"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So basically he’s gonna be Nichuskin

Decent start after being a high pick
Slowly starts moving towards bust
Massive hip surgery
Goes back home

Now all he needs to do is come back two years later and never score again.
The comparison that came to mind for me was Filatov. For that to keep going, tho, we need him to be traded for a 3rd and then a few months later get a "Poolparty don't do rebounds" quote.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It doesnt look good for Puljujarvi right now...
Not gotten much better since he was drafted and just had hip surgery. Ask Kesler and Lindberg how that feels for the next year. Lindberg could barely skate after his hip surgery, looked weird for a long time and was very slow for almost a full season.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yakupov redux

Completely different players. Yakupov at least had some compete to him. You could never question his effort. But Eakins messed him up pretty good, and he went from being a player with some swagger to a player who was scared to make any mistakes (because Eakins benched him for ANYTHING, including playing too well. Seriously).

Puljujarvi is more like Paajarvi. He skates well, sees the ice fairly well, and has a decently complete game. But he just can’t be bothered to put the effort in, use his size, or go to the dirty areas. And much like Paajarvi, I can see him having a decent career as a 4th liner. But it’d sure be a shame for Pulju to waste all that talent because he thinks he should be gifted a spot on the top line without having to work.

The comparison that came to mind for me was Filatov. For that to keep going, tho, we need him to be traded for a 3rd and then a few months later get a "Poolparty don't do rebounds" quote.

Pulju* PoolParty isn’t an actual nickname that anyone uses (except for some non-Oiler fans on HF)

But ya, that’s probably a pretty good comparison

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Why would he stay in Edmonton? Kärpät is a better organisation.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
If he goes back to Finland then just trade his rights. Playing on the big ice against lesser competition isn’t going to help us in any way.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
This kid is a player and will be very good for the Oilers when he’s fixed up from surgery. I’m hoping we get a coach who plays Pulju with McDavid, I see 40 goals and 50 assists if hes put in the right spot with the right minutes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Might not be the worst move. Head back home to develop for a year or two, Edmonton keeps his rights.

He's not ready for the NHL. Oilers should have had him in the AHL these last 2 years, uninterrupted, just developing. They can't go back and undo what has been done and he would require waivers next year. So this might be the best way remaining to get him the development he needs.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Karpat may want him back, but they don't have the money to come close to matching Puljujarvi's qualifying offer. This is Liiga, not the KHL. The only way I could see him going back to Finland is with Jokerit, thanks to their Russian owners who don't care about losing $10-15 million a year.

Also, Puljujarvi would have to clear waivers to go to the AHL next year, and there is no way he would possibly clear (I know that gets said about any half-decent prospect, but it's actually true in this case). It seems like this a ton of speculation, and speculation that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Puljujarvi still has some waiver exemption left.

He signed his ELC at 18yrs old. So he is waiver exempt for either 5 years or 160 NHL games.

Had he not been injured, he’d have hit the 160 game mark last season. But he currently sits at 139 NHL games played.

So he has 21 games of left before he is no longer waiver exempt.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought you couldn't trade injured players?

Nope. Just doesn't happen very often. Unusual for a team to want an injured player, or to be willing to risk getting an injured player.

Evander Kane was traded to Buffalo while already out for the season after surgery. Sabres were tanking. They wanted him for the following year.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The Oilers messed up with this player, but the mistake was drafting him in the first place. He just doesn't have it.

A year or two in Europe followed by a comeback attempt is probably the best route for him IMO.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
He's not ready for the NHL. Oilers should have had him in the AHL these last 2 years, uninterrupted, just developing. They can't go back and undo what has been done and he would require waivers next year. So this might be the best way remaining to get him the development he needs.

I can't imagine that the list of 4th overall picks that required 2 years of uninterrupted AHL time and then still turned out to meet expectations is very long.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sometimes players will bust.

It is what it is. I always saw Pulju as someone that had a high chance of busting in NHL. He was not a guy that was NHL ready, just a guy with a lot of raw, unpolished talent. That's why Kekäläinen picked Dubois instead, knowing he'd get more immediate results with less micro-management.

The past few years of his development have been a total waste, so at this point I can't really see a projection for him as a NHL player. He was probably better coming in, than he is now. He will be a solid guy though, at Liiga/world championship-level, once he gets to play in a comfortable environment.

He is still only 20. That is all.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
He is a confusing player to me. I still think at 4th when we picked him it was absolutely the right choice. Seems his injured knee took a bunch out of him. What bothers me is his agent here. I don't think we will see him, back with the Oilers but stranger things have happened. The thing is he is really young still and has had two injuries which have hampered development, this last one seemingly being a big one. I think he can still be a good player in the league but if after three years he is ready to jump ship because he isn't getting playing time, which should have never been promised to him, I have some concerns.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Not even the Oilers scouts wanted Yakupov.

Nail is an interesting case in that I really wonder how far he might have fallen if Daryl Katz didn't intervene personally.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't imagine that the list of 4th overall picks that required 2 years of uninterrupted AHL time and then still turned out to meet expectations is very long.

True - but that appears to be what JP needed. Oilers pro coaching should have been able to identify that.

Maybe 1 full uninterrupted AHL season when he was 18 would have got the job done. Who knows? But he should have had to win a job in the NHL in his 2nd pro training camp. Again, a failure of the Oilers pro coaching staffs in evaluating his readiness. JP is not the first Oilers prospect to be badly developed. There is a pattern here.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I would trade Pulju for another struggling borderline NHLer at this point, someone like a Sam Bennet (like Bennet, I don’t believe in us trading with the Flames).

Reactions: Flameshomer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad