Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
He did start young.
Edit: Interesting article about his hockey interest as a kid (and the source for the pic). Unfortunately only in finnish
https://www.is.fi/mmkiekko/art-2000006104534.html
0f07c4274e514de9a68e707102287719.jpg.webp

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
A couple quotes from the above Finnish article:
"He was an exceptional individual, which was especially evident in hockey, but yes he was also good in floorball, football and all kinds of ball games in general. Dances, gymnastics and orienteering also went well...
- When there was no ice, Kaapo had been practicing at home for days with his brother with floorball rackets outside. That's where those quick hands have come from"

Reactions: Hazard78

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
I watch this video once a week.

Ok. You like watching tourneys and junior jockey. Problem is, we just don't know why some make it others don't. Raimo helminen broke Wayne Gretzky record in world juniors and was a nhl disaster. I dont have an opinion on his play..level of competition is much harder

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Ok. You like watching tourneys and junior jockey. Problem is, we just don't know why some make it others don't. Raimo helminen broke Wayne Gretzky record in world juniors and was a nhl disaster. I dont have an opinion on his play..level of competition is much harder

He was fantastic in Finland and at WC - both playing against men. He struggled last year and has found his game again this year. His play pre-draft is what we're seeing now. He's going to be just fine.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Kakko also dominated in Liiga and the CHL in his draft year.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
That's always a positive. But, for reasons I'm not sure of totally...being much better at lower levels doesn't mean you will be better or hold the same advantage at higher levels. If he has it. .then that's good. But in season 2...he has not been the scorer. Most of your elite players do it in season 1 or at minimum season 2. So nyr have 2 top picks and isles nobe..and the nyi are much better...weird sport.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's always a positive. But, for reasons I'm not sure of totally...being much better at lower levels doesn't mean you will be better or hold the same advantage at higher levels. If he has it. .then that's good. But in season 2...he has not been the scorer. Most of your elite players do it in season 1 or at minimum season 2. So nyr have 2 top picks and isles nobe..and the nyi are much better...weird sport.

The Islanders also have a more experienced team. They made the conference finals last year. 1st and 2nd overall picks aren't expected to carry the team in year 1.

Also, regarding Kakko: EVERYONE plays at a lower level pre-draft. If we cannot judge players based on that, we might as well not have draft profiles anymore. Kakko in season 2 has been one of our best forwards. Just because he isn't scoring 10 goals, doesn't mean he is playing poorly. He leads the league in turnover ratio, 2nd behind only Mark Stone in takeaways/60. He has a positive impact on the team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kakko was a beast today. That takeaway leading to the 2nd goal, the penalty he drew where he was held but it didn't slow him down at all. Crazy how strong he is on the puck now.

2 takeaways today. The kid is now at a 3.91 TkA/60

Since the start of the 2000-2001 NHL season (the season Kaapo Kakko was born), only 2 players have had a higher TkA/60 than Kakko while maintaining a GvA/60 ratio of 0.5 or lower*

min 10 GP

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Such an ultra specific stat.

Just trying to find comparable numbers. Kakko played 16 games so far so we have to see if he can keep up these numbers but it's great to see that he's showing the confidence and impact that made him a 2nd overall pick.

Today was a bad game by us and he was okay. Not great, not awful. Still 2 takeaways for him. The sole giveaway so far this season is also impressive. Crazy ratio

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
he’s becoming a good defensive player, but you don’t draft defensive powerhouses at #2 overall. I really hope he starts to pick things up offensively. He desperately needs to work on his shot. His playmaking isn’t bad at least.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Quinn was back at playing his Pejorative Slured N/S hockey last night, easy pickings for the Pens. Kakko definitely needs to work on his shot etc, but the bigger issue for me is that he is a possession/cycle type player and the Rangers don't care about that. If they can't spring a big forward free they dump the puck and scramble hoping for the best. This works fine against the weaker teams, when/if the bounces go your way on the day, but stronger teams have an easy time.

The Rangers neutral zone play is very weak (A. find a break away B. didn't work? dump it and hound it) and Kakko finds himself out of the play a lot of the time offensively. When the puck bounces out of the offensive zone after the dump he is good at picking it up again because of his talent and puck skills, but then the cycle starts over again.

Kakko has adapted defensively, which is fantastic and where he should start, now the next step is to learn offensive zone positioning, improve his skating and shot. He can't do anything about Quinn's style, or his linemates, all he can do is adapt and grow best he can.

Edit for comment: "Pejorative Slurred"? Lmao.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
he’s becoming a good defensive player, but you don’t draft defensive powerhouses at #2 overall. I really hope he starts to pick things up offensively. He desperately needs to work on his shot. His playmaking isn’t bad at least.
I agree.......easentially a number 1 overall..it was lose between him and hughes..you want offense. Time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad