Kärpät would like Jesse Puljujarvi back next season

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Reactions: Porkleaker

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The article only says that a Finnish team wants him back and that there were comments by his agent around the deadline. The rest looks like speculation. In particular, I don't see anything about never going to the AHL.

There has been some rumours that he didnt want to get sent down to Bakersfield.

Also, I think the way his first year played out on the Oilers, where he played 40 games (which burned a year off) when it was clear that he wasnt ready for the NHL, I think you can speculate that him and his agent probably had some kind of an agreement in place with the Oilers to prevent him from staying in the FEL when his ELC was signed.

I know the Oilers probably havent developed Puljujarvi properly but I also get the impression that JP and his agent didnt do himself any favours. He was just not ready to play in the NHL, he should of been in the AHL or the FEL but I am guessing he wanted to make more money which ended up not being the best thing for his development.

I hope it works out for him, because I am a fan, he seems like a good kid (who probably didnt get the best advice from his parents/agent).

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
What a waste of a #4 overall pick

Sometimes players will bust.

It is what it is. I always saw Pulju as someone that had a high chance of busting in NHL. He was not a guy that was NHL ready, just a guy with a lot of raw, unpolished talent. That's why Kekäläinen picked Dubois instead, knowing he'd get more immediate results with less micro-management.

The past few years of his development have been a total waste, so at this point I can't really see a projection for him as a NHL player. He was probably better coming in, than he is now. He will be a solid guy though, at Liiga/world championship-level, once he gets to play in a comfortable environment.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
He was just not ready to play in the NHL, he should of been in the AHL or the FEL but I am guessing he wanted to make more money which ended up not being the best thing for his development.

I hope it works out for him, because I am a fan, he seems like a good kid (who probably didnt get the best advice from his parents/agent).

It's not like he makes the calls, Oilers management decides who is up and who is down. I'm sure he didn't mind getting NHL salary, but it's not like it was his decision.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Karpat may want him back, but they don't have the money to come close to matching Puljujarvi's qualifying offer. This is Liiga, not the KHL. The only way I could see him going back to Finland is with Jokerit, thanks to their Russian owners who don't care about losing $10-15 million a year.

Also, Puljujarvi would have to clear waivers to go to the AHL next year, and there is no way he would possibly clear (I know that gets said about any half-decent prospect, but it's actually true in this case). It seems like this a ton of speculation, and speculation that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It's not like he makes the calls, Oilers management decides who is up and who is down. I'm sure he didn't mind getting NHL salary, but it's not like it was his decision.

But if he was on the roster for 40 games played (which is exactly 1 game more than what is required for burning a year off an ELC), why on earth would the Oilers do that unless there was some kind of agreement or threat from the other side? At the end of the 40 games, I dont think he was even playing much at that point. It just doesnt make sense any other way. So yeah I disagree, him and his agent were likely making some calls. Whether the Oilers should of let him and his agent make the calls is another question. These handshake type agreements probably happen all the time.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The article only says that a Finnish team wants him back and that there were comments by his agent around the deadline. The rest looks like speculation. In particular, I don't see anything about never going to the AHL.
ilta-sanomat is a tabloid and this is like, an opinion piece about an opinion piece so yeah

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
All speculation. Of course his old team wants him back, any FEL team would be happy to have him. Highly doubt he's going anywhere though. I doubt he will solve the problems in his game in Finland, which are mainly getting used to NA style of play, rink and language.

If he goes back now and doesn't develop into a completely dominating player in FEL in the next couple seasons, then I'm afraid it's going to be tough to convince a team to give him a fresh start and come back to nhl.

I think he should try at least one more year in another organization before going back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad