Kadri Appreciation/discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So if i understand this correctly Kadri is responsible for players having good years but is not responsible for his own slump, its Leos fault Kadri went in a slump? WOW. Scapegoating at its best, fun stuff.
Yup Babcock was just tire pumping Kadri to trade as you said, but now you dont even say that ever because you were wrong. Hiding at its finest.
Fun stuff

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kadri's line got owned by Malkin last night there is no denying that they were on ice for 3 goals against.

One of the goals was of course a Gardiner head scratcher just giving away puck like Halloween candy.

Every line has tough goes now and then... as long as it is not a consistent occurrence but once in a blue moon kind of thing it is fine.

Kadri line has been pretty solid overall. In a game like last night; I would Kadri to play a bit physical to throw opposition off their game a bit; how Kadri can get Malkin to bite is something he has to work on

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Kadri's line got owned by Malkin last night there is no denying that they were on ice for 3 goals against.

One of the goals was of course a Gardiner head scratcher just giving away puck like Halloween candy.

Every line has tough goes now and then... as long as it is not a consistent occurrence but once in a blue moon kind of thing it is fine.

Kadri line has been pretty solid overall. In a game like last night; I would Kadri to play a bit physical to throw opposition off their game a bit; how Kadri can get Malkin to bite is something he has to work on
No doubt Kadri got owned bad by Malkin last night. The way Malkin's been playing lately is pretty much un-containable.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

If you watch that first goal against... it was the Bozak experience. Marner couldn't get back, LW wasn't even in the picture, this time it was Kadri, not Bozak that just stopped skating, knowing he was out of the play and would have to wait to respond to whatever came next. Funny the fans didn't rip him apart. But the odd-man rush against ends up in the back of the net. This line of Marleau, Kadri, and Marner are not hot... at all. They're risky business that beat up on Ottawa and a club that just didn't hit it's stride. Outside of those two games, that line has been a step backwards every other game. Those two games they routed the opposition just added to their arrogance against the Pens and cost the Leafs the game. One where they either needed to play more cautiously, more emphasis put on defensive play, or they needed Komarov to babysit once again.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If you watch that first goal against... it was the Bozak experience. Marner couldn't get back, LW wasn't even in the picture, this time it was Kadri, not Bozak that just stopped skating, knowing he was out of the play and would have to wait to respond to whatever came next. Funny the fans didn't rip him apart. But the odd-man rush against ends up in the back of the net. This line of Marleau, Kadri, and Marner are not hot... at all. They're risky business that beat up on Ottawa and a club that just didn't hit it's stride. Outside of those two games, that line has been a step backwards every other game. Those two games they routed the opposition just added to their arrogance against the Pens and cost the Leafs the game. One where they either needed to play more cautiously, more emphasis put on defensive play, or they needed Komarov to babysit once again.

In the winning streak it was either Matthews line or Kadri line that was doing the scoring.

Kadri line was fine against Tampa as well. Last night, was a blip it is not a common occurrence for the Kadri line. If we see this for 3 or 4 more games then you can start the anti-kadri parade.

Kadri is still a "plus" player; that IMO is pretty decent especially since he goes against oppositions' top lines all the time.

Reactions: stickty111

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yup Babcock was just tire pumping Kadri to trade as you said, but now you dont even say that ever because you were wrong. Hiding at its finest.
Fun stuff

Hindsight is 20/20 , especially when you disregard the environment that surrounded him 2 years ago, Kadri career was cross roads with the Leafs, don't take my word for it:

Nazem Kadri’s Leaf future hangs in balance after suspension: Arthur | Toronto Star

The very subject line of that article says exactly that.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
First goal against was on Zaitsev not tying up Hagelin. If he covers properly Marner's got time to get in the play and the odd man rush is nullified. Just bad D.

Second goal was on Kadri and Gardiner. Bad giveaway by Garda and Kadri has to be stronger on Malkin and get better inside out positioning.

Didn't see any other goals since I was out.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In the winning streak it was either Matthews line or Kadri line that was doing the scoring.

Kadri line was fine against Tampa as well. Last night, was a blip it is not a common occurrence for the Kadri line. If we see this for 3 or 4 more games then you can start the anti-kadri parade.

Kadri is still a "plus" player; that IMO is pretty decent especially since he goes against oppositions' top lines all the time.
Dont mind him. He is just upset Marner looks better defensively with Kadri then he ever did with his old C in Bozak. It shows how big a downgrade there is from Kadri to Bozak.
He also ripped on Brown to stick up for the incompetence of the "assistant captain and main leader" Tyler Bozak.
We are starting to see a trend where good wingers go to die defensively on Bozak's line. Kessel(2 cups without Bozak, could you imagine if he was given a higher quality centre here?), Marner(looks pretty decent with Kadri. Why?) Brown(looks good with Kadri, is the difference in quality of centre that huge?)
This line of Marleau-Kadri-Marner is pretty amazing. They have been great in all games against teams that hit their stride. They are smart business. Outside of 2 games, they have 2 steps forward every game. The last 2 games that they routed teams just added to their birilliance.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

If anything the Bozak line is a huge problem right now. Then again its the norm. They show up once every month and Bozak needs Marner to take care of him. Now that he is with a better centre, the line isnt very good and Brown unfortunately is getting the blame, and is suffering from how bad it is.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
My new favourite is him speculating that Kadri's horrendous slump might be a "trend". His attempt to spin his way out of that was pretty bad, even by his standards.

It’s amazing to me that you don’t think a player’s career will rise, crest and fall.

Equally amazing is that you seem to be able to predict everything. You can look at a single moment in time and know with absolute certainty where it will fall in their career production curve.

Don’t worry. Your Superhero won’t ever stop increasing production year over year. I also won’t tell you about the Easter Bunny or Santa, You just keep on believing you big silly loveable you.

The one thing you didn’t predict though was his contract value. Saying at the time he signed it was fair for his services. Now, given this increase in production, it’s rumoured to be worth $8m a season if signed last off-season.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Dont mind him. He is just upset Marner looks better defensively with Kadri then he ever did with his old C in Bozak. It shows how big a downgrade there is from Kadri to Bozak.
He also ripped on Brown to stick up for the incompetence of the "assistant captain and main leader" Tyler Bozak.
We are starting to see a trend where good wingers go to die defensively on Bozak's line. Kessel(2 cups without Bozak, could you imagine if he was given a higher quality centre here?), Marner(looks pretty decent with Kadri. Why?) Brown(looks good with Kadri, is the difference in quality of centre that huge?)
This line of Marleau-Kadri-Marner is pretty amazing. They have been great in all games against teams that hit their stride. They are smart business. Outside of 2 games, they have 2 steps forward every game. The last 2 games that they routed teams just added to their birilliance.

When you read some comments about some players like Kadri and Bozak on these forums, you know you'll never wear Leaf merchandise again. To be honest, it's pretty embarrassing. There's a huge population of fans that just think the best thing is three offensive forwards together for instance. Maybe they're not old enough to remember the Oilers NOT winning the Cup despite maybe having the best offense in the history of the game. The scoring won games for sure, but the defense won Championships. Edmonton came back a lot smarter and a dynasty was born. If you put lines together like JVR/Bozak/Kessel or Marner, chances are you're going to get high offense, mostly against weaker opponents and failure against teams that can play two-way hockey. And I look at a desired line of Marleau/Kadri/Marner and I see the exact same chemistry, and am starting to see the exact same results. Really JVR/Bozak with C.Brown might score less then with Marner, but I think the line will be better with Brown's defensive game. They're less likely going to get caught three men high. Personally, I don't like 1982-83 Oiler type attitude. It would be nice to see more offense on the first line, but you can't remove that Hyman-type element from it. It might score more, but don't think it's going to win more. Of course I want to see Marleau/Kadri/Marner work. But I want to see it work ALL the time. Not just racking up the score against teams like Ottawa. I want them to play against the Malkin's and the Crosby's and at least be on the right side of the puck all game. And if they can't, perhaps give Kadri one offensive winger, but replace one with someone a little more defensive. Yes I like Hyman and Komarov, think they're invaluable on this team. They're severely attacked by many fans, yet IMHO, these types are critical for success. With Connor Brown I have to guess it's his goal-scoring that gives him a pass? But it's not like he really helped Kadri score. I just don't see how a player who's is at best equal to Hyman is given a pass by fans. There's a lot of decent Leaf fans out there, but I think many of them are @#$% in the head.

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Malkin was amazing, just incredible they didn't put him on the top 100 list, what a joke. Good measuring post game in that sense for Kadri, hopefully he is capable of upping his game a bit more.

More than pretty decent, the fact that he did this for a couple of years with bottom 6 wingers is amazing.

Hindsight is 20/20 , especially when you disregard the environment that surrounded him 2 years ago, Kadri career was cross roads with the Leafs, don't take my word for it:

Nazem Kadri’s Leaf future hangs in balance after suspension: Arthur | Toronto Star

Sure, let's treat sensationalist headlines as if they were facts. Are you new to the Toronto sports media?

It’s amazing to me that you don’t think a player’s career will rise, crest and fall.

Equally amazing is that you seem to be able to predict everything. You can look at a single moment in time and know with absolute certainty where it will fall in their career production curve.

Don’t worry. Your Superhero won’t ever stop increasing production year over year. I also won’t tell you about the Easter Bunny or Santa, You just keep on believing you big silly loveable you.

The one thing you didn’t predict though was his contract value. Saying at the time he signed it was fair for his services. Now, given this increase in production, it’s rumoured to be worth $8m a season if signed last off-season.

What does all this have to do with you pondering if Kadri's horrendous slump might be "a trend"? You really thought Kadri became a 15 point player overnight?

Keep spinning and changing the subject and maybe we'll forget what you said, is that your strategy? :laugh:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
@Gary Nylund - a 15 point player? Whoever said that? A downward trend, if it happened, would be fewer TOTAL points vs his peak season.

I enjoy your misremembering and made up statements. It’s like a brand new story every day.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

First of all Arthur Berger is a JOKE

Second, even if you wanna believe him; Kadri's career hung in balance to such an extent that:

• Shanny, Lou and co extended him for 5 years
  • Babs trusts him more in any situation than any other center/player
  • Has been producing at a 60 point pace for the two years of the contract at a bargain cap hit (perhaps the best in NHL) while shutting down opposition top lines

Truly kadri is the problem; not the posts ridiculing him or insinuating that Kadri has "issues"

Bravo! :facepalm:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Second, even if you wanna believe him; Kadri's career hung in balance to such an extent that:

• Has been producing at a 60 point pace for the two years of the contract at a bargain cap hit (perhaps the best in NHL) while shutting down opposition top lines

Truly kadri is the problem; not the posts ridiculing him or insinuating that Kadri has "issues"

Can you facepalm his own words from 7 weeks ago?

“It was literally a wake-up call for Kadri. Shanahan sat him down and made it clear he needed to cut out the off-ice excess if he wanted to be an NHL player. But he also made it clear he thought Kadri could be one of the survivors of the rebuild.

"It was a crossroads in my career and I had to make the right choice
," Kadri said. "It was up to me, nobody else, to guide myself in the right direction.

"I had two choices: to figure it out or not figure it out. I told myself I would and I promised my family and friends I would. I think I panned out."

Nazem Kadri’s long road to Leafs' overnight success

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
@Gary Nylund - a 15 point player? Whoever said that? A downward trend, if it happened, would be fewer TOTAL points vs his peak season.

I enjoy your misremembering and made up statements. It’s like a brand new story every day.

I don't even remember the exact numbers, I think it was something like 2 points in 20 games which would make a 15 point pace generous.

I do remember that during that slump, you were wondering if this would be a trend. Spin, spin and spin some more but that's the truth.

It was funny when it was suggested that Kadri is a role player.
Lol

Don't forget easily replaceable. There's been a lot of fun over the years. :laugh:

Reactions: stickty111

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Again you can choose to live in what ever bubble protects you from the fact, the PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS said that Kadri needs to take heed with what this suspension meant.

Everything you bullet pointed happened AFTER the suspension and AFTER Kadri proved he got the message. Time-lines matter

I don't get why its so hard for some people to understand the SIMPLE English Shanahan used when he explained what Kadri's suspension meant.

You can dislike the reporter, you can dislike the paper that posted the article but you can't pretend what Shanahan said is not what he said, they are DIRECT quotes. You are entitled to your own opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Reactions: Pookie

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Again you can choose to live in what ever bubble protects you from the fact, the PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS said that Kadri needs to take heed with what this suspension meant.

Everything you bullet pointed happened AFTER the suspension and AFTER Kadri proved he got the message. Time-lines matter

I don't get why its so hard for some people to understand the SIMPLE English Shanahan used when he explained what Kadri's suspension meant.

You can dislike the reporter, you can dislike the paper that posted the article but you can't pretend what Shanahan said is not what he said, they are DIRECT quotes. You are entitled to your own opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts.
Funny you accuse others of making up their own facts, but you post "facts" like this

"LOL , make what ever excuses you want for him, he consistently does questionable things reckless things on the ice and he is always painted by you as a choir boy.

1) http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=484481 the video and explanation of the suspension. Clearly Kadri has no idea goalies play in the blue pain, it was complete news to him as he skates and falls directly through the blue paint... probably should blame that one on Backstrom for being in Kadris way. Poor innocent Kadri.

2) When a player REPEATEDLY dives and tries to manipulate the ref into calling a penalty when there is none to call, yes that speaks to a persons character on the ice. That is not high compete, that is high cheat.

3) Clearly Kadri was signed for less than market value as the tire pumpers were comparing him to ROR and Evander Kane before he signed is most recent deal... but since Kadri signed a contract, all be it less than the pumpers were predicting, this is some how a stamp of approval....

His antics on ice are like a Sean Avery light, you'll never convince me to like Avery's antics and you wont convince me to like Kadri's antics until he grows up and starts acting like a man and not a petulant child...

Hey you keep pumping his tires , little fella needs all the pats on the back he can get...k?"
Or this
"Well said, helicopter kids have no clue what hate is, any time something is said that they don't agree with its must be hate, how can you possible disagree with me... oh its hate...

It's unfortunate that kids have lost the ability to do critical independent thinking and just choose to follow the crowd.

Hey Kadri is a skilled, at the very least a legit 3rd liner. Lou I like your plan, so Let's continue to groom him to trade him."
Or this
"LOL no he can't , watch the missed assignments, watch how many times he gets out-muscled by bigger centers, the number of times he is caught comign back into his own zone late. Considering he has never had to play the role that he played last year, I think he gets an A for flexibilitiy but the actual execution was a D-."
Or this
"More "accidents" happen when Kadri s on the ice than any other player in the league."

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Funny you accuse others of making up their own facts, but you post "facts" like this

"LOL , make what ever excuses you want for him, he consistently does questionable things reckless things on the ice and he is always painted by you as a choir boy.

1) http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=484481 the video and explanation of the suspension. Clearly Kadri has no idea goalies play in the blue pain, it was complete news to him as he skates and falls directly through the blue paint... probably should blame that one on Backstrom for being in Kadris way. Poor innocent Kadri.

2) When a player REPEATEDLY dives and tries to manipulate the ref into calling a penalty when there is none to call, yes that speaks to a persons character on the ice. That is not high compete, that is high cheat.

3) Clearly Kadri was signed for less than market value as the tire pumpers were comparing him to ROR and Evander Kane before he signed is most recent deal... but since Kadri signed a contract, all be it less than the pumpers were predicting, this is some how a stamp of approval....

His antics on ice are like a Sean Avery light, you'll never convince me to like Avery's antics and you wont convince me to like Kadri's antics until he grows up and starts acting like a man and not a petulant child...

Hey you keep pumping his tires , little fella needs all the pats on the back he can get...k?"
Or this
"Well said, helicopter kids have no clue what hate is, any time something is said that they don't agree with its must be hate, how can you possible disagree with me... oh its hate...

It's unfortunate that kids have lost the ability to do critical independent thinking and just choose to follow the crowd.

Hey Kadri is a skilled, at the very least a legit 3rd liner. Lou I like your plan, so Let's continue to groom him to trade him."
Or this
"LOL no he can't , watch the missed assignments, watch how many times he gets out-muscled by bigger centers, the number of times he is caught comign back into his own zone late. Considering he has never had to play the role that he played last year, I think he gets an A for flexibilitiy but the actual execution was a D-."
Or this
"More "accidents" happen when Kadri s on the ice than any other player in the league."

That one is a classic ... one of my better written posts :D

What fact did I make up?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That one is a classic ... one of my better written posts :D

What fact did I make up?

What makes it well written is the interweaving of facts, quotes and context. Something missing in parts of this board.

I’m waiting for the denial of Kadri’s actual words that he was at a crossroads and Shanahan gave the choice that amounted to not being an NHL player or being a part of the future.

That should be fun.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What makes it well written is the interweaving of facts, quotes and context. Something missing in parts of this board.

I’m waiting for the denial of Kadri’s actual words that he was at a crossroads and Shanahan gave the choice that amounted to not being an NHL player or being a part of the future.

That should be fun.

I'm starting to wonder if our school system is teaching our kids that a fact is an opinion and an opinion is a fact, cause something ain't clicking in the old grey matter for some of these kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad