Kadri Discussion Thread - Keep Him or Trade Him (New Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Kadri for $6.0M! He's got to be worth more than Clarkson. No?

mikebel111*

Attitude issues kid diving and being lazy again:sarcasm:
Get rid of him!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's what I was afraid of. Something like 4.5 million per was too good to be true. As an opening offer from the Leafs- that's more believable.

5 x5 seems fair, hope they don't end up paying more than that.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
Kadri needs to be paid 6 mil or BOBO might be a liar.

He's too respected in the hockey community to be wrong.

For BOBO's sake I hope Kadri gets paid 6 mil.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Darren DregerVerified account
‏@DarrenDreger
Leafs and Kadri have discussed range of $, but not term. No offer has been made yet...and doesn't sound like Tor is in a rush.
Reply Retweet Favorite

And if you are the Leafs, why would they.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Attitude issues kid diving and being lazy again:sarcasm:
Get rid of him!

He's gotten better in those areas.

He's probably sucked the least lately. Decent 2C, but could benefit from some better wingers to play with. Should be a part of the core going forward if he agrees to a reasonable contract around $4m per. This team really shouldn't be shelling out any more than that for a 2C at this time. Too many other holes in this team that needs to be addressed/upgraded too. When Lupul is hurt, the 2C is mostly playing with the likes of Panik, Booth, and Clarkson. Pairing a $5M 2C with them seems like a waste.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/dreger-leafs-willing-to-offer-kadri-long-term-deal-1.189113

NHL Insider Darren Dreger breaks down the latest on the Nazem Kadri contract negotiations,saying, "the negotiations are underway however no formal offer to Kadri has been made at this point, five years at $4-4.5 million makes sense from the Leafs perspective."

That's what I've been saying.... At $4M, Kadri makes sense. At much above that, there are better options for that kind of money. Even the Leafs who have a habit of overpaying know he isn't worth much more than $4M at the moment.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
That's what I've been saying.... At $4M, Kadri makes sense. At much above that, there are better options for that kind of money. Even the Leafs who have a habit of overpaying know he isn't worth much more than $4M at the moment.

... such as?

If 4M is the lower range of their opening offer, they almost certainly think he's worth more and are willing to pay more. Nobody opens with their best offer.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Who are these guys who makejust over 4M at .7PPG over the last 3 years that are better value than Kadri?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Please list some better options. Your blind kadri hate is so obvious.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Bozak's cap hit is 4.2 mill per year and I would expect Kadri to earn the same.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I wonder if Kadri's camp will use analytics as leverage seeing as how he does have the best corsi numbers and generates the best possession on the team.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Based on player comparable, it seems likely that Kadri ends up somewhere between 4-5 million a season. The real question becomes then, where does he fit into the lineup on a Stanley Cup contender. Is he a 2nd or a 3rd line center? To me, he looks to be more in the 2nd/3rd range. On this team, obviously not the case. On most real contenders-- Kings, Ducks, Blues, Detroit, Bruins, Penguins, etc., he looks more like a 3rd line guy.

The issue is going to be adding another 5 million dollar contract to a team that is already capped out. Obviously trades are going to have to be made, but they are going to have to be made to acquire assets that slot Kadri into a 2nd/3rd line role. That means you are bringing back players who also have big contracts, since 1st and 2nd line centers, if you can find them, never come cheap. It seems to me that the Leafs are in a very difficult position to be in. Kadri as your #1 guy, or even #2 guy, doesn't win you a Stanley Cup. The rest of the roster is full of overpriced players who won't take you to a Stanley Cup either.

So, that is why some advocate to instead move Kadri, instead of Bozak, in a package for an established #1 guy. You could then slide Bozak into an above average 3rd line center role, at an ok cap hit. You try and move Kessel, Phaneuf, and Lupul at the deadline or the draft. All of a sudden the Leafs have significant money to spend in free agency, another top draft pick (a significant asset to trade or keep), a borderline #1 guy you get from moving Kadri + a prospect, a pretty good #3 in Bozak. Resign Franson in the offseason to a cap hit significantly lower than Phaneuf. Resign Benier. Still have money left over to get a #2 center and #2 winger. Hope that Nylander maybe can be a #2 winger starting next season, but that may be a stretch. You can't sign a #1 center in free agency, because they don't exist. The only way to get one is through either the draft or trade. The most tradable asset we have is Kadri, who is not going to turn into a #1 guy but could be packaged to get one. This could be one of the only ways to become a real contender quickly. Otherwise, it may take at least 5 years.

Sep 18, 2009
Based on player comparable, it seems likely that Kadri ends up somewhere between 4-5 million a season. The real question becomes then, where does he fit into the lineup on a Stanley Cup contender. Is he a 2nd or a 3rd line center? To me, he looks to be more in the 2nd/3rd range. On this team, obviously not the case. On most real contenders-- Kings, Ducks, Blues, Detroit, Bruins, Penguins, etc., he looks more like a 3rd line guy.

The issue is going to be adding another 5 million dollar contract to a team that is already capped out. Obviously trades are going to have to be made, but they are going to have to be made to acquire assets that slot Kadri into a 2nd/3rd line role. That means you are bringing back players who also have big contracts, since 1st and 2nd line centers, if you can find them, never come cheap. It seems to me that the Leafs are in a very difficult position to be in. Kadri as your #1 guy, or even #2 guy, doesn't win you a Stanley Cup. The rest of the roster is full of overpriced players who won't take you to a Stanley Cup either.

So, that is why some advocate to instead move Kadri, instead of Bozak, in a package for an established #1 guy. You could then slide Bozak into an above average 3rd line center role, at an ok cap hit. You try and move Kessel, Phaneuf, and Lupul at the deadline or the draft. All of a sudden the Leafs have significant money to spend in free agency, another top draft pick (a significant asset to trade or keep), a borderline #1 guy you get from moving Kadri + a prospect, a pretty good #3 in Bozak. Resign Franson in the offseason to a cap hit significantly lower than Phaneuf. Resign Benier. Still have money left over to get a #2 center and #2 winger. Hope that Nylander maybe can be a #2 winger starting next season, but that may be a stretch. You can't sign a #1 center in free agency, because they don't exist. The only way to get one is through either the draft or trade. The most tradable asset we have is Kadri, who is not going to turn into a #1 guy but could be packaged to get one. This could be one of the only ways to become a real contender quickly. Otherwise, it may take at least 5 years.

I agree with you about Kadri. I would prefer to trade Kadri and Franson. Everyone was excited to see the Kessel extension and now it's not looking so great. A large Kadri contract will come back to bite the Leafs.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

If you get Kadri at 4.5-5, you take Kadri over Bozak. Bozak is well into his prime years now. Kadri hasn't hit his prime years and already is becoming better than Bozak.

You are NOT going to become a contender quickly! I can't believe people still think that way. No one is going to trade you a number one center with mileage left in the tank.

Also, please tell us what would qualify as a second line center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad