Kärpät would like Jesse Puljujarvi back next season

North

Jun 25, 2009
I really dont think that Hitchcock was the problem here.

I think there were a few issues (this is just my opinion from reading between the lines):

1) JP/Agent didnt want him playing in the AHL (I think they wanted the extra money of playing in the NHL versus AHL or FEL). This ones kind hard to prove but to me, when I look at his first year of the Oilers, its the only conclusion I can come up with.

2) Chiarelli and McLellan were never on the same page. I think this ones fairly obvious not just on this situation but many other Oilers issues. McLellan didnt think JP was ready for the NHL. I do believe that Chiarelli wanted JP in the lineup. Whether or not that was because Chiarelli was trying to save his job, believed in the player or had agreements with the agent who knows. McLellan was probably right that JP wasnt ready for the NHL but I personally think McLellan could of put JP in better positions to succeed or believed in him more. JP just seemed to do worse as time went on with McLellan. He definitely got jerked around in the lineup and was never able to find a spot in the lineup where he belonged.

3) I think Chiarelli wanted JP in the lineup, but wanted the coach to believe in JP because I dont think McLellan did. I think they knew that the Oilers needed more skill and outside of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH - they have very little at forward. I think Chiarelli was trying to save his job, and if he could of got JP going, maybe that would of helped. I think Hitchcock tried to come in and be supportive of JP, which started out fine but as time went on, they needed to win and honestly JP wasnt contributing or bringing much. JP simply wasnt making a positive impact on the games by the end of this season. Maybe thats the injury, maybe its confidence, maybe hes not as good as we thought but who knows.

4) JP is so weak on his skates, its baffling. The guy is huge, hes shredded. Maybe he works his upper body too much and not his legs/core, I dunno or maybe its the hip injury that we have learned about. He uses his size and frame so ineffectively. Hes afraid of contact, hes unable to hold onto the puck, etc. Maybe it will be better with the hip surgery, I dunno, but its bizarre.

JP hasnt developed well upto this point. The Oilers have done a poor job but I do think some of its on the JP/agent as well.

Also, Chia made it clear to Hitch he had to work at integrating young players into the lineup when they hired him. JP was always coming back up.

Reactions: FlameChampion

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
BennetT is literally better in every single way.

Pulju would probably succeed anywhere but the Oilers. I think Carolina is a good option. Oilers should propose him for someone like roland mckeown

Yes, that’s what will turn us around, an 11th string defenceman. McKeown is not good. Benning skates laps around him.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This kid is a player and will be very good for the Oilers when he’s fixed up from surgery. I’m hoping we get a coach who plays Pulju with McDavid, I see 40 goals and 50 assists if hes put in the right spot with the right minutes.

I would trade Pulju for another struggling borderline NHLer at this point, someone like a Sam Bennet (like Bennet, I don’t believe in us trading with the Flames).

Lol

17thRoundPick

Mar 19, 2015
I'm finding all these posts claiming Oilers ruined him quite amusing.
Kid just does not have enough hockey IQ to play with the best.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
more like what a waste of developpement. The pressure to win now in Edmonton has been killing their young guns.

Development maybe played a little part but I think even with bad development a 4th overall pick should be able to put up better numbers than what Puljujarvi has put up thus far.

I don't think he'd be much better off even if he got drafted by a different team. His game just doesn't translate well in the NHL.

Can't really fault Edmonton with the pick though as he was a unanimous top 5 pick, and also benefitted from a strong WJC performance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How do people still take anything Todd from Leduc says seriously?
Yeah, I was fully expecting 110 if Pulju played with McDavid........
Development maybe played a little part but I think even with bad development a 4th overall pick should be able to put up better numbers than what Puljujarvi has put up thus far.

I don't think he'd be much better off even if he got drafted by a different team. His game just doesn't translate well in the NHL.

Can't really fault Edmonton with the pick though as he was a unanimous top 5 pick, and also benefitted from a strong WJC performance.
Well, you have to fault someone. Either the drafting or the development, or both.

NHL teams should know more than the average fans and be held to higher standards. When you mess up a 4th overall pick, there has to be accountabiltiy. The excuse of the scouts Bob McKenzie polled would have taken him doesn't work. They are multi-million dollar operations in regards to a scouting department. Occasionally a top 5 pick will go wrong, but when you have 2 go wrong in 5 years (unless Pulju bounces back), you need to ask serious questions. Columbus passed on him, maybe it was center bias, or maybe they had a legitimate insight the Oilers scouts lacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOPE

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The draft is not an exact science. Every team in their history has had busts. No one has a perfect draft record. Puljujarvi would have been selected by most teams at 3rd and especially 4th. Yak was far more the consensus #1 in his year compared to Hall or RNH. It's not like the Oilers took a flyer on these players.

Reactions: Fixxer

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
He needs mentoring from experienced NHL Finns in order for him to stand on his feet and compete because he has the talent; if true that Edmonton didn’t even provide English lessons for him let alone help him settle then I really feel bad for Oiler fans for having inept management.

Nice to hear the Kärpät speculation debunked as I think it would now be a step backwards that Jesse would have a difficult task coming back from to return to the NHL.

monkaS

Apr 12, 2019
was the news where his agent says "Jesse will play in the NHL next season and that's the end of it" posted here already?

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
more like what a waste of developpement. The pressure to win now in Edmonton has been killing their young guns.
2013: Nurse- 41 points this season.
2014: Draisaitl- 50 goals and 105 points this season
2015: McDavid- meeting the hype
2016: Puljujarvi- struggling
2017: Yamamoto- Spent almost the entire season in the minors despite the Oilers being desperate for wingers.
2018: Bouchard- sent back to junior even though being good enough to make the team.

Pro scouting has been a bigger issue rushing high profile prospects into the league and ruining them.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He needs mentoring from experienced NHL Finns in order for him to stand on his feet and compete because he has the talent; if true that Edmonton didn’t even provide English lessons for him let alone help him settle then I really feel bad for Oiler fans for having inept management.

Nice to hear the Kärpät speculation debunked as I think it would now be a step backwards that Jesse would have a difficult task coming back from to return to the NHL.
what he needed was to go spend another year in the FEL like Aho did

he was rushed into the NHL when he wasn't ready

the kid has all the tools, but so far...hasn't shown the tool box

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
what he needed was to go spend another year in the FEL like Aho did

he was rushed into the NHL when he wasn't ready

the kid has all the tools, but so far...hasn't shown the tool box

The thing is he’s also not even 21 yet, so it’s not like he’s 25 and we are talking about him being rushed. A year in the A would probably do wonders for him. It’s not like he just woke up one day and forgot how to play hockey. He just needs some confidence and a little more 1 on 1 to adjust to the NA game.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I would trade Pulju for another struggling borderline NHLer at this point, someone like a Sam Bennet (like Bennet, I don’t believe in us trading with the Flames).

Calgary would laugh and hang up the phone. JP is barely an NHL'er and doesn't do much particularly well. Right now at best he looks like a AHL/NHL tweener, and who knows how this hip surgery is going to effect him.

Bennett might not light it up offensive numbers wise, but he's very effective in his role and brings a physical game that's needed int he playoffs.

JP is pretty much a reclamation project who will get a mid round draft choice, or head to Europe and decide not to come back.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Even Koskinen has been weak , also Larsson so why not do totally opposite , take over Manner as an assist coach

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
JP was really really good in a small sample in his rookie year, was mediocre in a decent number of games last year, and this year is just atrocious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->