Value of: Jvr

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
why would Edmonton do that?
Positionally it would make no sense as they have Lucic and Pouliot on the left side and this would leave yak and what Kassain as their top 2 RW?

just from a value stand point as a fan of neither team I would value eberle over JVR.

Leafs wouldn't.

They have no need for small skilled players like Eberle, while the value is probably equal, it makes zero sense for Toronto because JVR fills a much bigger need, with his size and how good he is around the net, Leafs would rather JVR.

Plus leafs need to keep JVR to insulate the younger forwards we're bringing in this year, we're bare upfront with proven NHL forwards other than Kadri, Bozak, and JVR. He's probably the only forward on the Leafs you can reasonably expect to pot 30 next year, barring he stays healthy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed, that trade doesn't make sense given you have Rielly and Gardiner on the LS. I was just thinking about value.

Yeah very fair offer though man which you typically do make :)

Ok so if Leafs keep him, how much does he re-sign for? 6x6?

I'd try to keep it to 5 years at 6M per as he'll be 29 at the end of this deal if I recall right. I think it's do-able. He doesn't play an overly physical game that is going to result in his body breaking down from what I can tell.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Based on the Despres/Sorensen thread you just created I'm assuming you don't value him very highly that's for sure!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Leafs wouldn't.

They have no need for small skilled players like Eberle, while the value is probably equal, it makes zero sense for Toronto because JVR fills a much bigger need, with his size and how good he is around the net, Leafs would rather JVR.

Plus leafs need to keep JVR to insulate the younger forwards we're bringing in this year, we're bare upfront with proven NHL forwards other than Kadri, Bozak, and JVR. He's probably the only forward on the Leafs you can reasonably expect to pot 30 next year, barring he stays healthy.

I was more looking at it from neither teams perspective. I would rather have the younger less injury prone player that is signed for an extra year. Even taking injuries out of it (I do think JVR's are overblown) Eberle has had better PPG than JVR over the last three seasons.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I was more looking at it from neither teams perspective. I would rather have the younger less injury prone player that is signed for an extra year. Even taking injuries out of it (I do think JVR's are overblown) Eberle has had better PPG than JVR over the last three seasons.

JVR is 1 year older, and has played 18 less games then Eberle the past 3 years, barely worth bringing up.

It depends on who you ask I guess, I value the bigger and better goal scorer who is money around the net then Eberle who I will admit is a very good player and has been undervalued because of the team he plays for but is really not needed in Toronto.

Like I said, in a vacuum the value is close, but I'd rather stick with JVR.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Hahaha amazing how arm chair gms think they can get a 6'3" 220 lb 30/30 lh wing for scraps. I would laugh at Eberle straight up. Would consider fowler but 2 yrs to ufa, I'd balk at that.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
A player becoming UFA in 2 years isn't worth much with the expansion draft coming next summer. Would you want to protect one less player because of him? I would not.

Lol great logic.

"Well, we could trade for him but then we wouldn't be able to protect this other player who isn't as good."

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hahaha amazing how arm chair gms think they can get a 6'3" 220 lb 30/30 lh wing for scraps. I would laugh at Eberle straight up. Would consider fowler but 2 yrs to ufa, I'd balk at that.

You know JVR is 2 years until UFA right?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
From Habs -

2017 1st, Noah Juulsen, Alexei Emelin

Not enough. Hab fans(not all but some) were offering the 9th pick in this past draft abd some were even offering a plus. That 17th pick could be a mid 20s pick if the habs make It back to the playoffs. Emelin is a cap dump for the leafs and isn't a player that's really needed. Julien is a good prospect but he isn't good enough tl to be the best piece for jvr. His numbers got worse in juniors, but I hear it was because he was focusing on his two way game more. I don't think we can agree on a habs and leafs trade for jvr. I would want sergachev I don't think the habs would deal him.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Not enough. Hab fans(not all but some) were offering the 9th pick in this past draft abd some were even offering a plus. That 17th pick could be a mid 20s pick if the habs make It back to the playoffs. Emelin is a cap dump for the leafs and isn't a player that's really needed. Julien is a good prospect but he isn't good enough tl to be the best piece for jvr. His numbers got worse in juniors, but I hear it was because he was focusing on his two way game more. I don't think we can agree on a habs and leafs trade for jvr. I would want sergachev I don't think the habs would deal him.

Very few were and I doubt those same fans would now trade Sergachev for 2 years of JVR - especially with PK gone.

We need Emelin. He's back to form. Hardly a cap dump.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Very few were and I doubt those same fans would now trade Sergachev for 2 years of JVR - especially with PK gone.

fair enough. I understand not wanting to trade serg and keep on building the prospect pool. It's just the leafs would want either a top 4 dmen coming back or a prospect with top end potential. We will most likely keep jvr as lou and management like him as a player and he was able to continue to producue despite playing with less talent.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

That is not true at all. There was an extremely large number of habs fans that agreed a deal around JVR and the 9th would have worked and made sense for Montreal before the draft. The people that didn't like it were just very vocal about it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That is not true at all. There was an extremely large number of habs fans that agreed a deal around JVR and the 9th would have worked and made sense for Montreal before the draft. The people that didn't like it were just very vocal about it.

I wonder if the PK deal was done before the draft if those people would still feel the same way.

No way of knowing.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Fowler is not perfect. Neither is JVR. The OP didn't ask for trade proposals. He asked for value. Fowler straight up would be full value for JVR.

Which means Toronto declines which means you are wrong. The guy asked what the value for JVR is. It is simple. They need a young 1st line winger to play with Matthews. You know like JVR. The only piece that is fair for them is a 1RHD. Meaning depending on the player offered it will be the 1RHD+ for JVR or JVR+ for 1RHD. Or a 1 for 1.

Value is variable. You can always break down any player to picks if you want but that value is dependant on who is paying and who is getting and what they want. Doesn't mean picks are what is best. I mean how many firsts is McDavid worth? 4? 5? 10? Pick an amount that is fair then add one. Should Edmonton trade McDavid for those picks? Not likely. Same with JVR. You can spout any package of 1st+blah blah blah or say he is worth a Fowler or Eberle it doesn't mean that is what he gets.

The point of this is to find a fair offer from Anaheim. Don't believe me? Check the poster's stupid offer of Despres+ in another thread.

The short answer. There isn't one from Anaheim. We don't need Fowler (meaning you have to sweeten with overpayment pieces so we can flip THOSE pieces for a replacement JVR resulting in a net gain, which is stupid) and you won't move Vatanen for the RHD we need. And of course won't trade better players than JVR like Getzlaf, Perry, or Lindholm so Anaheim won't work.

Last point. Stop offering Toronto fans a package for JVR. We have 8 defensemen and like 15 potential forwards (obviously not all will make the team) and more bottom line depth is not wanted.

I hope that helped. And if you still don't get it then ask yourself. What would be a fair package for Perry? If you are not willing to take a package of 2-3 players and 2nd round picks that are not potential top line players then stop offering the same for JVR.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
A player becoming UFA in 2 years isn't worth much with the expansion draft coming next summer. Would you want to protect one less player because of him? I would not.

if he is traded in a 1 for 1, fowler maybe?, the team wouldnt need to protect 1 less player. in the case of anaheim,nashville or any other team that may need to go the 8 skater route, moving a dman for JVR would actually allow them to go 7/3/1, giving them 2 extra protection spots.

something to think about

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
No need to be greedy. They need whatever helps make this team better.

You're right but Fowler doesn't do that. Yes he makes the defense much better but it destroys our forward core. Really badly too. All in all unless Fowler or Reilly can play the right side and get 40 points doing it then that deal likely makes us worse.

Value wise it is decent but people make the mistake of confusing value for need. Toronto doesn't need Fowler. Not like Edmonton needed Larsson for example. Hall has so much more value than Larsson yet it was a 1 for 1 deal. You know why? Because Edmonton NEEDED to do that deal. NJ didn't. NJ could (and did) sit there and say "I know all you want is a 2nd round pick on top of that but I don't need to make this trade so I won't". Toronto is in the same situation. They don't need to trade JVR. Heck they need JVR. Meaning unless they fill a more important need (a 1RHD) they won't trade him. Not until his job is taken by someone else or it becomes clear JVR won't extend with Toronto, which we won't know for another year.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

no, habs wouldn't deal Sergachev for JVR. no chance whatsoever. And Bergevin wouldn't give up the equivalent of two 1sts and a top 4 dman either. Emelin is not a cap dump. It will be interesting to read all the experts in here if Alex is dealt for a good return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad