Kärpät would like Jesse Puljujarvi back next season

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I criticize Oilers often but this could be good for his career. Go back to Finland and gain back the confidence. Then come back and have a nice NHL career.

Learn some English, kill the FEL and enjoy some Finnish chicks.. Bang. He will be back.

Reactions: McCanovin

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
more like what a waste of developpement. The pressure to win now in Edmonton has been killing their young guns.
I don't know if Edmonton really did anything wrong other than drafting him. he's not a very good player, and that's on him

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't mind this actually. Let him get some confidence back in Finland, and maybe he can come back in a couple of years. Let him grow where he is comfortable. And if he grows into an NHL caliber player over there, its a win. It's not like we can bank on him being in our NHL lineup anyway.

Reactions: Ippenator

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Love how HF immediately translates "Team wants player back" to "player wants to go back to team."

His agent came out and said he wants to continue his time in Edmonton. Somebody has already posted a link in here to this whole story being debunked.

I'm sure Vaxjo would like Pettersson back too, doesn't mean it's happening.

What is this the TMZ forums?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Love how HF immediately translates "Team wants player back" to "player wants to go back to team."

His agent came out and said he wants to continue his time in Edmonton. Somebody has already posted a link in here to this whole story being debunked.

TMZ has less spicy hot takes tbh.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Pettersson is under contract and doesn't have a tenuous grasp on an NHL roster spot. I could see Puljujarvi going back to SM-Liiga. He and the Oilers could be pretty far apart on salary numbers.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I don't know if Edmonton really did anything wrong other than drafting him. he's not a very good player, and that's on him
McLellan didn't give a role to the player, rarely communicated with him, gave him little to no leash to make mistakes, and benched him a lot. Management provided him little off-ice support (e.g. no English tutor for over a year, no arrangements to live with other players) and didn't have a clear development plan for him.

Elite athletes live and die on confidence, which is the source of offensive impact. The Oilers ruined his.

In regards to how Puljujarvi could have handled x and y situations better, you don't rely on teenagers to be mature and insightful. You give them a good structure, which the Oilers failed to do.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Pettersson is under contract and doesn't have a tenuous grasp on an NHL roster spot. I could see Puljujarvi going back to SM-Liiga. He and the Oilers could be pretty far apart on salary numbers.
His qualifying offer is $874K. He's getting at least that much. No Liiga team can afford anywhere close to that money. The top players in the league make around 300K Euros.

This is likely just baseless speculation around his old team wanting him back.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
What a waste of a #4 overall pick

I agree!! In my opinion, the 2 high first-round busts, namely Yakapov and Puljujarvi are the reason Edmonton continue to spin their wheels and miss the playoffs.

When fellow Finn Kekäläinen passed on him in favor of Dubois, that was a huge red flag. Especially now in hindsight.

This draft pick highlights the importance of the draft lottery. In 2016, Edmonton and Vancouver lose 2 spots in the lottery, and both teams end up drafting a couple of complete duds in Puljularvi and Juolevi.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
His qualifying offer is $874K. He's getting at least that much. No Liiga team can afford anywhere close to that money. The top players in the league make around 300K Euros.
I remember that being the case like 8 years ago.. I figured the salaries would be higher now.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pulju goes back to Finland for 1-2 years to work on some fundamentals. Comes back to the NHL as a middle 6 player. I can live with that

Reactions: Ippenator

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Double Hip surgery to boot.

RIP career

This is why I believe Finland would be a good call for him this year. He's very unlikely to be 100% coming into training camp, and another shitty year could ruin him from a confidence point of view.

He goes in, finds his legs in Finland while playing 22 mins a night and on a top PP unit, and is back next year at 100%. If the Oil have a great year he could even come over after the end of the FEL season and help with a playoff push.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I honestly thought the big 3 2016 Finn prospects were going to take the league by storm. Its been weird seeing Puljujarvi/Juolevi fail to materialize and now Laine is regressing as well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I honestly thought the big 3 2016 Finn prospects were going to take the league by storm. Its been weird seeing Puljujarvi/Juolevi fail to materialize and now Laine is regressing as well.

Laine had a tough year but still put up 30 goals and is figuring out his overall game. Jury is out on Juolevi. PooPoo is a turd though I'm afraid.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He should have been left down in the AHL for a while last season. Instead he got recalled after four games because Hitchcock wanted to work with him, and it resulted in him playing even less than he did under McLellan. :rolleyes:

He's very unlikely to be 100% coming into training camp
He's expected to be fully recovered by training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad