Value of: Jvr

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
That is not true at all. There was an extremely large number of habs fans that agreed a deal around JVR and the 9th would have worked and made sense for Montreal before the draft. The people that didn't like it were just very vocal about it.

umm no, it was definitely not an extremely large number. Maybe a few

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
That is not true at all. There was an extremely large number of habs fans that agreed a deal around JVR and the 9th would have worked and made sense for Montreal before the draft. The people that didn't like it were just very vocal about it.

Not how I remember it. Most were ok with it before the team took a plunge in the standings. I can think of a few posters that were ok with trading the 9th, but most weren't. Those threads aren't that old.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
no, habs wouldn't deal Sergachev for JVR. no chance whatsoever. And Bergevin wouldn't give up the equivalent of two 1sts and a top 4 dman either. Emelin is not a cap dump. It will be interesting to read all the experts in here if Alex is dealt for a good return

juulsen isnt the equivalent of a 1st. when he hit 52 pts in his draft year, he was a late 1st. 28 pts in his draft + 1..not so much. 95% of players dominate draft + 1, he took a major step back. emelin is an overpaid 3rd pairing D. not exactly a cap dump but little to no value.

deal is terrible. if the habs are actually decent next year Juulsen, pick 20ish, emelin would unlikely even yield us a top 4 dman in the future

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
in regards to a potential JVR for Fowler deal, if the leafs do it they have to protect Rielly,Fowler, Gardiner. Carrick is a goner.
I'd rather make this kinda deal after the exp. draft

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
juulsen isnt the equivalent of a 1st. when he hit 52 pts in his draft year, he was a late 1st. 28 pts in his draft + 1..not so much. 95% of players dominate draft + 1, he took a major step back. emelin is an overpaid 3rd pairing D. not exactly a cap dump but little to no value.

deal is terrible. if the habs are actually decent next year Juulsen, pick 20ish, emelin would unlikely even yield us a top 4 dman in the future

you post like a true expert. Juulsen's 'step back' was a broken jaw. His coach, who's opinion I trust, still projects him as a top 4 NHL d..and if he makes team canada jrs this year, he'll be a HF board darling all. over again.

It was reported last year an emelin for fowler trade was in the works. Emelin wasn't a bottom pairing dman - and for teams that value hitting and physicality he holds value. He's among the most physical dman in the NHL.

Weber, emelin and pateryn are going to kill people this year

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
in regards to a potential JVR for Fowler deal, if the leafs do it they have to protect Rielly,Fowler, Gardiner. Carrick is a goner.
I'd rather make this kinda deal after the exp. draft

I initially was against anything that made Carrick unprotected in the expansion draft because I assumed they would lose him. But then I went through every other team in the league and looked at which d-men they'd have to expose as of today and basically every team has a guy of carrick's level they wouldn't be able to protect. Most teams have a guy much better as well. I think it's far from a lock that Carrick would even get picked in the draft now.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The only piece that is fair for them is a 1RHD. Meaning depending on the player offered it will be the 1RHD+ for JVR or JVR+ for 1RHD. Or a 1 for 1.

OK I've heard it all now.

Hall (signed 4 years, younger) returns Adam "freaking" Larsson (#3 guy with potential to become a #2 guy one day "maybe")

But JVR (signed 2 years and older then Hall) is going to return a true #1RHD?

:laugh::laugh:

I love this place. Classic

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I initially was against anything that made Carrick unprotected in the expansion draft because I assumed they would lose him. But then I went through every other team in the league and looked at which d-men they'd have to expose as of today and basically every team has a guy of carrick's level they wouldn't be able to protect. Most teams have a guy much better as well. I think it's far from a lock that Carrick would even get picked in the draft now.

Also if you were trading JVR to get Fowler, and really didn't want to expose Carrick you could probably do the 8+1 and protect just 4 forwards. Kadri, Brown, Komarov, and Bozak. Who are they gonna take? Martin? Good, I'd rather keep Carrick and let them have Martin.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The only piece that is fair for them is a 1RHD. Meaning depending on the player offered it will be the 1RHD+ for JVR or JVR+ for 1RHD. Or a 1 for 1.

Unfortunately, pretty well every team covets that bonafide 1 RHD, and there are so few available.

Kessel trade deja-vu .....

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

GMGM drafted him though and they have to pick one player from each team, Carrick is likely the best one exposed on our team

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
GMGM drafted him though and they have to pick one player from each team, Carrick is likely the best one exposed on our team

You can only take 13 D at most. LV are required to take 14 forwards, 9 D, 3 goalies and 4 other positions of their choice.

There will likely be 13 D better than Carrick, so the decision becomes would you rather the 13th best D + our best exposed forward/goalie, or Carrick and the 13th best D's teams's best exposed forward/goalie.

But that really all depends on how Carrick plays next year. If he's good we could just go the 8+1 route and wouldn't lose any important forwards that way either.

So if a good offer is on the table for JVR I wouldn't decline because it puts 3 D ahead of Carrick.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
You can only take 13 D at most. LV are required to take 14 forwards, 9 D, 3 goalies and 4 other positions of their choice.

There will likely be 13 D better than Carrick, so the decision becomes would you rather the 13th best D + our best exposed forward/goalie, or Carrick and the 13th best D's teams's best exposed forward/goalie.

But that really all depends on how Carrick plays next year. If he's good we could just go the 8+1 route and wouldn't lose any important forwards that way either.

So if a good offer is on the table for JVR I wouldn't decline because it puts 3 D ahead of Carrick.

It's actually pretty insane right now if you look at the d-core Vegas would have. They'd be missing true top pairing guys, but would have a much better overall D than the majority of teams in the league. Obviously things are gonna change between now and the draft though and all these guys won't be available. But as of right now Carrick is way, way down the depth chart on available D so I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was exposed.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Hahaha amazing how arm chair gms think they can get a 6'3" 220 lb 30/30 lh wing for scraps. I would laugh at Eberle straight up. Would consider fowler but 2 yrs to ufa, I'd balk at that.

And this would be why the op asked for non leaf fans.

Ill give you 2 time 60 pt player (56 once ). Goals have gone down last 3 years although he plays for a terrible team. Hit 30 goals once.

Eberle 3 60 pt seasons consistently hit 20 goals also on the worst team imaginable.

Maybe you dont like Eberle but they are very comparable players.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And this would be why the op asked for non leaf fans.

Ill give you 2 time 60 pt player (56 once ). Goals have gone down last 3 years although he plays for a terrible team. Hit 30 goals once.

Eberle 3 60 pt seasons consistently hit 20 goals also on the worst team imaginable.

Maybe you dont like Eberle but they are very comparable players.

I know i am not supposed to respond, but for me, trading JVR for a comparable winger makes zero sense. Trade him for D (preferred RHD) or keep him.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

Hall (signed 4 years, younger) returns Adam "freaking" Larsson (#3 guy with potential to become a #2 guy one day "maybe")

Lol it isn't hard for the Leafs to get a 1RHD. Our best guy is Zaitsev & Carrick (both unproven). It will be pretty easy to grab a guy to replace Matt freakin Hunwick on the top line with JVR.

Also did you really just imply the Hall trade was a fair assessment for future deals? Wow, give your head a shake. Better yet lower it in shame.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Lol it isn't hard for the Leafs to get a 1RHD. Our best guy is Zaitsev & Carrick (both unproven). It will be pretty easy to grab a guy to replace Matt freakin Hunwick on the top line with JVR.

Also did you really just imply the Hall trade was a fair assessment for future deals? Wow, give your head a shake. Better yet lower it in shame.

The Hall trade now joins the Gaustad and Forsberg deals for benchmarks.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I know i am not supposed to respond, but for me, trading JVR for a comparable winger makes zero sense. Trade him for D (preferred RHD) or keep him.

lol, i dont really care. just thought that one was funny cause the guy was adamant bout boosting JVRs value. Understand what your saying. Why make a lateral move.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
I think he is a solid player on a good contract. He has a high hockey IQ. Knows the right place to be. big body.

as an islander fan i would give up:

1st rounder(16-28)
Low end A prospect(Dall colle//ho sang)

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think he is a solid player on a good contract. He has a high hockey IQ. Knows the right place to be. big body.

as an islander fan i would give up:

1st rounder(16-28)
Low end A prospect(Dall colle//ho sang)

Id do this as a Leafs fan.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
Id do this as a Leafs fan.

some isles fans may not want to give up that much, but ive always been a huge fan of the way jvr plays the game. we know what he is. Its not like he has this incredible skill set, but damn does he have a knack for finding the back of the net anyway possible.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

Not that I agree JVR would return a 1RHD - but the poster didn't even say he would.
The post you quoted literally says it may take JVR+.

Also, just because 1 GM in a horrible negotiating position gets fleeced doesn't mean that the rest of the trades in the NHL will all follow a similar structure. Markets are fluid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad