Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Most elite or top players score right away. Maybe, my expectations are too high...

Looking at other high picks:

Primeau: 3+4
Reinhart: 3+3
Turris: 1+4
Thornton: 1+4
Kakko: 2+2
Dubois: 2+2
Barkov: 2+1
Kotkaniemi: 2+1
J. Staal: 1+1
D. Strome: 0+1

Malkin, Van Riemsdyk and Ryan didn't even play NHL hockey in his D+2

Do I wish Kakko had more points? Sure
Does his 4 points in 16 games worry me? Not at all. He just turned 20

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
I don't want to be on here to stir the pot. Scoring seems to not be the top few on many teams. All I was saying is...the raving etc of prospects to a player that stats are avg if that, is concerning. Is he just another nhl player like a 2nd or 3rd line..or elite. At a certain point, not scoring when thats what he and the team thought can have an impact in a negative way. Kudos to point out that he is doing other things well. I guess when I watched the video from last year in the rookie game where circled the net 2 or 3x n scored..it was saying he'll be a star. If you see positive things. Then that's very good.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
I was looking at better players who do it from get go..but I agree its def not the only factor in one's ability.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Not really. But keep on going........Why stop now?

That is true.

He’s referring to top players/elite players. Look at all the top/elite wingers. They all show it by their 2nd year or by the time they’re 20.

Hall, Gaudreau, Laine, Tkachuk, Stone, Rantanen, Marchand, Marner, Kane, Pastarnak, Ovechkin, Panarin...they all showed it by YR2. All started young.

If you’re looking for Kakko to be elite/a superstar...it’s not looking like he will be.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Scott R - I’m with you. I’m not saying Kakko won’t be good. I’m not saying he’s not unlucky. He looks a lot better than last year.

But the history says he should be producing at some level with those guys who are the best wingers in the game. He’s isn’t. Not only is he not, but he isn’t even close to their pace.

You can like Kakko’s game and appreciate his improvement, while also believing he isn’t going to be the elite player we thought he would be. It’s ok to be disappointed in that, while also happy about his improvement. Both are true.

It’s quite possible that Kravtsov could be a better NHL-er than Kakko.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Looking at other high picks:

Primeau: 3+4
Reinhart: 3+3
Turris: 1+4
Thornton: 1+4
Kakko: 2+2
Dubois: 2+2
Barkov: 2+1
Kotkaniemi: 2+1
J. Staal: 1+1
D. Strome: 0+1

Malkin, Van Riemsdyk and Ryan didn't even play NHL hockey in his D+2

Do I wish Kakko had more points? Sure
Does his 4 points in 16 games worry me? Not at all. He just turned 20

I don’t see the point in comparing a winger to a center, when trying to see if a guy will be elite/one of the best.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Kakko was very effective again tonight. Can't get a bounce around the net. The Pens sticks blocked everything from everyone.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
82 GP and 27 points (12 G 15 A).
Again, lots of reasons why this is what it is. I think Kakko will be a good player. I don’t think he’s going to be a star though. He’s off the pace of the top wingers in the game...by a lot.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Kakko was very effective again tonight. Can't get a bounce around the net. The Pens sticks blocked everything from everyone.

Looking forward to Kakko’s induction to
the xG Hall of Fame, right after Matt Cullen.

At this point I am taking solace in the fact that he was the consensus pick when the Rangers took him. Same for Laf.

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
If laf and kakko don’t produce in a different system than either dump and don’t chase or force stretch passes that aren’t there, then I’ll be concerned. For now, I’ll be happy about the clear development of kakko’s solid two way game. Y’all need to chill

Reactions: CLW

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
If laf and kakko don’t produce in a different system than either dump and don’t chase or force stretch passes that aren’t there, then I’ll be concerned. For now, I’ll be happy about the clear development of kakko’s solid two way game. Y’all need to chill

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that he isn’t improving, or going to be a good player.

What is being suggested is that we should reset expectations on Kakko.

Maybe he isn’t the franchise altering, superstar winger we thought we were drafting. Maybe he’s going to produce on a level similar to Kreider or Buchnevich (60-65 pts/season), which is a good NHL winger.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that he isn’t improving, or going to be a good player.

What is being suggested is that we should reset expectations on Kakko.

Maybe he isn’t the franchise altering, superstar winger we thought we were drafting. Maybe he’s going to produce on a level similar to Kreider or Buchnevich (60-65 pts/season), which is a good NHL winger.
He shows skills that are vastly superior to those two (hands in tight, edge work, etc.), but he also shows some skills that are worse than them.

There is definitely going to come a time when all of this good hard work and xGF positivity needs to translate to actual production. That time is fast approaching unfortunately.

Was Marian Hossa a franchise altering talent? Didn’t play full time in the NHL until his D+3 and was a 15/15 guy at that. I think that development curve is what we need to be hoping for right now. I’m not sure what we were hoping for previously though.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rantanen and Laine seem to do just fine skating and shooting

Skating is holding back Laine a ton.
It’s honestly a damm shame, he’ll never reach his potential if his 1st steps look like slow motion.

Rantanen when he entered skating was his weakness and took a couple of years for him to take off.
Ristolainen the same.
Now the most recent is Kakko.

I followed it a lot few years ago when there was big media coverage on it. It’s very old school training with zero skating on summer. All work is off ice.
Laine for example went from April to September without any real on ice workouts at one point.

Then you take a look at bigger guy like Barkov who had the same weakness on draft day and didn’t go to Rautala school of training.
He’s easily the best skater of the group. He hired a figure skating coach and you can really see it.

Then you think how the McDavid/Scheifele/whatever group that trains how different it is to Rautalas.
They are like night and day

I believe in Kakko and believe he’ll be a game changer one day but it has nothing to do with Rautala. He’s just a negative for me.
I’ve seen too many times how these guys train all out on summer and look off shape once the season starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

They would 1000% be producing in another system.

We didn’t just get unlucky by picking weak first and second overall talents. It’s the team/system/environment/coaching they’re in currently that’s holding them back. And it’s going to do the same for Kravstov and any other skill forward that comes up the ranks in the near future.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

We didn’t just get unlucky by picking weak first and second overall talents. It’s the team/system/environment/coaching they’re in currently that’s holding them back. And it’s going to do the same for Kravstov and any other skill forward that comes up the ranks in the near future.

Laf and Kakko weren't seen as weak 1st and 2nd overall talents. Maybe not generational like a Crosby/McDavid, but far from weak also.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Twice in 2 years isn't luck. Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad