is 3rd on this team in 5-5 points behind JVR and Kessel. Doesn't take a genius to realize what he could produce with solid top 6 linemates and top pp.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
How about you scroll back in this thread/threads and fine the post where someone illustrated his stats on a per line basis. Guy stacks up with first liners in most key categories.

This team is a mess, judging any player on their ppg alone to provide any soft of meaningful judgement is a joke. Even on a 45 point season, Kadri has been comparable to Duchene/ROR almost all season. 6 days ago Kadri had 1 less point then Duchene (he has 5 less now), yet for some reason Kadri is garbage while the other is a solidified 1C?

Anyways, Kadri is 3rd on this team in 5-5 points behind JVR and Kessel. Doesn't take a genius to realize what he could produce with solid top 6 linemates and top pp.

Would you trade Kadri straight up for Duchene?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kadri is underrated by the people of Toronto.

The people who always rip into him are the reason why we are stuck with Bozak at 4.2 mil for 5 years.

Apparently the young 24 year old centre who makes 2.9 mil is the problem.

When we still have a 29 year old centre who makes 4.2 mil playing 1st line pp, with 2x 30 goal scoring winger playing sheltered mins and still can't put up 50 points.

Lets put this into perspective.

Kadri is hardly a problem, but we know he isn't a 1st. line center, which is the issue with the club.

Kadri is as much to the solution to the Leafs problems as Frans Nielson is to the Islanders.

Both are important to their teams, but they aren't 1st. liners.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012

I will admit the team is a mess and his wingers have been a mish mash of third liners. However, while he was paired w JVR or Kessel I didn't see an increase in production although the sample size ain't big enough to get a true sense of his potential. His stats may compare favourably 5 on 5 to many first line C's, but Kadri plays against 2nd line C's. You match him against teams top lines and I bet his production drops. At this point, if a decent offer was made I would have no problem letting him go.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
he defensive play has been sub par and has been on the ice for a large % of goals scored against the Leafs recently.

GA60

Robidas 1.51
Rielly 2.50
Gardiner 2.56
Holzer 2.67
Phaneuf 2.81
Franson 3.06
Polak 3.14

And he has the 2nd best Corsi Rel on the D after Gardiner. Just saying.

Edit: on further consideration the above is a bit misleading since there's a wide variation in save percentage for these d-men which is mostly luck. Here are the numbers adjusted to a 0.920 level.

Gardiner 2.35
Franson 2.53
Robidas 2.61
Polak 2.64
Rielly 2.72
Holzer 2.75
Phaneuf 2.80

So Rielly hasn't been great in terms of getting scored on, but it's not like he's drastically worse than most of our d. Oh, and look at Gardiner, he's really picked it up since the coaching change and is now solidly our top defender in terms of both possession stats and goals against. This guy is criminally underrated around here. If he can keep up these types of numbers his contract will be a steal.

Last edited:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
So Gardiner is the Leafs best D?

Just asking.

At even strength, yes I would say so by a hair. His PDO is 97% which is pretty unlucky and explains his horrible +/-.

Edit: actually if you look at ownthepuck.blogspot.ca, Gardiner's usage adjusted CF, CA, and CF% are all 1st pairing level. Rielly is elite top paring in CF, but replacement level in CA, for mid 2nd pairing overall (OP may have a point, most of his high CF% comes from offense). Franson was mid 2nd pairing with fairly balanced CF and CA. Polak is bottom pairing or worse in all categories. Don't even look at Phaneuf's graph, it's disgusting, like Clarkson bad, which doesn't bode well for trying to trade him.

Last edited:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Kadri is becoming less noticeable by the game. I still think he can be a great #2 C with the right line mates. I would love to see him with a player like Jagr, who really slows the game down when he gets the puck. Either way I'm ok with Kadri not doing so well this season so we can get him signed on a bargain contract.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Try to enlighten me about what Kadri has accomplished without using the words "scoring pace" or "potential" in your answer if you can. I don't think you can, as he hasn't accomplished anything. I am not making that up, I am pointing out a fact. Is getting promoted from the Marlies an accomplishment? You be the judge.

Over the last 3 seasons, Kadri is among the top 10 centres in the NHL in ES points per minutes played. :handclap: Pretty remarkable when you consider who he has had for linemates during that time. I'm not making this up either. :) But I'm sure if you want to, you can consider this to be "accomplishing nothing". :laugh:

I can't remember exactly who was ahead of Kadri but they basically the top centres in the game. If I remember correctly, they included Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Seguin and Malkin.

Players behind Kadri include Kopitar, and Tavares. Oh yeah, and Bozak. ;)

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Over the last 3 seasons, Kadri is among the top 10 centres in the NHL in ES points per minutes played. :handclap: Pretty remarkable when you consider who he has had for linemates during that time. I'm not making this up either. :) But I'm sure if you want to, you can consider this to be "accomplishing nothing". :laugh:

I can't remember exactly who was ahead of Kadri but they basically the top centres in the game. If I remember correctly, they included Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Seguin and Malkin.

How can you compare Kadri to the mentioned players with a straight face.

Oct 19, 2007

The question has to be asked.. Would you trade Kadri for either of Kopitar or Tavares straight up one for one ? You can use as your argument that Kadri already said he is equal in talent to Taveras..:naughty:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

But Bro, tell me what you actually see with your eyes, not this silly statistic mumbo jumbo.

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad